Panthers select Russian teen

Panthers select Russian teen

There are 26 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jun 27, 2009, titled Panthers select Russian teen. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

After much discussion and consideration, the Panthers ended up not making a move with defenseman Jay Bouwmeester at the NHL Draft on Friday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 08

Orlando, FL

#1 Jun 27, 2009
Wow. Lots of interest in this pick.
isles fan

Miami, FL

#2 Jun 27, 2009
Numbers_Guy wrote:
Wow. Lots of interest in this pick.
yeah really. but who cares, most hockey fans here are transplants who root for other reams like me. the Islanders got Tavares. Lets Go Islanders!
RED BARON

Boca Raton, FL

#3 Jun 27, 2009
What a letdown. Not only does Sexton pick another soft Euro, but a defenseman on top of that. In the words of the Who... Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

If Kulikov does turn into anything decent he'll want out of here just like all the rest. Defensemen historically take far longer to develop as well so don't expect to see much out of this kid for a few years. This is the NHL purgatory we like to call the Florida Panthers.

By the way, the clock is quickly running out for Sexton to deal Bouwmeester. My gut tells me interested teams have already made a verbal pact to wait out the "negotiating rights" period so they can pick Bouwmeester clean from this decaying franchise without Sexton getting in the way. So far it's all playing out exactly as I thought it would. While everyone was getting sticky over what we might get in return for Bouwmeester we might very well lose him for less than a penny. Sheesh... that's even worse than how we lost Luongo and Jokinen. This franchise always finds new ways to top itself when it comes to stepping on their own d)i(ck.
DK Schrute

Bakersfield, CA

#4 Jun 27, 2009
All reports on Kulikov are that while he is an offensive defenseman that he does play with an edge and does hit people. Why are you labeling him soft? Just because he's from Russia? Have you seen him play? Doubt it!
Kulikov won a lot of awards in the QMJHL last year so hopefully he'll pan out. Being negative about the pick at this point is just you being negative for no real reason.
While scoring is always an issue the Panthers only have 3 D-men under contract so drafting more isn't a bad idea especially one who can put up points.

Your point on Bouwmeester is a much better one. Two chances to to get something for him and they whiffed again. How is that is possible...if they don't trade him today it doesn't look like they will and in the end get absolutely nothing for him which is inexcusable.

To all those who blather on and on over these boards about how great Bouwmeester is: I find it funny that the Flyers would rather have an almost 35 year old Chris Pronger than Bouwmeester.
Holy Cow

Fort Collins, CO

#5 Jun 27, 2009
Sounds like a great pick on the surface, but the nagging question is why was a kid who is so good, and possibly has the ability to play in the NHL next year available at the 14 spot??? Talent wise he was projected to go higher, and the Cats were surprised he was still on the board when their pick came around.

My guess is other teams were not willing to spend a top pick on guy who will be highly sought after by the KHL. No matter how much the kid says he wants to play in the NHL, lets see if ever dons a Panthers jersey when when the huge KHL money comes knocking.

Could be the steal of the draft, or a major bust.

Of course everything is perspective, if the redwings made the same pick in the same spot, the pundits would add another feather in the kenny holland genius crown, and would call DK the next coming of nik lidstrom.

Overall I like the pick.
isles fan

Miami, FL

#6 Jun 27, 2009
RED BARON wrote:
What a letdown. Not only does Sexton pick another soft Euro, but a defenseman on top of that. In the words of the Who... Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
If Kulikov does turn into anything decent he'll want out of here just like all the rest. Defensemen historically take far longer to develop as well so don't expect to see much out of this kid for a few years. This is the NHL purgatory we like to call the Florida Panthers.
By the way, the clock is quickly running out for Sexton to deal Bouwmeester. My gut tells me interested teams have already made a verbal pact to wait out the "negotiating rights" period so they can pick Bouwmeester clean from this decaying franchise without Sexton getting in the way. So far it's all playing out exactly as I thought it would. While everyone was getting sticky over what we might get in return for Bouwmeester we might very well lose him for less than a penny. Sheesh... that's even worse than how we lost Luongo and Jokinen. This franchise always finds new ways to top itself when it comes to stepping on their own d)i(ck.
I know the feeling. the Islanders were stepping on their own d)ic(ks for over a decade until last night.
Wait a Minute

Miami, FL

#7 Jun 27, 2009
RED BARON wrote:
What a letdown. Not only does Sexton pick another soft Euro, but a defenseman on top of that. In the words of the Who... Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.....
Red - he's anything but a soft Euro. Pierre McGuire's comment on him in the 1st round wrap-up on TSN is:

Analysis: "He has poise with the puck and is not afraid to get physical. He's not shy, will lay the hammer on you and can step up offensively." - Pierre McGuire

Kulikov is also very close to being ready to play in the NHL. Yeah, even after he makes the club he will need to mature, like any other player, but this is a kid who made the decision to move a year ago from Russia to Canada in order to play Jr hockey in North America and learn the North American style of play. He not only adapted quickly, but excelled. He also quickly learned to speak English and supposedly French too - which tells you that he's got smarts.

I watched him in the Memorial Cup tourney and he was impressive (and I posted about him numerous times in the past weeks). The only reason he was available at the 14th slot was because many GM's are scared to pick a Russian because of the transfer agreement mess and the KHL starting to throw more significant cash at players.

As for picking up a defenseman, I think it's a looming hole for the Panthers. Bouwmeester is gone, McCabe is not exactly a kid, Allen has a history of knee problems, Eminger is still an enigma and except for Ballard, there is no one you can assuredly say will be here a few years down the road.
Wait a Minute

Miami, FL

#8 Jun 27, 2009
isles fan wrote:
<quoted text>I know the feeling. the Islanders were stepping on their own d)ic(ks for over a decade until last night.
I think they stepped on it again last night. Why move up to 12th from 16th in order to grap Calvin De Haan, a kid who wasn't even projected in the top 20 and likely would have been there at 16? He's also a few years away from even competing for a roster spot. Why not take Zack Kassian at 12 before Buffalo grabs him, as he is a kid who would give them a Clark Gillies type toughness and ability to compliment more skilled guys (though he does have reasonably good skills). The Isles made a splash, but I'm not convinced they didn't do a belly flop on that pick.
The Other Side

Boca Raton, FL

#9 Jun 27, 2009
Bou to Calgary for Jordan Leopold and Calgary's 3rd round pick. Decent move. We got something for him. Leopold is solid. He posted 7 goals and 17 assists last year. This is a good step for the Panthers'. We also just drafted Drew Shore... 6 ft 2in center. Big guy. Reminds me a lot of David Booth. Though Booth isn't a center he has the same type of gritty play. At least the deal is done. We got a solid roster player in Leopold. Kulikov will most likely be on the NHL roster next season. I think we'll hang on to Eminger too.

The Islanders didn't do anything special. Should have taken Kassian like WaM said. I thought that's what they were doing. Tavares just adds more depth to the AHL team that the Isles' are putting on the ice next year. They also drafted a goal tender with their first pick today.
Pink Baroness

New Orleans, LA

#10 Jun 27, 2009
Apparently they had a problem deciding on the pick at the table. My reading into this: Pete DeBoer was the big absent
at the table- Sexon had to be on the phone with him after Buffalo got #13- Also because Luce's comment in the paper today implies that the coach should be pleased w/ Kulikov on board-Very good pick, but it's time to stop procrastinating with signing- Repik, Mathias must start playing too- they must stop killing the development of youth because of more $$$ saved.
Pink Baroness

New Orleans, LA

#11 Jun 27, 2009
-oops- not Sex-on, Sex-Ton
Czechoslovakian Dissident

New Orleans, LA

#12 Jun 27, 2009
Obviously this pick was made to fill the soon-to-be gaping hole on D once Bouwmeester officially becomes an ex-Panther. Don't know much about Kulikov but according to the "experts" he has the potential to become a very good player. His awards and accolades at the junior level are impressive.

Now comes the pressing question....will we acquire ANYTHING for Bouwmeester? Or will Jacques Martin doing nothing at the trade deadline come back and bite us on the ars? The thought of losing All-Star Bouwmeester for absolutely nothing in return stings bad.

This team must acquire some scoring punch via a trade or free agent acquisition. Our lack of scoring was all to apparent toward the end of the season when the contenders were tightening their play and goal scoring became more difficult. Our lack of a sniper was also apparent via our terrible shoot-out performances. One shoot-out win over Montreal would have put us in the playoffs. This team needs scoring punch and it needs it now.
Holy Cow

Fort Collins, CO

#13 Jun 27, 2009
DK Schrute wrote:
To all those who blather on and on over these boards about how great Bouwmeester is: I find it funny that the Flyers would rather have an almost 35 year old Chris Pronger than Bouwmeester.
Excellent point.

He may be one of the best D-Men in the league, but just like jac martin, if he doesn't want to be here get rid of him. I am glad the whole bow saga is over and the team can move forward.
isles fan

Miami, FL

#14 Jun 27, 2009
Wait a Minute wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they stepped on it again last night. Why move up to 12th from 16th in order to grap Calvin De Haan, a kid who wasn't even projected in the top 20 and likely would have been there at 16? He's also a few years away from even competing for a roster spot. Why not take Zack Kassian at 12 before Buffalo grabs him, as he is a kid who would give them a Clark Gillies type toughness and ability to compliment more skilled guys (though he does have reasonably good skills). The Isles made a splash, but I'm not convinced they didn't do a belly flop on that pick.
I would rather they got a player at 12 who can make a quicker impact. but De Haan has a lot of potential on D and can shoot the puck. he also played with Tavares.
isles fan

Miami, FL

#15 Jun 27, 2009
The Other Side wrote:
Bou to Calgary for Jordan Leopold and Calgary's 3rd round pick. Decent move. We got something for him. Leopold is solid. He posted 7 goals and 17 assists last year. This is a good step for the Panthers'. We also just drafted Drew Shore... 6 ft 2in center. Big guy. Reminds me a lot of David Booth. Though Booth isn't a center he has the same type of gritty play. At least the deal is done. We got a solid roster player in Leopold. Kulikov will most likely be on the NHL roster next season. I think we'll hang on to Eminger too.
The Islanders didn't do anything special. Should have taken Kassian like WaM said. I thought that's what they were doing. Tavares just adds more depth to the AHL team that the Isles' are putting on the ice next year. They also drafted a goal tender with their first pick today.
Isles will make the playoffs next season! I think you guys heard of the playoffs, right?:)
Wait a Minute

Miami, FL

#16 Jun 27, 2009
DK Schrute wrote:
....To all those who blather on and on over these boards about how great Bouwmeester is: I find it funny that the Flyers would rather have an almost 35 year old Chris Pronger than Bouwmeester.
The Flyers wanted Bouwmeester, but the Panthers and the Flyers supposedly couldn't agree on a trade, plus the Flyers said they were wary about making a deal for just his negotiating rights. Word was that Bouwmeester and his agent were making it known he wants to play out west and that he wanted to wait for July 1st to see what kind of offers he gets. The deal announced today, doesn't change much. Calgary gets his negotiating rights and the Panthers get the rights to Leopold, plus a third round pick (which is the only real substance in the deal). Calgary is probably a good spot for Bouwmeester, but just because they have his negotiating rights it doesn't mean he will sign there or do anything before July 1st. But I am sure Calgary was on the list of "approved" teams he gave to the Panthers.
Wait a Minute

Miami, FL

#17 Jun 27, 2009
isles fan wrote:
<quoted text> I would rather they got a player at 12 who can make a quicker impact. but De Haan has a lot of potential on D and can shoot the puck. he also played with Tavares.
DeHaan is at least 3 years out from playing in the NHL and it's more likely that the Isles will trade him before he gets to the NHL.
The Other Side

Boca Raton, FL

#18 Jun 27, 2009
isles fan wrote:
<quoted text> Isles will make the playoffs next season! I think you guys heard of the playoffs, right?:)
Hey I didn't say the Panthers were any better... and you guys will not make the playoffs next year. You can have all the Kyle Okposo's, Nate Thompson's and John Tavares' you want, it won't help at all. The one true player you guys have is Streit. Why he's still there I don't know. Dipietro isn't even as good an option as he used to be.
YORMARKS OBSERVER

Miami, FL

#19 Jun 27, 2009
The inside on Kulikov; looks okay..Read the last paragraph
"" Making the transition from Russia to the QMJHL at the age of 17, Kulikov led all rookie defensemen in the QMJHL with 62 points (12 goals, 50 assists) in 57 games. He tied for second in scoring among defensemen and ranked 8th among all league defenseman with a plus-34 rating. Was the league's Rookie Defenseman of the Year, Rookie of the Year, Best Professional Prospect and Defenseman of the Year.

He's got good size and is able to take the hit while carrying the puck and has tremendous vision when the puck in on his stick. What's great about his game is that he isn't all offense; his focus is on defense first but he knows when to join the rush and force the opposition into making a mistake. His biggest strength is his puck handling skills, and he's even been compared to Sergei Zubov in some circles.

There are some scouts that also believe he has the ability to immediately make the jump to the NHL next season.

. Kulikov is a popular pick for the Panthers at the 14th spot, even if he's been ranked in the earler teens among the prospects.
But the QMJHL is a defensively challenged league and the numbers are inflated a bit there, so it's tough to say just how good his stats really are.
""
AC indicted on fraud

Irvine, CA

#20 Jun 27, 2009
Holy Cow wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent point.
He may be one of the best D-Men in the league, but just like jac martin, if he doesn't want to be here get rid of him. I am glad the whole bow saga is over and the team can move forward.
Just like they "moved forward" after the departures of Bure, Luongo, Jokinen, now Bouw.......

Yes the Panthers losing another all-star is "moving on".....

Me thinks there is a pattern here......

No all-stars, no face of the franchise, no Marques Player, just 9 years & counting of no playoffs, more prospects & draft picks...

Oh, and no GM...

The Los Angeles Clippers & Detroit Lions are embarrased by the Florida Panthers...

But hey, that's just my opinion...
Keep sending your money to Alan Cohen, if it makes you happy...

I hear he also sells bridges in brooklyn...

If you're really lucky, maybe you'll catch a free t-shirt from the Panther Patrol this year.......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jay Bouwmeester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 3/24/2010 - Bourque scores winner for Flames ag... (Mar '10) Apr '10 DEV STARR 10
News Richards scores 2 in Flyers' 3-0 win over Flames (Feb '10) Feb '10 DEV STARR 10
News Flames D-men strike out in roster bid (Dec '09) Dec '09 Jack Tupp 1
News New guy Stralman is right on time | The Columbu... (Oct '09) Oct '09 remember when 5
News The Florida Panthers trade defenseman Jay Bouwm... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Potvin 46
News Bouwmeester bidding heats up (Jun '09) Jun '09 Jack Tupp 69
News Florida Panthers debating whether to move up or... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Jack Tupp 40
More from around the web