Isles' Weight doesn't want to be a rental

Full story: Newsday

Veteran center Doug Weight , right, would prefer to stay with the Islanders, but knows trade rumors are inevitable.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Busey

Melville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

Judged:

what did he think was going to happen? He is a 100 years old and playing on the first line for the worst team in the league.

Why wouldn't they trade him for picks?

He will probably be dead by the time the Isles are any good.
Kim

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

Who is he kidding ,he is New York because nobody else wanted him.He stands to make 4.3 millon dollars with bonus money. He does not play defense just like the other old man Guerin. They both should not be here the team can't win and all they do is take away ice time from younger players.
Bobbygarz

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2009

Kim / Busey,
Your comments are pretty cruel! What has Doug Weight done here other than playing his heart out and being the ultimate professional? Maybe you guys want Ryan "muffin shot' Smyth back? Soemone should show Smyth the article and learn what a being a dedicated professional is. Ditto Kirk Muller!!
skating on sand

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2009

Hmmm, I was looking in the paper this morning and it had a list of assist leaders....Doug Weight was on that list and he's playing for a last place team. It seems like he's worth some of the $$$.
I WISH

West New York, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2009

ALL THE ISLANDERS THOUGHT LIKE WEIGHT DOES....
isles are lightWEIGHTS

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2009

What Weight should be thinking about is: i don't want to belong to any team that was so bad, that it would have me on it's roster!
TERRY A

Newark, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2009

Doug Weight is a class act and Garth Snow should realize that and extend his contract. Doug has played with passion every night and is a veteran team leader that this team can ill afford to lose. He is easily the best playmaker the Islanders have had since Dennis Potvin! His etchics & productivity is whats needed to turn this team around. He is a great mentor to the young Islanders as is Bill Guerin. These 2 players should stay in the mix while the rest of the youngsters develop. The islanders have enough draft picks already.
isles_fan_in_hol lywood

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2009

hey if you want to trade someone how about Rick DidepleteO
gutty

Long Island City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2009

Judged:

Busey/Kim,

Let me guess. You are both probably in your teens or early twenties and just became hockey fans?? Come on with comments like that. What you should be saying is thank god Weight is here and wants to be here. You need veterans to balance out the kids. No team has or will win without them. You also need them to recruit and convince top talent that this is a great place to play. Your comments in my mind are detrimental and uncalled for. Go jump on the Rags board and banter with fans that dont truly understand the game and players. Embarrased to say you are Isles fans let alone hockey fans. Weight has been the lone bright spot - playing his butt off every night. I would love to see Garth say you know what.....lets extend this guy and not have him worry....he is someone that Okposo, Bailey, Neilsen etc...can learn from every day...every shift how to carry themselves. And to bash Guerin who is a solid captain, respected veteran and leader/teacher is pathetic as well. Who would wear the C if these guys are traded. Other than Witt (who I think is one foot out already) there is no one else on this roster remotely ready for that role. Think twice before you type such total b.s.
don vito

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2009

doug weight is a class act
see ya ricky

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2009

DipleteO

LOL
Vito K

East Meadow, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2009

Dougie Weight is a geezer. They should, like, send the dude out to pasture.
Busey

Union City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2009

Bobbygarz wrote:
Kim / Busey,
Your comments are pretty cruel! What has Doug Weight done here other than playing his heart out and being the ultimate professional? Maybe you guys want Ryan "muffin shot' Smyth back? Soemone should show Smyth the article and learn what a being a dedicated professional is. Ditto Kirk Muller!!
I wasn't making fun of Weight.. He is a solid player and a class act.

I was just saying that its stupid for him to think he wasn't going to be a rental. He is a temporary stopgap and the only piece of value on a terrible team. He is obvious trade bait for a contender.

If he didn't want to be a rental then he shouldn't have signed with the Isles.
joey m

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2009

gutty wrote:
Busey/Kim,
Let me guess. You are both probably in your teens or early twenties and just became hockey fans?? Come on with comments like that. What you should be saying is thank god Weight is here and wants to be here. You need veterans to balance out the kids. No team has or will win without them. You also need them to recruit and convince top talent that this is a great place to play. Your comments in my mind are detrimental and uncalled for. Go jump on the Rags board and banter with fans that dont truly understand the game and players. Embarrased to say you are Isles fans let alone hockey fans. Weight has been the lone bright spot - playing his butt off every night. I would love to see Garth say you know what.....lets extend this guy and not have him worry....he is someone that Okposo, Bailey, Neilsen etc...can learn from every day...every shift how to carry themselves. And to bash Guerin who is a solid captain, respected veteran and leader/teacher is pathetic as well. Who would wear the C if these guys are traded. Other than Witt (who I think is one foot out already) there is no one else on this roster remotely ready for that role. Think twice before you type such total b.s.
Yea, 2 Piles fans giving their thoughts and a scumbag like you brings up the Rangers, which had nothing to do with the thread.
Why don't you jump off the top of the Marriot fool.
Word

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2009

What better mentor (who can still produce) for the Isles younger players than Dougie Weight. The guy still puts in a solid effort each and every game, which is more than can be said for some of the other favorites out there.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Garth Snow Discussions

Search the Garth Snow Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
DiPietro undergoes hip surgery (May '07) Dec '11 Jason 13
Isles agree to 5-year deal with Calder finalist... (May '11) May '11 designerbag 1
Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 usmcsniper1 5
Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 Marissa 2 2
College hockey seeks pain relief (Nov '10) Nov '10 RHE 1
Islanders show Leafs how it's done (Nov '09) Nov '09 Stevo4 1
Islanders sign Biron as another backup to DP (Jul '09) Jul '09 TheMetalChick 6
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••