Injuries force Isles to grab defensem...

Injuries force Isles to grab defenseman Pock

There are 28 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 30, 2008, titled Injuries force Isles to grab defenseman Pock. In it, Newsday reports that:

The injury bug that tore through the Islanders to ruin the second half of last season has raised its ugly head again.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
skating on sand

Henderson, NV

#1 Sep 30, 2008
things must be preety bad when the Isles have to pick up Ranger rejects. Khabibulin's available and they'd better pick him up knowing Rickys injury list and that McDonald isn't even a good backup.
Northern Islander

Ottawa, Canada

#3 Sep 30, 2008
Read the column again, they picked him up to play in the AHL, can't imagine this guy is a top 6 defenceman without many injuries.

Don't hold your breath on Khabibulin, they aren't going to sign a #1 goalie when DP has 12 years left, and you aren't paying 4 or 5 million for a backup to play 20-30 games.
FLAJEFF

Austin, TX

#4 Sep 30, 2008
Pock is a talented offensive player who struggles in his own end and has a rep for being soft. I saw enough of him with the Rangers to think he could be a 3rd pair defenseman and an asset on the power play. He worked his way into Renneys dog house and since he was put on waivers, the Rangers are saying Potter and Fahey are ahead of him on the depth chart. That being said, the Isles may be able to get out of him what they couldn't get out of MAB, a solid point man who'se not a defensive nightmare. This move also makes you wonder their opinion of Jack Hillen who would seem to be the internal solution to replacing Campoli. Pock certainly wasn't brought in to replace Sutton. Was last year a mirage, or do the Isles brass just think he needs more seasoning? Hopefully those questions will be asked and answered in the next day or two.
Yankees Fan

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Sep 30, 2008
Northern Islander------

That dude from Vegas is a flaming HOMO Ranger fan. Ignore that pucking moron.
skating on sand

Henderson, NV

#6 Sep 30, 2008
Yankees Fan wrote:
Northern Islander------
That dude from Vegas is a flaming **** Ranger fan. Ignore that pucking moron.
I'm a moron...a Ranger fan? that'll be the day. I could never lower myself to that level. If you were around back in the 80s You could have seen how many fights I got into during Islander/Ranger games and that was with the guy I sat with who was a Ranger Fan. The people in our section had to break us up more than once and we were friends. Just an update, that friend is now on welfare living in the streets, a victim of alcohol and drug abuse and pain killer addiction from all the beatings he took for being a Ranger Fan.
islesblow

Melville, NY

#7 Sep 30, 2008
Northern Islander wrote:
Read the column again, they picked him up to play in the AHL, can't imagine this guy is a top 6 defenceman without many injuries.
Don't hold your breath on Khabibulin, they aren't going to sign a #1 goalie when DP has 12 years left, and you aren't paying 4 or 5 million for a backup to play 20-30 games.
you read the article again-rangers were assigning to ahl, not isles
Mike

Wilmington, DE

#8 Sep 30, 2008
Hey Scott Gordon...how about winning a game in the NHL before you start judging what a proven NHL coach has done before you got there-

I can see this team being burned out by January because this idiot coach with zero experience wore down his players- The NHL schedule is far more demanding than the AHL schedule- The travel is more demanding and so is the game schedule- The AHL may have more weekend back to back games but the NHL plays all week long with shorter breaks in between games.
Hockey East

Columbia, NJ

#9 Sep 30, 2008
I watched Pock play four years at UMass - a Hobey Baker finalist his senior year and according to Coach Jack Parker at BU the player he feared most in Hockey East. Great skater, a cannon for a shot, and a forward converted to defense his junior year, which explains his "soft" knock as an NHL defenseman. Put him on the PP point, and play him on the wing. A diamond in the rough who, like most young players in the NYR system, was misused and misdeveloped.
jcap116

Bronx, NY

#10 Sep 30, 2008
I am absolutely 100 percent behind Scott Gordon. Injuries were bound to happen when you introduce a new system, new practice style. It will just be up to all the players to buy into Gordon's style and deal with it. This team isn't winning a championship any time soon, but you have to be impressed with Gordon's take-charge, my-way-or-the-highway approach. The Islanders circa 2008-09 will be an exciting team in that they will take the play to the opposition. They will lose because they aren't as talented as other teams, not because they are not prepared night in and night out with the team they have. Once Snow sees this team's work ethic, he'll be under the gun to go out and get additional talent.

It appears Mr. Gordon is about intensity, something this franchise has lacked for eons. You watch, they hover around .500 through the first half (and I know that's asking a lot), fans will be clamoring for Snow to go get help.

Don't be turned off or disappointed by a slow start, but when the transition goals and goals off turnovers start coming, you'll all stop and say, "Where the hell has this been for the last decade?"

True, this is all gut reaction. I'm probably overreaching and overvaluing this team's chances, but there's something intangible out there. There's a sense of urgency. Maybe not to win necessarily, but definitely to be held accountable for what goes on on the ice.

That, of course, leads to winning.

This team is going to be decent, not great, but not a bottom-feeder either. You watch.
kevin

Jamaica, NY

#11 Sep 30, 2008
http://www.watchthegapny.blogspot.com/

new blog mostly about jets mets isles knicks
got some stuff on thomas pock and this years islanders
check it out
Starke

Troy, NY

#12 Sep 30, 2008
jcap116 wrote:
I am absolutely 100 percent behind Scott Gordon. Injuries were bound to happen when you introduce a new system, new practice style. It will just be up to all the players to buy into Gordon's style and deal with it. This team isn't winning a championship any time soon, but you have to be impressed with Gordon's take-charge, my-way-or-the-highway approach. The Islanders circa 2008-09 will be an exciting team in that they will take the play to the opposition. They will lose because they aren't as talented as other teams, not because they are not prepared night in and night out with the team they have. Once Snow sees this team's work ethic, he'll be under the gun to go out and get additional talent.
It appears Mr. Gordon is about intensity, something this franchise has lacked for eons. You watch, they hover around .500 through the first half (and I know that's asking a lot), fans will be clamoring for Snow to go get help.
Don't be turned off or disappointed by a slow start, but when the transition goals and goals off turnovers start coming, you'll all stop and say, "Where the hell has this been for the last decade?"
True, this is all gut reaction. I'm probably overreaching and overvaluing this team's chances, but there's something intangible out there. There's a sense of urgency. Maybe not to win necessarily, but definitely to be held accountable for what goes on on the ice.
That, of course, leads to winning.
This team is going to be decent, not great, but not a bottom-feeder either. You watch.
i couldn't of said it any better myself. you seem to be the only one with any brains on this site.
michael massapequa

AOL

#13 Sep 30, 2008
I returned 2 seats of the four seats that I have had for the last 20 years. I wrote ," for the prices you charge I think I am entitled to see more then a team filled with minor league and old players." The Islanders thought I dissed them. The truth hurts.
michael massapequa

AOL

#14 Sep 30, 2008
just checking some stats from last year. It seems that for the past two years ,out of the 30 starting goalies
DP has been ranked 15th and 16th the last 2 years. Hardly a championship player. Get rid of him and bite the bullet.
Jim From St James

Selden, NY

#15 Sep 30, 2008
Jcap116, right on dude! Makes you think that maybe the reason their were so many injury's last year is because while they guys were motivated ( ted's strength ) they were always a step behind in playing situations, and If anyone has ever played that is how you usually get hurt, trying to do something in a game that you have never attempted before, or something you can already do, just not at game speed.
Mike

Wilmington, DE

#16 Sep 30, 2008
jcap116 wrote:
I am absolutely 100 percent behind Scott Gordon. Injuries were bound to happen when you introduce a new system, new practice style. It will just be up to all the players to buy into Gordon's style and deal with it. This team isn't winning a championship any time soon, but you have to be impressed with Gordon's take-charge, my-way-or-the-highway approach. The Islanders circa 2008-09 will be an exciting team in that they will take the play to the opposition. They will lose because they aren't as talented as other teams, not because they are not prepared night in and night out with the team they have. Once Snow sees this team's work ethic, he'll be under the gun to go out and get additional talent.
It appears Mr. Gordon is about intensity, something this franchise has lacked for eons. You watch, they hover around .500 through the first half (and I know that's asking a lot), fans will be clamoring for Snow to go get help.
Don't be turned off or disappointed by a slow start, but when the transition goals and goals off turnovers start coming, you'll all stop and say, "Where the hell has this been for the last decade?"
True, this is all gut reaction. I'm probably overreaching and overvaluing this team's chances, but there's something intangible out there. There's a sense of urgency. Maybe not to win necessarily, but definitely to be held accountable for what goes on on the ice.
That, of course, leads to winning.
This team is going to be decent, not great, but not a bottom-feeder either. You watch.
You're right....we got Jon Sim back this year and Doug Weight's on board too - What are you sniffin buddy ?
Mike

Wilmington, DE

#17 Sep 30, 2008
Jim From St James wrote:
Jcap116, right on dude! Makes you think that maybe the reason their were so many injury's last year is because while they guys were motivated ( ted's strength ) they were always a step behind in playing situations, and If anyone has ever played that is how you usually get hurt, trying to do something in a game that you have never attempted before, or something you can already do, just not at game speed.
You're absolutely right about Ted's strength in getting guys to hustle- He also was smart enough to know he needed to surround himself with X's and O's guys who could take on this component of the game planning for him.

Now maybe perhaps Scott Gordon was a good X's and O's strategist in the AHL, but will he have the knack Ted had of getting players to run through walls for him-

It's takes a mix and I don't know how many players are going to be inspired by a career back-up goalie who never dug a puck out of a corner or one who never rubbed someone out into the boards or one who never backchecked or one who never dropped his gloves to protect a teammate -

You can see Gordon already sucking up to Snow by crapping on what Nolan left behind....It's going to be the same old stuff folks- Using the media to try to justify the Nolan firing- Snow and Gordon should work well together-

Hey Garth....remember, you were in charge of the team.....you too are responsible for this mess and you shouldn't try to pin it all on Nolan-

Time will tell and if the Isles suck this year everyone will know that it's Snow's fault and he'll finally be exposed. Garth...you better hope and pray for miracles this season or Charlie boy will know the truth as your incompetence as a GM will finally be exposed.
Jim From St James

Selden, NY

#18 Sep 30, 2008
Mike, I disagree on Snow, He fired Wang's guy in Nolan, and although he tried to do things that way they have been being done, what I saw starting with this years draft is Snow making his own plan.

If anyone thinks that Filitov would have solved all the problems, they're a little nuts...

He re-stocked the system ( maybe not the best chips, but at least he has something to deal )
And finally came up with a plan other than swinging for top dollar free agents ( that doesn't work anyway, see NYR or TML ).

As for Gorden, there are more that a few coachs out there who had short very NHL careers ( Renny, Laviolette, Nolan )So i don't think that is an issue, hey it has taken gretzky a few years to get his team rolling. But he seems to have a definitive system, which if you look around most of the good teams do, the wings with their left wing lock, the ZZZZZZZDevs with the trap, Heck even the NYR didn't really get going until Renney set up a definitive system.
And obviously the team will not be that good this year, but at least it will be because the kids are learning to win together as opposed the a bunch of middle of the road vets with little left in the tank ( no pun intended there ) slogging through another season of an 8th -10th place finish.

I have to believe that last years draft was to repair Mad Mike's damage, but the next years draft will be different, I don't see snow passing on a concensus number one, to take a cocky goalie, because he likes him personnaly. and I think that no-one, except maybe the players really believes that this team is going to the playoffs, there are no quick fixes in this league. Again see NYR and TO
But you are right, with the firing of Nolan, and all the one-way contracts given to the kids, this is truly snows team now, but really only the first year...
sniper

Kingston, Canada

#19 Sep 30, 2008
sutton has a broken index finger, for which he requires
surgery, get your facts straight!
herewegoagain

Hackensack, NJ

#20 Sep 30, 2008
Great, so season hasn't started and we have players getting hurt by the coach. And if Isles needed D, why didn't they pick up Mathieu Schneider? Because they were too cheap. I'm a season ticket holder and I've had it with this team and the bush league antics.
John

Schenectady, NY

#21 Sep 30, 2008
herewegoagain wrote:
Great, so season hasn't started and we have players getting hurt by the coach. And if Isles needed D, why didn't they pick up Mathieu Schneider? Because they were too cheap. I'm a season ticket holder and I've had it with this team and the bush league antics.
The coach is hurting the players?! LOL HAHAHAHAHAHA. WTF are you talking about. The coach is putting them through the same practices that 90% of the league use. Sutton and Campoli are hurt every year. How is that Gordons fault. Get your head out of your A and realize that maybe these players are just soft. Breaking news! Martinek will be injured at some point this season. Why? BECAUSE HE GETS HURT EVERY YEAR AND IS SOFT. The coach is doing an excellent job and none of our young guys are hurt. If these vets can't handle playing at a fast pace in practice how are they going to make it through an actual game where they are playing at a fast pace,hitting, and being hit?! Better to weed out the weaklings now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garth Snow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DiPietro undergoes hip surgery (May '07) Dec '11 Jason 13
News Isles agree to 5-year deal with Calder finalist... (May '11) May '11 designerbag 1
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 usmcsniper1 5
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 Marissa 2 2
News College hockey seeks pain relief (Nov '10) Nov '10 RHE 1
News Islanders show Leafs how it's done (Nov '09) Nov '09 Stevo4 1
News Islanders sign Biron as another backup to DP (Jul '09) Jul '09 TheMetalChick 6