So who is the Islanders' backup goalt...

So who is the Islanders' backup goaltender?

There are 34 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 14, 2009, titled So who is the Islanders' backup goaltender?. In it, Newsday reports that:

The only thing that's certain about the Islanders' current goaltending situation is that assistant coach Mike Dunham still is retired.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Discouraged Fan

Stamford, CT

#21 Jan 15, 2009
People talk about shutting down DiPietro for the year; maybe they should shut down the entire team. Really having a hard time; it seems no matter what the Isle do, they can't get on track. I was not expecting a great season, however, I was also not expecting things to be this bad. Now hearing that they will play a preseason game in Kansas City - Is it only a matter of time?
Matty

Glen Carbon, IL

#22 Jan 15, 2009
David Volek wrote:
I am not a big Snow fan -- but he has not done anything to make anyone think he is incompetent.
Blake was not worth what Toronto paid. End of story. Good move by Islanders.
MacDonald proved to be a better player and a better contract than Dubby was. Dubby would not even be in this discussion if he (or even BETTER) if DP wasn't hurt. If Dubby would have signed a two way deal -- he would be called up and starting for the Isles right now.
Ryan Smyth. Give Snow credit. He went for it. When's the last time the Islanders went for it??? The Yashin and Peca moves maybe. Look how those turned out. We didn't surrender anything terrible in that deal. That trade atleast showed the franchise has a heartbeat and gave me hope again.
How about the Streit signing. I was baffled by that signing. So far -- pure genious by Snow. He is our best player right now. Where is Snow's credit there.
How about Doug Weight signing. Terric Move. He has played great and ACTUALLY WANTS TO PLAY HERE. If Snow was smart - he would sign Weight to a new contract so he can mentor Baily and others to show them how to play.
Listen, I am as sick of this team as anyone. But Snow deserves none of the blame. None. He has done a great job with what he has.
1) Then why does the team SUCK ?
2) Ted Nolan did an even better job with what he had...why would Garth get rid of a coach who everyone liked and motivated a weak team to overachieve .....Gordon doesn't seem to have any strengths over Ted Nolan-
The Great Oz

New York, NY

#23 Jan 15, 2009
During intermission they should have a contest of who gets to play goalie for the following period. I have some pads and a mask buried in the garage.
Matty

Glen Carbon, IL

#24 Jan 15, 2009
I'm not giving Garth Snow credit for NOT getting the Ryan Smyth deal done-Who gets credit for not getting something done ?

Doug Weight....terrific move ?
A terrific move is when you bring in a young Alex Ovechkin.....not a washed up 38 year old on the downside of his career. He actually wants to play here because nobody else wants him so he has to say this...wake up.

I'll give you Streit...but Garth nhas to something right once in a while.

Should have found a way to keep Blake's speed and goal production in the line-up...he just should have found a way.

Yashin was addition through substraction although Ted Nolan did get Alexi playing well...more so than any previous coach-

Garth Snow is not doing a good job and if he was we'd have more than 12 wins this far into the season- And with regard to this highly touted Tavares kid, there is no guarantee he's coming to the Islanders-
Matty

Glen Carbon, IL

#25 Jan 15, 2009
Bruins will slaughter the Islanders tonight....it's going be a shooting gallery- I'm sure the NHL will tell the Bruins to go easy on the Islanders and not run up the score-
Effigy of the Forgotten

United States

#26 Jan 15, 2009
Matty wrote:
I'm not giving Garth Snow credit for NOT getting the Ryan Smyth deal done-Who gets credit for not getting something done ?
Doug Weight....terrific move ?
A terrific move is when you bring in a young Alex Ovechkin.....not a washed up 38 year old on the downside of his career. He actually wants to play here because nobody else wants him so he has to say this...wake up.
I'll give you Streit...but Garth nhas to something right once in a while.
Should have found a way to keep Blake's speed and goal production in the line-up...he just should have found a way.
Yashin was addition through substraction although Ted Nolan did get Alexi playing well...more so than any previous coach-
Garth Snow is not doing a good job and if he was we'd have more than 12 wins this far into the season- And with regard to this highly touted Tavares kid, there is no guarantee he's coming to the Islanders-
Wow... if you can't see that signing Weight was a good move, then what is a good free agent signing? Why in the world are you comparing the signing of Weight to Ovechkin, who was drafted by the Caps ? Makes no sense.

If the Isles didn't go out and sign various vets, they would have been under the salary cap minimum. Weight has been great for the Isles.
Joe

Bronx, NY

#27 Jan 15, 2009
Effigy of the Forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow... if you can't see that signing Weight was a good move, then what is a good free agent signing? Why in the world are you comparing the signing of Weight to Ovechkin, who was drafted by the Caps ? Makes no sense.
If the Isles didn't go out and sign various vets, they would have been under the salary cap minimum. Weight has been great for the Isles.
Yes, Weight is turning out to be a good sign..my point is that Garth Snow didn't have to negotiate with any other teams because Weight was in such high demand- Anybody who wanted Weight could have had Weight. There was no bidding war because nobody wanted him...this is my point- Ya wanna impress me...when a Crosby, a Malkin an Ovechkin even a Ryan Smyth....lets you get him in here- this my freind would be Terrific,unlike the Rangers old baggage- Hey garth...why don't you call up Tony Granato too-
Mike

Bronx, NY

#28 Jan 15, 2009
Can someone at Newsday finally write an article that doesn't include Rick DiPietro- Everyone wants him gone,yet Newsday continues to write about himas if people really care- Out of sight,out of mind- Please write stories with some substance- write about the team, its chemistry, who the quiet leader in the dressing room is- write about how poor the Gordon system is working, or better yet,NOT working- Do a where are they now story on someone like Bob Lorimer or Dave Langevin- Enough about Rick Di Pietro.....he's useless and he still gets all the headlines- Give some ink to the guys who are earning their money-
Battfist

United States

#29 Jan 15, 2009
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Weight is turning out to be a good sign..my point is that Garth Snow didn't have to negotiate with any other teams because Weight was in such high demand- Anybody who wanted Weight could have had Weight. There was no bidding war because nobody wanted him...this is my point- Ya wanna impress me...when a Crosby, a Malkin an Ovechkin even a Ryan Smyth....lets you get him in here- this my freind would be Terrific,unlike the Rangers old baggage- Hey garth...why don't you call up Tony Granato too-
Ovechkin 1st pick in the draft
Crosby 1st pick in the draft
Tavares- Islanders 1st pick in the draft...

In my opinion the only way the Isles save face...that cant attract the best free agents....unless their is a goo/great young players here to build on. Not washed up veterans who Nolan got the best out of....
Battfist

United States

#30 Jan 15, 2009
Discouraged Fan wrote:
People talk about shutting down DiPietro for the year; maybe they should shut down the entire team. Really having a hard time; it seems no matter what the Isle do, they can't get on track. I was not expecting a great season, however, I was also not expecting things to be this bad. Now hearing that they will play a preseason game in Kansas City - Is it only a matter of time?
What-did you want to battle for the 8th seed again...and again...and again?
Go Blue

Hempstead, NY

#31 Jan 15, 2009
Why doesn't Garth suit up... in a uniform? He and Dunham can be a tandem again.
Mike

AOL

#32 Jan 15, 2009
Hey, Joe, you're a great debater. Really classy guy. Good to see you know how to have a conversation.
Bottom line: You're evidently as big an ass as you make Garth Snow out to be.
If you ever want to talk hockey, and only hockey, let me know.
Until then--tell your mom I said hi.
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I get the feeling you're blowing Garth Snow - The guy took over a team that had some promise,won some games and competed hard every night-
Look what this team has become under him- Take off the orange colored glasses when Garths nob is down your throat-
Effigy of the Forgotten

United States

#33 Jan 16, 2009
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Rangers old baggage ? You do know that the majority of the Rangers team is younger than 30 years old. Naslund, Redden, Drury, Gomez and Roszival are 30 or over. Thats it.
David Volek

Trenton, NJ

#34 Jan 19, 2009
Rangers will never win with this team. I know -- the Truth hurts!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garth Snow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DiPietro undergoes hip surgery (May '07) Dec '11 Jason 13
News Isles agree to 5-year deal with Calder finalist... (May '11) May '11 designerbag 1
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 usmcsniper1 5
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 Marissa 2 2
News College hockey seeks pain relief (Nov '10) Nov '10 RHE 1
News Islanders show Leafs how it's done (Nov '09) Nov '09 Stevo4 1
News Islanders sign Biron as another backup to DP (Jul '09) Jul '09 TheMetalChick 6
More from around the web