So who is the Islanders' backup goalt...

So who is the Islanders' backup goaltender?

There are 34 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 14, 2009, titled So who is the Islanders' backup goaltender?. In it, Newsday reports that:

The only thing that's certain about the Islanders' current goaltending situation is that assistant coach Mike Dunham still is retired.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Clem

AOL

#1 Jan 14, 2009
DUBIE!
Diesel the Boxer Dog

White Plains, NY

#2 Jan 14, 2009
if snow went in it would be the biggest hockey story of the year.
Transplanted Islander fan

Greenwood Lake, NY

#3 Jan 15, 2009
will this nightmare of a seson ever end ???????

“Read between the lines”

Since: Mar 07

Lindenhurst, NY

#4 Jan 15, 2009
have snow reactivate himself so he can sit on the bench and see first hand how he has destroyed the team, rather then sit in an office and talk about how he is rebuilding the team.
yukon cornelius

Hicksville, NY

#5 Jan 15, 2009
unofficially, all Isle goaltenders suffer from chronic whiplash
BKL

Taunton, MA

#6 Jan 15, 2009
Anybody see Ovechkin burn the Penguins last night? That was glorious!
Battfist

Howell, NJ

#7 Jan 15, 2009
tmptjohn88 wrote:
have snow reactivate himself so he can sit on the bench and see first hand how he has destroyed the team, rather then sit in an office and talk about how he is rebuilding the team.
Another ignorant fan...
Please share how Snow destroyed the Isles....
Joe

Bronx, NY

#8 Jan 15, 2009
Does it matter who plays? Nobody goes to their games unless they play the Rangers.
byebyenow

Fairfax, VA

#9 Jan 15, 2009
do they really need a backup goalie? i mean the fans don't show up so why should a 2nd goalie? just another milestone for an endangered species
phishstyx

Euless, TX

#10 Jan 15, 2009
Diesel the Boxer Dog wrote:
if snow went in it would be the biggest hockey story of the year.
Agreed, Snowbury should put himself in and not wear a mask
Battfist

United States

#11 Jan 15, 2009
BKL wrote:
Anybody see Ovechkin burn the Penguins last night? That was glorious!
He is a beast...
Im going to go to the game Monday.

I hope Tavares is as good.
Gary

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Jan 15, 2009
this is what's really stupid about the islanders. how can you give the goaltending work load to one guy? they did it to Dipietro and now MacDonald and now have to scrabble for another gt.

Danis looked pretty good just bring someone in from the minors and lets see what both could do.
Billy

United States

#13 Jan 15, 2009
They should just play with an empty net the whole game. Power Play action for all three periods and a few 5 on 3 chances sprinkled in there. What else they have to loose?
Joe

Bronx, NY

#14 Jan 15, 2009
Battfist wrote:
<quoted text>
Another ignorant fan...
Please share how Snow destroyed the Isles....
He helped destroy the team by letting their leading goal scorer get away..Jason Blake. You'll recall the team just made the playoffs and instead of building, he began disbanding-

He destroyed the team by not having the sense or the smarts to actually sign Ryan Smyth as soon as he got here..instead he loses Smyth and the excellent prospects he gave up to get him.

He doesn't give Wade Dubliewicz a few extra bucks to stay....we sure could use him now couldn't we ?

The worst thing he did was get rid of Ted Nolan....the only stable, legitimate hockey guy who gave the team an identity around the league....oh, and by the way,the same guy whotook the team to playoffs in his first year-

Just to name a few-
Losing Hope

Mission, KS

#15 Jan 15, 2009
These Humorous events never stop coming for this Joke of a Hockey Club!

“TRIFE94”

Since: May 08

BWOOD

#16 Jan 15, 2009
What does it matter..all that matters right now is them CAPS gettin that win over BOS Sat!!!!!
Mike

AOL

#17 Jan 15, 2009
He let Blake get away? Uh, no. He offered Blake what Blake was worth. Blake was offered more to play for Toronto, and Blake jumped at it. Do you think the Leafs are getting their money's worth in Jason Blake? How 'bout giving Garth credit for knowing what talent-level Blake is/was?

He destroyed the team by not signing Smyth to a deal right away? Uh, no again. Smyth made it clear that he'd talk contract after the '07 season ended. And when it did, he made it clear that he wanted to be back out west. How 'bout giving Garth credit for getting Smyth in an Isles jersey in the first place, giving them the chance to keep him?

The worst thing he did was get rid of Ted Nolan? Uh, no yet again. Nolan refused to buy into the direction that the team wanted to go. Nolan burned his bridge. Ever fight with a boss publicly, Joe? That's not a way to keep a job.

I do not think Garth Snow is the greatest GM in the world. But he is certainly not the worst. He has a plan, and is making it happen. Just so happens to take more than one year. As for your examples, Joe, of how bad Garth is--those are some pretty weak examples.
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
He helped destroy the team by letting their leading goal scorer get away..Jason Blake. You'll recall the team just made the playoffs and instead of building, he began disbanding-
He destroyed the team by not having the sense or the smarts to actually sign Ryan Smyth as soon as he got here..instead he loses Smyth and the excellent prospects he gave up to get him.
He doesn't give Wade Dubliewicz a few extra bucks to stay....we sure could use him now couldn't we ?
The worst thing he did was get rid of Ted Nolan....the only stable, legitimate hockey guy who gave the team an identity around the league....oh, and by the way,the same guy whotook the team to playoffs in his first year-
Just to name a few-
Bruins Fan

Brooklyn, NY

#18 Jan 15, 2009
Joe wrote:
Does it matter who plays? Nobody goes to their games unless they play the Rangers.
I'll be there tonight to watch my B's take shooting practice!
Joe

Bronx, NY

#19 Jan 15, 2009
Mike wrote:
He let Blake get away? Uh, no. He offered Blake what Blake was worth. Blake was offered more to play for Toronto, and Blake jumped at it. Do you think the Leafs are getting their money's worth in Jason Blake? How 'bout giving Garth credit for knowing what talent-level Blake is/was?
He destroyed the team by not signing Smyth to a deal right away? Uh, no again. Smyth made it clear that he'd talk contract after the '07 season ended. And when it did, he made it clear that he wanted to be back out west. How 'bout giving Garth credit for getting Smyth in an Isles jersey in the first place, giving them the chance to keep him?
The worst thing he did was get rid of Ted Nolan? Uh, no yet again. Nolan refused to buy into the direction that the team wanted to go. Nolan burned his bridge. Ever fight with a boss publicly, Joe? That's not a way to keep a job.
I do not think Garth Snow is the greatest GM in the world. But he is certainly not the worst. He has a plan, and is making it happen. Just so happens to take more than one year. As for your examples, Joe, of how bad Garth is--those are some pretty weak examples.
<quoted text>
I get the feeling you're blowing Garth Snow - The guy took over a team that had some promise,won some games and competed hard every night-
Look what this team has become under him- Take off the orange colored glasses when Garths nob is down your throat-
David Volek

Trenton, NJ

#20 Jan 15, 2009
I am not a big Snow fan -- but he has not done anything to make anyone think he is incompetent.

Blake was not worth what Toronto paid. End of story. Good move by Islanders.

MacDonald proved to be a better player and a better contract than Dubby was. Dubby would not even be in this discussion if he (or even BETTER) if DP wasn't hurt. If Dubby would have signed a two way deal -- he would be called up and starting for the Isles right now.

Ryan Smyth. Give Snow credit. He went for it. When's the last time the Islanders went for it??? The Yashin and Peca moves maybe. Look how those turned out. We didn't surrender anything terrible in that deal. That trade atleast showed the franchise has a heartbeat and gave me hope again.

How about the Streit signing. I was baffled by that signing. So far -- pure genious by Snow. He is our best player right now. Where is Snow's credit there.

How about Doug Weight signing. Terric Move. He has played great and ACTUALLY WANTS TO PLAY HERE. If Snow was smart - he would sign Weight to a new contract so he can mentor Baily and others to show them how to play.

Listen, I am as sick of this team as anyone. But Snow deserves none of the blame. None. He has done a great job with what he has.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garth Snow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DiPietro undergoes hip surgery (May '07) Dec '11 Jason 13
News Isles agree to 5-year deal with Calder finalist... (May '11) May '11 designerbag 1
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 usmcsniper1 5
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 Marissa 2 2
News College hockey seeks pain relief (Nov '10) Nov '10 RHE 1
News Islanders show Leafs how it's done (Nov '09) Nov '09 Stevo4 1
News Islanders sign Biron as another backup to DP (Jul '09) Jul '09 TheMetalChick 6
More from around the web