Islanders' young talent taking baby steps for now

Full story: Newsday

Just by adding the name "John Tavares" to their roster, the Islanders have taken a major step toward respectability.
Comments
1 - 20 of 33 Comments Last updated Jul 21, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dave

Plainview, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 18, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

heading in the right direction. if snow keeps this up, this team will be very good in two years.

time to cut the dead weight like jeff tambellini though.
Snowman

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 18, 2009
 

Judged:

1

I agree but adding a couple vets for the short term would be a good idea...next years draft is kind of thin and the following years is terrible(at the moment) getting a couple first round picks next year is really critical. We will have a top 5 for sure just because we will stink then they should think about trades or giving a couple vets 1 year contracts and doing some deadline deals. Team still has some Major deficiencies in its system the most glaring is size, if they dont get the number 1 pick next year they need to go for the largest players available...i like De Haan but is it really smart to take a small puck moving defenseman when you have 4 in the system already. What will end up happening is that they will make trades and get the short end of the stick that has happened so many times in the past.
Bill

Burnaby, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 18, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

This year we need to focus on our system and on who stays and who goes. Also, it would be wise to concentrate on on who JT's linemates will be. Since Bailey and Okposo have chemistry and JT really needs big tough grinders to dig the puck out of the corners and set up in front of the net, the logical place for him is on the second line with Hunts and whoever the choice is for second line LW. My money's on recently signed FA Matt Moulson.

Actually the 2010 draft looks pretty good. The 2011 draft does look weak, which makes the 2010 draft all the more important since it is likely the last one in which we will have a top five pick. The only way I see us getting two first rounders is if DP and Mikko have tremendous years and Colorado is willing to offer up its first rounder for DP.

That's a bit of a longshot, but dreaming is free. Let's say we get the #1 overall and the Avs trade their #2 overall for DP. Then we trade down to the #3 for that team's best D prospect and a pick. Then we draft Kirill Kabanov, touted as the next Ovechkin, and Cam Fowler, an elite D prospect.

Assuming that dream scenario doesn't happen, we should focus on drafting a star defender, either Fowler or Gudbrandson. We should then try to sign defender Mark Stuart for our first pairing and either Alexander Frolov or Alexei Ponikarovsky for first line LW. That should give us a pretty good core.
Battfist

Trenton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 19, 2009
 
Keep dreamimg.

The Isles are not going to be one of the 3 worst teams in the league.
Unless the injury bug hits again.

10th place...hopefully a top 10 pick.
Lou

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 19, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Visit my Islanders team store at www.nyislandersshop.com
Dr Phil

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 19, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Battfist wrote:
Keep dreamimg.
The Isles are not going to be one of the 3 worst teams in the league.
Unless the injury bug hits again.
10th place...hopefully a top 10 pick.
Let's start a lottery on when the first Gordon groin injury will take place. First 10 minutes of the first period of the first game, or will it wait until the the third or fourth game? Given the chance, Gordon's style could have ruined Bossy. But wait....we may still have Thompson! There's the cup right there.
The Isles will cave in on arbitration as Thompson is Gordon's boy.
Bill

Burnaby, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 19, 2009
 
Battfist wrote:
Keep dreamimg.
The Isles are not going to be one of the 3 worst teams in the league.
Unless the injury bug hits again.
10th place...hopefully a top 10 pick.
Other than Colorado, who are you at all certain will be worse? Phoenix and LA are both several steps ahead of us in their rebuilding process simply because they have been doing it longer. Atlanta came on strong at the end of the year, had a strong draft and added aeveral talented vets in FA. They will surely finish out of the top five. Tampa may be a top five team, but they now have Big Victor plus the core of Le Cavalier, St Louis, Prospal, and Stamkos. No, we are likely to be a top three team again. The only team I feel sure will finish worse than we will is Colorado...and with some good fortune in the lottery, we may take the #1 away from them. Then, IF DP is lights out this year and their FA G is a bust, they may make Garth an offer he cannot refuse.
Bill

Burnaby, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 19, 2009
 
The one caveat I would add to the above is that Atlanta may look to move Kovalchuk at the deadline if it looks as if he will not sign with them. They would probably drop like a stone after that. Of course, we will likely move Weight and Sutton at the deadline and start moving prospects in and out of the lineup ourselves. The other wild card is Ottawa and the rat Heatley. He may well sit out the year if he is not traded. They could be a top five team.
champ4

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 19, 2009
 

Judged:

1

im still lol.......pathetic.....
Battfist

Trenton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 19, 2009
 
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Other than Colorado, who are you at all certain will be worse? Phoenix and LA are both several steps ahead of us in their rebuilding process simply because they have been doing it longer. Atlanta came on strong at the end of the year, had a strong draft and added aeveral talented vets in FA. They will surely finish out of the top five. Tampa may be a top five team, but they now have Big Victor plus the core of Le Cavalier, St Louis, Prospal, and Stamkos. No, we are likely to be a top three team again. The only team I feel sure will finish worse than we will is Colorado...and with some good fortune in the lottery, we may take the #1 away from them. Then, IF DP is lights out this year and their FA G is a bust, they may make Garth an offer he cannot refuse.
My friend-thinking Eastern Conf.

15. Atlanta
14. Ottawa
13. Buffalo
12. Florida
11. Toronto
10. Islanders

If healthy-injuries cant be as bad as last year- I believe this kinda of improvement is attainable.
raul17

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 19, 2009
 
Was it me or did the Islanders had a prospects' camp without printing a list of players invited? In the past three or four years, they have always listed their prospects and those candidates that were attening on a try-out basis. This year, nothing!!
champ4

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 19, 2009
 
everyone,on this as they call it so called wanna be chat room... pay too much attention.. to all the gossip... talk is so cheap... it really is when the oct season starts then we will now what kind of team we have posting coments really dosent get anyware and especially to the shit of a org.... i think im finially getting inpatient.and fed up.. there is more to my life then the ny islanders used to be all that but no more...its changed in so many ways...i really dont think it will ever be the same like the economy..it willll recovvver!!!! but it will never be the same...... my friends....
champ4

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 19, 2009
 
ps the glory!!!! days are so called history!!!!! im glad i was young enough to live there and see all the games for many years all the parades.....im glad my dad worked gate 10... for many years i was blessed to be there......
JW Smooth

Altoona, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 19, 2009
 
That`s good, but do we have to wait another 30yrs to win another cup?
Bill

Burnaby, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 19, 2009
 
Battfist wrote:
<quoted text>
My friend-thinking Eastern Conf.
15. Atlanta
14. Ottawa
13. Buffalo
12. Florida
11. Toronto
10. Islanders
If healthy-injuries cant be as bad as last year- I believe this kinda of improvement is attainable.
I do not and you didn't really answer the question--or perhaps I didn't phrase it correctly. Which teams do you suppose will have a poorer record than ours and thus have better position for the draft lottery? BTW, no way are Ottawa and Atlanta finishing that high especially if their problems with their respective stars (Heatley and Kovalchuk) are not resolved with a trade and a signing respectively.

We will finish with a poorer record than: Dallas, Phoenix, LA, Tampa, Edmonton, Nashville, and virtually every team you have on your list. The only team that I am confident that we will have a better record than is Colorado.

To have any hope of coming anywhere near what you suppose, the following would have to happen--all of it:

1) Injuries. I hope we will have a better track record with injuries than we have had recently, but you cannot assume that we will suddenly dispose of the problem entirely--especially since the usual suspects apart from Silli will still be on our roster this year.

2) DP. We don't know if he'll ever play again or how effective he will be if he does. Roly should be reliable, but he can't carry the D.

3) D. I would have felt better about our D if we'd drafted either Big Victor or Kulikoff and a nice FA like Seidenberg. Other than Streit and maybe Hillen, the two things they have in common are that they are injured a lot and they are really meant for the pre-lockout NHL. Expect them to be injury and penalty-making machines again this year.

4) O. Hopefully JT will adjust well to the NHL and hopefully all of the budding stars and role players playing on O will have breakout years. JT will probably be somewhere in the 45-55 point area--a nice first year to be sure. But unless everyone else--and I do mean everyone--is cooking with gas, I doubt we will get more than 220-230 goals.

5) Conclusion. Best case scenario 230 GF. We have not given up less than 240 GA since the lockout. I suspect that we will give up somewhere between 240 and the 279 we gave up this year. We will probably have somewhere between 70 and 75 points for the year--an improvement on 2008-09 to be sure--but still good for a bottom five or maybe even a bottom three finish. With a favorable lottery draw, we may have the #1 overall again.
Battfist

Trenton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 19, 2009
 
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not and you didn't really answer the question--or perhaps I didn't phrase it correctly. Which teams do you suppose will have a poorer record than ours and thus have better position for the draft lottery? BTW, no way are Ottawa and Atlanta finishing that high especially if their problems with their respective stars (Heatley and Kovalchuk) are not resolved with a trade and a signing respectively.
We will finish with a poorer record than: Dallas, Phoenix, LA, Tampa, Edmonton, Nashville, and virtually every team you have on your list. The only team that I am confident that we will have a better record than is Colorado.
To have any hope of coming anywhere near what you suppose, the following would have to happen--all of it:
1) Injuries. I hope we will have a better track record with injuries than we have had recently, but you cannot assume that we will suddenly dispose of the problem entirely--especially since the usual suspects apart from Silli will still be on our roster this year.
2) DP. We don't know if he'll ever play again or how effective he will be if he does. Roly should be reliable, but he can't carry the D.
3) D. I would have felt better about our D if we'd drafted either Big Victor or Kulikoff and a nice FA like Seidenberg. Other than Streit and maybe Hillen, the two things they have in common are that they are injured a lot and they are really meant for the pre-lockout NHL. Expect them to be injury and penalty-making machines again this year.
4) O. Hopefully JT will adjust well to the NHL and hopefully all of the budding stars and role players playing on O will have breakout years. JT will probably be somewhere in the 45-55 point area--a nice first year to be sure. But unless everyone else--and I do mean everyone--is cooking with gas, I doubt we will get more than 220-230 goals.
5) Conclusion. Best case scenario 230 GF. We have not given up less than 240 GA since the lockout. I suspect that we will give up somewhere between 240 and the 279 we gave up this year. We will probably have somewhere between 70 and 75 points for the year--an improvement on 2008-09 to be sure--but still good for a bottom five or maybe even a bottom three finish. With a favorable lottery draw, we may have the #1 overall again.
No my friend...
I meant to say the Isles will finish 10th in the Eastern Conference.
Bill

Burnaby, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 19, 2009
 
Battfist wrote:
<quoted text>
No my friend...
I meant to say the Isles will finish 10th in the Eastern Conference.
For the reasons cited above, I do not see it happening. In any event, I still do not know which teams in the NHL you think will have poorer records than we will.
FRANZZZZZZZ NEILSON

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 20, 2009
 
Last place in the Atlantic Division is a given.The team will be better from the subtraction of the dead wood like Hibert and Pock.Thompson should be gone too,he stinks.Sutton is terrible too.Lots of up and coming talent.Can be a perrinnial playoff contender in another 3 years,and the sky will be the limit with a little luck
Battfist

Trenton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 20, 2009
 
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
For the reasons cited above, I do not see it happening. In any event, I still do not know which teams in the NHL you think will have poorer records than we will.
In the Eastern Conference

Atlanta, Ottawa, Buffalo, Toronto, Florida and possibly the Rangers.

With these things consider-
No major injuries to key players.
DP and Roloson share goalie duties.
Gordon has an offseason to get team ready...unlike last season.

For me-I will be disappointed in the 09 Isles if they finish 14th or 15th. Too much room to improve from last year.....
Bill

Burnaby, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jul 20, 2009
 
Battfist wrote:
<quoted text>
In the Eastern Conference
Atlanta, Ottawa, Buffalo, Toronto, Florida and possibly the Rangers.
With these things consider-
No major injuries to key players.
DP and Roloson share goalie duties.
Gordon has an offseason to get team ready...unlike last season.
For me-I will be disappointed in the 09 Isles if they finish 14th or 15th. Too much room to improve from last year.....
I assume you wish to include Tampa as well. For the reasons mentioned, I do not see any of these teams except possibly Atlanta and Ottawa finishing worse than us.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Garth Snow Discussions

Search the Garth Snow Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
DiPietro undergoes hip surgery (May '07) Dec '11 Jason 13
Isles agree to 5-year deal with Calder finalist... (May '11) May '11 designerbag 1
Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 usmcsniper1 5
Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 Marissa 2 2
College hockey seeks pain relief (Nov '10) Nov '10 RHE 1
Islanders show Leafs how it's done (Nov '09) Nov '09 Stevo4 1
Islanders sign Biron as another backup to DP (Jul '09) Jul '09 TheMetalChick 6
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••