Isles fans want No. 1 pick; players w...

Isles fans want No. 1 pick; players want to win

There are 104 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 31, 2009, titled Isles fans want No. 1 pick; players want to win. In it, Newsday reports that:

Nothing contrasts the priorities of professional sports fans and their teams quite like the league draft.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Battfist

United States

#1 Apr 1, 2009
You play to win...
Noodleroni

Mineola, NY

#2 Apr 1, 2009
Hockey is a game that has been gayed up over the years. No one cares...no one watches..no one goes to the games..I say bring back the Long Island Cougars!! Thats when hockey was hockey..not the flamers that are playing today!
Busey

Melville, NY

#3 Apr 1, 2009
That's because Isle fans are morons...

anyone who roots against a victory should renounce themselves as sports fans.
Jiggs

Union City, NJ

#4 Apr 1, 2009
Busey wrote:
That's because Isle fans are morons...
anyone who roots against a victory should renounce themselves as sports fans.
Easy Busey! Ever heard of 1 step back and 2 steps forward? Don't have to be Barry Melrose to see where teams like Washington, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia were a few years back. Wake up.
Busey

Melville, NY

#6 Apr 1, 2009
I'm not saying they weren't bad..

I'm saying their fans never openly rooted to lose like most (not all) Isle fans.

Its pathetic
Len

New York, NY

#7 Apr 1, 2009
Busey wrote:
I'm not saying they weren't bad..
I'm saying their fans never openly rooted to lose like most (not all) Isle fans.
Its pathetic
It is pathetic. I hear these idiots fretting with every win. They don't realize that while Tavares is one piece to the puzzle, the other pieces, for the most part, are here and need the confidence that winning at least some games can bring. It's just a shame that the dumbest Isles fans are also usually the loudest, but they do not represent the majority IMHO.
Bobbay

Warwick, NY

#8 Apr 1, 2009
I for one can not stand to watch my Islanders lose. It's been a long rocky road but I would never root for them to tank or just plain lose games to get a better pick. If they happen to lose the rest of the way & get the best shot at #1 then so be it. I would love to see Tavares in orange & blue for sure. But I would never tell a kid like Kyle Okposo face to face that he should lose? Would you? I don't think so. And if you would then the rangers fan is right, you are pathetic.
Hilbert Hears a Who

Bronx, NY

#9 Apr 1, 2009
Tavares may only be one piece of the puzzle - but it's a HUGE piece. He's a high scoring center the Isles have lacked since Pierre Turgeon. The Isles are the only team in the NHL without a 20 goal scorer. Plus their defenseman is leading the team in scoring - with barely over 50 points.

Players like Tavares come once every 5-6 years - a game changing high-impact player that could almost single-handedly turn around a franchise like Sidney Crosby. It'd be a waste to have the Isles win these meaningless games & have their chances diminish of getting Tavares,(or Hedman, who's a pretty good consolation prize if somehow they end up drafying #2 overall).
4therecord

Belmar, NJ

#10 Apr 1, 2009
I never root against the islanders but I do want to finish last. I knew we would be bad this year so I admit I have rooted for the first overall pick since this summer because I knew that would be the biggest reward this season. If you think the Isladners were ganna make the playoffs this season or even contend for a spot, you were only kidding yourself; even if Dipietro was playing. Have you seen our defense this year and all the injuries and the inexperience the first half of the season and still now? Busey, no islander fan is rooting against his team, we just see the bigger picture here. I dont think any of us are sitting home watching these games, cheering when the other team scores. Honestly this has been the easiest year for me as an Islander fan because I haven't expected anything. Besides that montreal game where they blew a huge lead in the 3rd and the first isles loss to the ranger$, I havent been upset after a game all season. A loss doesnt feel as bad as it once was, thats why wanting the first overall pick isn't too hard. We need a face to the franchise Busey.
4therecord

Belmar, NJ

#11 Apr 1, 2009
Busey, how do you know what caps, hawks, and pens fans wanted?
UnReal

Southampton, NY

#12 Apr 1, 2009
I agree here, who really cares if they win or loose the remainder of their games? They have nothing to play for, worst in the NHL and should be licking their chops to get Tavares. Let the kids try and win, it's not like the go out there and loose on purpose. Look at what we have on this team. Busey is just a disgrunteld Rangers fan that always has to comment on the Isles boards, you have plenty to worry about with the playoffs comming along and your team hanging by a thread.
Hilbert Hears a Who wrote:
Tavares may only be one piece of the puzzle - but it's a HUGE piece. He's a high scoring center the Isles have lacked since Pierre Turgeon. The Isles are the only team in the NHL without a 20 goal scorer. Plus their defenseman is leading the team in scoring - with barely over 50 points.
Players like Tavares come once every 5-6 years - a game changing high-impact player that could almost single-handedly turn around a franchise like Sidney Crosby. It'd be a waste to have the Isles win these meaningless games & have their chances diminish of getting Tavares,(or Hedman, who's a pretty good consolation prize if somehow they end up drafying #2 overall).
VT Isles Fan

Rutland, VT

#13 Apr 1, 2009
Hilbert Hears a Who wrote:
While it'd be great to see Tavares in an Isles sweater, let's not expect too much right off the hop if the Isles do draft him. Look at what happened this year with Stamkos in Tampa, he looked absolutely lost the first half of the season. And the Isles aren't exactly the Red Wings when it comes to developing their young talent as an organization.
Jiggs

Union City, NJ

#14 Apr 1, 2009
Hey Gary Busey, what's pathetic is having to bring back a bum like Avery when your season was slipping away. Ut oh, here comes Florida!!! LMAO
Busey

Melville, NY

#15 Apr 1, 2009
4therecord wrote:
Busey, how do you know what caps, hawks, and pens fans wanted?
Because I read their papers and team blogs.
Busey

Melville, NY

#16 Apr 1, 2009
Jiggs wrote:
Hey Gary Busey, what's pathetic is having to bring back a bum like Avery when your season was slipping away. Ut oh, here comes Florida!!! LMAO
That "bum" would be on your top line playing 25 min a night if he were an Islander.

Just because the guy is a maniac doesn't take away that he is talented.

And a great skater.
Busey

Melville, NY

#17 Apr 1, 2009
UnReal wrote:
I agree here, who really cares if they win or loose the remainder of their games? They have nothing to play for, worst in the NHL and should be licking their chops to get Tavares. Let the kids try and win, it's not like the go out there and loose on purpose. Look at what we have on this team. Busey is just a disgrunteld Rangers fan that always has to comment on the Isles boards, you have plenty to worry about with the playoffs comming along and your team hanging by a thread.
<quoted text>
I'm not disgruntled about anything? Why would I be?

My team is relevant in the NHL, yours isn't.

It just disgusts me when people call themselves "fans" of a team and then root for them to lose, in any sport.
4therecord

Belmar, NJ

#18 Apr 1, 2009
Vt Isles fan: Your absolutely right, I dont know what to expect from Tavares his first year although if he is an Islander there will be tremendous pressure on him. Stamkos started off slow but has been roaring the past month. He has 20 goals right now. I would expect about 20 goals from Tavares in his first season.
Jiggs

Union City, NJ

#19 Apr 1, 2009
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
That "bum" would be on your top line playing 25 min a night if he were an Islander.
Just because the guy is a maniac doesn't take away that he is talented.
And a great skater.
And just because he is talented and a great skater doesn't mean he isn't a bum. You know like Tomas Sandstom, Essa Tikkanen and Ulf Samuelsson. Ranger fans are comfortable with these players. Kind of matches what you have in the stands.
Rob

Miami, FL

#20 Apr 1, 2009
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not disgruntled about anything? Why would I be?
My team is relevant in the NHL, yours isn't.
It just disgusts me when people call themselves "fans" of a team and then root for them to lose, in any sport.
Its not that we want the Isles to lose, but we know that in a weird way losing now is most likely going to benefit the Isles future. besides, the Rangers are relevant until they lose in the first round of the playoffs..........
Rub_It_In

King Of Prussia, PA

#21 Apr 1, 2009
The fix is in for the draft lottery as usual, you truly believe it was dumb luck pitts got Crosby??

if we were all face to face I would bet anyone here $20 each the Isles do not get the overall 1st pick....GUARANTEED, you heard it here first.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garth Snow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DiPietro undergoes hip surgery (May '07) Dec '11 Jason 13
News Isles agree to 5-year deal with Calder finalist... (May '11) May '11 designerbag 1
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 usmcsniper1 5
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 Marissa 2 2
News College hockey seeks pain relief (Nov '10) Nov '10 RHE 1
News Islanders show Leafs how it's done (Nov '09) Nov '09 Stevo4 1
News Islanders sign Biron as another backup to DP (Jul '09) Jul '09 TheMetalChick 6
More from around the web