Isles win the lottery, earn No. 1 pic...

Isles win the lottery, earn No. 1 pick in draft

There are 164 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 14, 2009, titled Isles win the lottery, earn No. 1 pick in draft. In it, Newsday reports that:

The reward for all the suffering the Islanders endured in their miserable 2008-09 last-place season is the No.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Michael Delman

San Mateo, CA

#1 Apr 14, 2009
WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! ! Watched it live.....Happiest Islanders moment in years! I can't wait for next season!!!
RANGERS SUCK

Brampton, Canada

#2 Apr 14, 2009
TAVARES IS THE WAY TO GO BUT I WILL BE HAPPY WITH HEDMAN. TAVARES GIVES THE LIGHTHOUSE A BOOST SO I PICK TAVARES. LETS GO ISLES,SNOW.
LIAM

Deland, FL

#3 Apr 14, 2009
Michael Delman wrote:
WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! ! Watched it live.....Happiest Islanders moment in years! I can't wait for next season!!!
haha This is when you know your team has really really sucked.
bhockey47

Port Jefferson Station, NY

#4 Apr 14, 2009
None of this matters for a team known as the New York Islanders and their fans...why, Kate Murray, Hempstead Town Supervisor would rather see the Islanders leave Long Island then see them bring the cup back home.

Travares, one amazing sniper,,,truly needed. Hedman, an extraordinary 6'6" dman with sensational offensive skills. But the only way names like this will matter is for Long Islanders to DUMP KATE MURRAY.

The time is now...75% of all Long Islanders want the Lighthouse Project and more want the NY Isles here on Long Island. A self funded multi billion dollar project, tax revenue, tens of thousands of jobs, and she KATE MURRAY gives it a thumbs down.

It's time, it's time to DUMP KATE MURRAY HEMSPTEAD TOWN SUPERVISOR.

Let winning this lottery be a positive sign for the future of the team and the Island, and let it be a sign to say good bye to the single person holding up true progress on the Island.

DUMP KATE MURRAY HEMPSTEAD TOWN SUPERVISOR
starke

Troy, NY

#5 Apr 14, 2009
LIAM wrote:
<quoted text>
haha This is when you know your team has really really sucked.
yah you are right in saying that. I just hope snow doesnt pull a snow job and do something horrible. Now we just have to hold our breath till draft day. I for one am still nervous.
ari hanpaa fan club

Bronx, NY

#6 Apr 14, 2009
Snow traded the First pick, Okposo and Bailey to Detroit for Osgood and the Red Wings 3rd round selection. Go Isles!!!!!
Mike

Alexandria, VA

#7 Apr 14, 2009
hahah, already talks of toronto trading up. if we screw this up, i'm done with the isles
Steve

AOL

#8 Apr 14, 2009
If the Islanders trade down or take anyone but Tavares, tehy deserve to move, better yet, kick them out.
Hilbert Hears A Who

AOL

#9 Apr 14, 2009
Note to Garth Snow:

Please PLEASE oh God PLEASE do NOT trade the #1 overall pick.

Acquiring additional picks for this team do NOT work out well. Need Proof? Mathieu Biron, Jeremy Colliton, Eric Fichaud, Juraj Kolnik, Jason Krog, Justin Mapletoft, Branislav Mezei, Kristian Kudroc, Vladimir Orsagh, Mattias Weinhandel, Petteri Nokelainen, Taylor Pyatt, Ray Schultz & Mike Watt.

Likewise, acquiring additional prospects for this team do NOT work out as well. Need proof? Jason Dawe, Josh Green, Oleg Kvasha, Mats Lindgren, Dimitri Nabokov, Janne Niinimaa, Jeff Tambellini & Justin Papineau.

Garth, unless the first and second words out of your mouth are "John Tavares" on Draft Day, you won't have to worry about the Lighthouse Project - Nassau Coliseum will be burned to the ground from angry Islander fans.

Here is the perfect opportunity to draft a superstar in the making. Don't screw it up.
Mike from CT

North Oxford, MA

#10 Apr 14, 2009
Hedman is good, but I mean, C'MON GARTH, IT'S TAVARES OR YOU'RE RUN OUT OF TOWN BUDDY!

The Isles were so anemic in the goal scoring dept this year, nothing could be more perfect than drafting Tavares in June. Only player to break Gretzky's single season scoring record and now holds the all-time goal scoring record for the OHL. Sick...
Dino

Jackson Heights, NY

#11 Apr 14, 2009
Good to see something good happen to the Isles for a change. Maybe it will kickstart the rivalry and help make Hockey a little more relevant in New York
Isle Fans

AOL

#12 Apr 14, 2009
I hope Snow doesn't blow this one.
It's Tavaras or we walk.
EXIslander

Mahwah, NJ

#13 Apr 14, 2009
bhockey47 wrote:
None of this matters for a team known as the New York Islanders and their fans...why, Kate Murray, Hempstead Town Supervisor would rather see the Islanders leave Long Island then see them bring the cup back home.
Travares, one amazing sniper,,,truly needed. Hedman, an extraordinary 6'6" dman with sensational offensive skills. But the only way names like this will matter is for Long Islanders to DUMP KATE MURRAY.
The time is now...75% of all Long Islanders want the Lighthouse Project and more want the NY Isles here on Long Island. A self funded multi billion dollar project, tax revenue, tens of thousands of jobs, and she KATE MURRAY gives it a thumbs down.
It's time, it's time to DUMP KATE MURRAY HEMSPTEAD TOWN SUPERVISOR.
Let winning this lottery be a positive sign for the future of the team and the Island, and let it be a sign to say good bye to the single person holding up true progress on the Island.
I think 75% of LIers don't really care one way or another. If you talk to people who don't live in the immediate vicinity of the Coliseum or aren't hockey fans, most people are indifferent to the whole thing. And aside from the ever waning collection of hockey fans on LI, most people could not care less about the Islanders moving to KC.
islesfan

West New York, NJ

#14 Apr 14, 2009
if snow trades it away fire him...goalie..
Michael Delman wrote:
Larry

Hicksville, NY

#15 Apr 14, 2009
Tavares all the way. Listen to the offers, but unless they contain an absolutely insane return, draft Tavares. Hedman is no joke either though and will be an all star d man for years to come. Really cant go wrong with either one.
michael

New York, NY

#16 Apr 14, 2009
garth snow is the GM now, not mike milbury. there will be no trades. hedman wont be an islander either. we drafted bailey for one reason, and that was to set up john tavares. john tavares will be an islander. fact.
isles711

Farmingdale, NY

#17 Apr 14, 2009
EXIslander wrote:
<quoted text>
I think 75% of LIers don't really care one way or another. If you talk to people who don't live in the immediate vicinity of the Coliseum or aren't hockey fans, most people are indifferent to the whole thing. And aside from the ever waning collection of hockey fans on LI, most people could not care less about the Islanders moving to KC.
It's funny (and sad) how you keep posting the same negative crap on every Islanders story (under different names).

Tell the 13,000 or so folks that paid their hard earned dollars this season to watch a last place team.
People on Long Island DO care about the Islanders AND want them to stay.
bias

Bronx, NY

#18 Apr 14, 2009
They will draft taveres. There can be no doubt. He has NHL appeal like Crosby and will put fannies in seats and Jerseys on fans backs in the US and Canada.

If the hype is true, he is the next young superstar.

Whew we may have finally caught a break.
Garden City

Oakdale, NY

#19 Apr 15, 2009
isles711 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny (and sad) how you keep posting the same negative **** on every Islanders story (under different names).
Tell the 13,000 or so folks that paid their hard earned dollars this season to watch a last place team.
People on Long Island DO care about the Islanders AND want them to stay.
My first time posting on these Newsday boards and I had to respond to you're delusional response to the original poster claiming he posts using different names. Get over it ..the majority of people on LI couldn't give a damn about the Islanders.

13,000 out of a population of 2 1/2 million..
Seriously a tiny minority of the regions population gives a hoot about about the Islanders.
The Isles are going to suck no matter who they get and the sport has sucked ever since the '92 strike.
The Isles can go to hell or Kansas City for all we care.
Garden City

Oakdale, NY

#20 Apr 15, 2009
*** = go to He11

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garth Snow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DiPietro undergoes hip surgery (May '07) Dec '11 Jason 13
News Isles agree to 5-year deal with Calder finalist... (May '11) May '11 designerbag 1
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 usmcsniper1 5
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 Marissa 2 2
News College hockey seeks pain relief (Nov '10) Nov '10 RHE 1
News Islanders show Leafs how it's done (Nov '09) Nov '09 Stevo4 1
News Islanders sign Biron as another backup to DP (Jul '09) Jul '09 TheMetalChick 6
More from around the web