Snow deserves credit for secrecy, but...

Snow deserves credit for secrecy, but he'd better pick Tavares

There are 18 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 25, 2009, titled Snow deserves credit for secrecy, but he'd better pick Tavares. In it, Newsday reports that:

MONTREAL Garth Snow has done a tremendous job of keeping tonight's first pick under wraps.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Clem

AOL

#1 Jun 25, 2009
He better pick JT or who knows what will happen at the Coliseum tomorrow.
orngfan

New York, NY

#2 Jun 25, 2009
"with the first pick in the 2009 nhl entry draft, the new york islanders select, john tavares, london knights"
Bill

New York, NY

#3 Jun 25, 2009
Everyone is assuming that JT will have a dramatic impact in the NHL. It ain't necessarily so. JT has often been compared to Spezza. Check out his first year stats. If Garth were to pick JT and he had a Spezza-like first season while Big Victor won the Calder in Tampa, all the folks threatening to have temper tantrums for JT now would be killing Garth. He cannot be guided by that.

Wang CANNOT move this team before 2015. That means that Garth has time to build this team the right way. As the 2011 draft is projected to be weak, he probably has to get most of the pieces in place prior to the 2010-11 season.

We need another top 2 center and we need to add size, speed, and talent on our blueline. We can do both by drafting Big Victor and then trading up and getting a quality center like Jacob Josefson. If we can also add goalie prospect Robin Lehner and LW Carl Klingberg or defender Matt Clark, Garth will have made a giant leap forward. Another way to go would be to get picks and a prospect from Colorado and draft Duchene and a bunch of defensive prospects.

The way to get the fans back, in the end, is to build a winner. Big Victor will get us back to respectability quicker than JT will. Count on it.
Gensfan91

Toronto, Canada

#5 Jun 26, 2009
Having been a season ticket holder for the Oshawa Generals the last 12 years all I can say is If Snow doesn't pick Tavares he should be fired!
This is a kid who isn't the quickest of skaters or the biggest hitter but will make everyone of you jump out of your seat and say" Did you see that"
He does nothing but score and amaze. I am a Leafs fan and would love nothing more than to see JT become a member of the Leafs. Remember, this kid was granted an exceptional player status when he was 14 and scored on his first shot of his first shift. He broke Wayne Gretzky's record for goals by a 16 year old, what more do you want?
If Snow does select JT all you fans will be treated to years of pure goal scoring highlites, if he doesn't, run him out of town.
Battfist

Columbus, OH

#6 Jun 26, 2009
Gensfan91 wrote:
Having been a season ticket holder for the Oshawa Generals the last 12 years all I can say is If Snow doesn't pick Tavares he should be fired!
This is a kid who isn't the quickest of skaters or the biggest hitter but will make everyone of you jump out of your seat and say" Did you see that"
He does nothing but score and amaze. I am a Leafs fan and would love nothing more than to see JT become a member of the Leafs. Remember, this kid was granted an exceptional player status when he was 14 and scored on his first shot of his first shift. He broke Wayne Gretzky's record for goals by a 16 year old, what more do you want?
If Snow does select JT all you fans will be treated to years of pure goal scoring highlites, if he doesn't, run him out of town.
Great info!

Dnt worry-he'll be an Islander!
Please come and visit.
Battfist

Columbus, OH

#7 Jun 26, 2009
This draft has me so pumped...I actually wore Isles gear to work!
TAVARES!!!!
Gensfan91

Toronto, Canada

#8 Jun 26, 2009
Battfist wrote:
<quoted text>
Great info!
Dnt worry-he'll be an Islander!
Please come and visit.
I'd love to come to the island one day. My neighbour use to be Josh Bailey's family up here
NYRfan

Stamford, CT

#9 Jun 26, 2009
Bill wrote:
Everyone is assuming that JT will have a dramatic impact in the NHL. It ain't necessarily so. JT has often been compared to Spezza. Check out his first year stats. If Garth were to pick JT and he had a Spezza-like first season while Big Victor won the Calder in Tampa, all the folks threatening to have temper tantrums for JT now would be killing Garth. He cannot be guided by that.
Wang CANNOT move this team before 2015. That means that Garth has time to build this team the right way. As the 2011 draft is projected to be weak, he probably has to get most of the pieces in place prior to the 2010-11 season.
We need another top 2 center and we need to add size, speed, and talent on our blueline. We can do both by drafting Big Victor and then trading up and getting a quality center like Jacob Josefson. If we can also add goalie prospect Robin Lehner and LW Carl Klingberg or defender Matt Clark, Garth will have made a giant leap forward. Another way to go would be to get picks and a prospect from Colorado and draft Duchene and a bunch of defensive prospects.
The way to get the fans back, in the end, is to build a winner. Big Victor will get us back to respectability quicker than JT will. Count on it.
No one in this years draft except for Hedman has a shot to win the Calder. Cody Hodgson of the Canucks will win it hands down.
CT hockey fan

Stamford, CT

#10 Jun 26, 2009
I will be extremely disappointed if Snow does NOT pick Tavares. The Islanders are in DESPARATE need of someone who can put the puck in the net. Is Tavares the best athlete, probably not, but he has sniper instincts. With work he can be Mike Bossy like. The Islanders may not be the laughing stock of the league right now, but if they don't pick Tavares they will be.

Since: Oct 08

Belleville NJ

#11 Jun 26, 2009
95% of Islander fans WANT Tavares.
Those 95% were invited to the the NVMC to see the draft.
How in the world can Snow NOT pick Tavares when the 95% are watching it live?
With the first pick the NY Islanders choose; Tavares, case closed!
Battfist

Columbus, OH

#12 Jun 26, 2009
Gensfan91 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd love to come to the island one day. My neighbour use to be Josh Bailey's family up here
Whats your persepective of Bailey?

I thought he showed flashes of potential. He came on good the last 20-25 games. I believe he'll be a good player...he justs needs to hit the weight room.

Since: Oct 08

Belleville NJ

#13 Jun 26, 2009
Battfist wrote:
<quoted text>
Whats your persepective of Bailey?
I thought he showed flashes of potential. He came on good the last 20-25 games. I believe he'll be a good player...he justs needs to hit the weight room.
Battfist, thats cool you wore your Isles jersey today. I'll be glued to the TV tonight, although I think Tavares is our pick, I am more interested on what we are doing with the 26th pick. Bailey IMO, is a/will be a great playmaker. His passing skills are excellent and will only get better. Pair him up with Okposo or another finisher and enjoy for the next few years.
Go ISLES!!!!!!!!!!
Battfist

Columbus, OH

#14 Jun 26, 2009
Russel Ginart wrote:
<quoted text>
Battfist, thats cool you wore your Isles jersey today. I'll be glued to the TV tonight, although I think Tavares is our pick, I am more interested on what we are doing with the 26th pick. Bailey IMO, is a/will be a great playmaker. His passing skills are excellent and will only get better. Pair him up with Okposo or another finisher and enjoy for the next few years.
Go ISLES!!!!!!!!!!
Right on!
Im leaving work early.
Dr No

Savannah, GA

#15 Jun 26, 2009
It's nice to see some hopeful Isles
fans posting today. Snow 1st pick
should be the easy one. JT.
The 26th pick not to sure. The Isles
need a goalie, but I would wait until
the 56th pick or later on that.
We need scoring. The Isles have 5
picks in the 1st 56 right. I would
like to see all offensive players.
We could pick up the Dmen we need
after July 1st. A few free agents out
there that could help the Isles.
If Snow drafts JT with the 1st pick
not only will it put butts in the
seats, but it may help land a few
free agents.

Lets Go Isles.
Headline

Fort Lee, NJ

#16 Jun 26, 2009
Snow can keep a secret better than SC Governor Mark Sanford!
Dr No

Savannah, GA

#17 Jun 26, 2009
Ok I have someone I would like the
Isles to take @ 26th Jermey Morin.
Lets If he is there..
Clem

AOL

#18 Jun 26, 2009
Headline wrote:
Snow can keep a secret better than SC Governor Mark Sanford!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA That was funny!!!!!!!!!!
2 rebuilding seaons

Lodi, NJ

#19 Jun 27, 2009
snow doesnt have to build the team right away, that is the big key. Real Fans are not expecting a turn around all because we know a future goal scorer. The fans will stay around as long as they continue to follow a proven plan in sports, and that is to continue building up from within. management also has to deal better with injuries, like they showed they were prepared to do this year by not trying to rush back DP and getting potential backups (or replacements) for DP. Allowing time to develop a winning team and not looking for overrated stars from other teams is whats going to keep the fans.
Bill wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garth Snow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DiPietro undergoes hip surgery (May '07) Dec '11 Jason 13
News Isles agree to 5-year deal with Calder finalist... (May '11) May '11 designerbag 1
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 usmcsniper1 5
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 Marissa 2 2
News College hockey seeks pain relief (Nov '10) Nov '10 RHE 1
News Islanders show Leafs how it's done (Nov '09) Nov '09 Stevo4 1
News Islanders sign Biron as another backup to DP (Jul '09) Jul '09 TheMetalChick 6
More from around the web