WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumb...

WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumble loss

There are 35 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 26, 2009, titled WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumble loss. In it, Newsday reports that:

After losing to the Rangers Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden , Minnesota's Eric Belanger focused on the next game against the Islanders last night at the Coliseum and said, "We're going to make sure we win it." It wasn't a guarantee so much as an expression of the desperation of a team fighting to remain in the Western Conference playoff ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
MAX

Bronx, NY

#21 Mar 26, 2009
Snowjob wrote:
The most obvious weakness that continues to have an adverse effect on this team is its lack of veteran leadership. The kids showed much heart last night and it was great to see them backing each other up. However, they lost their composure and took many unnecessary and undisciplined penalties as the game progressed. Also, there was way to much yapping, especially from Okposo, who seemed only to amuse the Wild more than anything else. What the Wild did to Comeau was not only reckless but classless and cowardly. Several of the guilty parties should have been handed the necessary and immediate retribution. I strongly feel that our biggest weakness is the head coach. His lack of poise and experience emanates through the erratic and inconsistent play of this team. We have some very talented prospects and I think Okposo could be the real deal. However, more than a "system" is needed to make sure that they develop to their maximum potential. Something to consider. Bring back Doug Weight as team Captain and give Witt and Okposo the A's. Okposo is the future of this team so let him be guided by one of the greatest American born players to play in the NHL. Lastly, have a plan in place to remove Gordon mid season if this team doesn't get off to a quick start and replace him with Laviolette (if he would forgive Wang) or another successful veteran coach. There are many available. We are headed in the right direction but lets assure that we finally reach our destination and not get lost in that proverbial fog that has misguided us for so many years. Lets go Isles.
I agree with just everything in your post especially the part about Scott Gordon- This guy is in way over his head and doesn't seem to grasping what coaching in the big leagues is all about- It's not college or the minors...this is as bigtime as it gets. Garth oughta swallow his pride and bury the hatchet with Ted Nolan....Nolan was the best thing that happened to this organization in the last 15 years - BRING BACK TED NOLAN NEXT SEASON-

ETR

“Hello boys.....”

Since: Aug 07

.......I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

#22 Mar 26, 2009
DDDDDDDD wrote:
Oh, the pation thing goes back a couple of years when someone spelled it wrong and it became the catch phrase.
Nothing more than a running joke.
Right ETR?
correct, whoever you are....
Patience

AOL

#23 Mar 26, 2009
DDDDDDDD wrote:
<quoted text>
Generally I agree with your well thought out post.
But I'm a little confused why you think Bailey's growth has been stunted and I am interested in hearing what you have to say (if I ever remember to make it back here so I can read it).
Funny thing is I've actually been thinking that while he's not stood out lately at least he hasn't regressed. That's why your words were a surprise.
I do think he should have spent at least some time in the AHL this year but am not so sure he has necessarily been "damaged" by being up here. Its probably been a real eye opener for the kid and he's kept a great deal of poise if you ask me. At times he looks exhausted but how much of that is from a late night with the x-box or a changing body/frame, who's to say. He does need work over the summer but having had the season he will probably go into the off season with a better plan and a good amount of motivation than if he had spent the year in the AHL (I could be wrong, shrug).
I don't know, I don't see him stunting, I just see a real young one who has survived a very strange (by any team's standards) season and has not only made it thru but has a good base and some experience under his belt and (IMO) the promise of better play next year.
Anyway, I hope you can at least partially agree with me and I am all ears on the regression.
Bailey is not eligible for the AHL. He's too young. It's the Isles or his junior team for him this year.
isles

Plainview, NY

#24 Mar 26, 2009
Guinness Drinker wrote:
just no pation in this Islander team
Talk about beating a dead horse. Enough already loser. It's not funny.
Hilbert Hears A Who

AOL

#25 Mar 26, 2009
FYI: The "tragic" number for the Isles is 5. Any combo of Isles losses and/or Tampa/Colorado wins totaling that will lock up 30th place, which means Tavares or Hedman is locked up as well.

Of course, knowing Garth, you never know if one of the other 29 GMs,(or all of them), will try & steal the pick from him. With such an extremely top-heavy draft, if Bettman announces a trade when the Isles are up, we'd have no choice but to get a new arena - the fans would burn this one down to the ground!

Since: Jun 08

North Babylon

#26 Mar 26, 2009
DDDDDDDD wrote:
<quoted text>
Generally I agree with your well thought out post.
But I'm a little confused why you think Bailey's growth has been stunted and I am interested in hearing what you have to say (if I ever remember to make it back here so I can read it).
Funny thing is I've actually been thinking that while he's not stood out lately at least he hasn't regressed. That's why your words were a surprise.
I do think he should have spent at least some time in the AHL this year but am not so sure he has necessarily been "damaged" by being up here. Its probably been a real eye opener for the kid and he's kept a great deal of poise if you ask me. At times he looks exhausted but how much of that is from a late night with the x-box or a changing body/frame, who's to say. He does need work over the summer but having had the season he will probably go into the off season with a better plan and a good amount of motivation than if he had spent the year in the AHL (I could be wrong, shrug).
I don't know, I don't see him stunting, I just see a real young one who has survived a very strange (by any team's standards) season and has not only made it thru but has a good base and some experience under his belt and (IMO) the promise of better play next year.
Anyway, I hope you can at least partially agree with me and I am all ears on the regression.
He's disappeared out there compared to his counter part Kyle Okposo. I was never for Bailey playing in the NHL this season and always believed he'd best be served playing in the Jrs. against Tavares, continue to lead the Spitfires as captain, set up plays, build confidence knowing he's made it to the NHL. Here, he's being pushed around, limited scoring, and is just wasting minutes. Give some of the other SOund Tuger guys who've earned it up. Smith, Coaliton, McLean to name a few.

Since: Jun 08

North Babylon

#27 Mar 26, 2009
Lotterypick wrote:
<quoted text>
Owen Nolan gave a cheap shot to Colton Orr the night before as Orr was letting him get up following their fight. Orr just smiled at him. Hopefully the Isles land one of the top two picks in the draft and then Snow doesn't trade down.
I watched the fight on Hockeyfights.com and saw what you were talking about. What a punk Nolan is.
Daryn

Whitehorse, Canada

#28 Mar 26, 2009
Lets Go Isles wrote:
<quoted text>
He's disappeared out there compared to his counter part Kyle Okposo. I was never for Bailey playing in the NHL this season and always believed he'd best be served playing in the Jrs. against Tavares, continue to lead the Spitfires as captain, set up plays, build confidence knowing he's made it to the NHL. Here, he's being pushed around, limited scoring, and is just wasting minutes. Give some of the other SOund Tuger guys who've earned it up. Smith, Coaliton, McLean to name a few.
Hey - look at the tremendous prospect of the Vancouver Canucks who was drafted no.10 last June: Cody Hodgson. Following training camp, he was returned to the OHL (Brampton). He had the most points at the World Juniors - recently the OHL coaches voted him as the smartest player, hardest worker, best penalty killer, best faceman in the eastern conference. In other words, he has developed in the OHL - he has gained confidence, been the "man" for his team, strengthened his leadership, etc. The development of too many young players are stunted by rushing them in the NHL. Hopefully Bailey won't become one of these players.

“Go Ahead Liberal, Make My Day”

Since: Dec 07

Florida...home of Trump

#29 Mar 27, 2009
isles wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk about beating a dead horse. Enough already loser. It's not funny.
it's 'looser'....lets get with the program, please.
Isles Really Suck

Clifton, NJ

#30 Mar 27, 2009
anybody know which team in the NHL is the only one that doesn't have a 20 goal scorer ???

Take a guess.
Isles Really Suck

Clifton, NJ

#31 Mar 27, 2009
Hilbert Hears A Who wrote:
FYI: The "tragic" number for the Isles is 5. Any combo of Isles losses and/or Tampa/Colorado wins totaling that will lock up 30th place, which means Tavares or Hedman is locked up as well.
Of course, knowing Garth, you never know if one of the other 29 GMs,(or all of them), will try & steal the pick from him. With such an extremely top-heavy draft, if Bettman announces a trade when the Isles are up, we'd have no choice but to get a new arena - the fans would burn this one down to the ground!
FYI it is not a lock.
just their chances are better to get first pick.
you people are having pipe dreams.
Deep Frying

Mineola, NY

#32 Mar 27, 2009
No one cares about Hockey. It's a game that has been "fairied up" over the years.

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Toronto

#33 Mar 27, 2009
Patience wrote:
<quoted text>Bailey is not eligible for the AHL. He's too young. It's the Isles or his junior team for him this year.
wouldn't the spelling be, pationce?

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Toronto

#34 Mar 27, 2009
DDDDDDDD wrote:
Oh, the pation thing goes back a couple of years when someone spelled it wrong and it became the catch phrase.
Nothing more than a running joke.
Right ETR?
misspell? wouldn't the misspell be pasion? pation is a whole other thing
Patience

AOL

#35 Mar 27, 2009
roger43 wrote:
<quoted text>
wouldn't the spelling be, pationce?
Not for me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garth Snow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DiPietro undergoes hip surgery (May '07) Dec '11 Jason 13
News Isles agree to 5-year deal with Calder finalist... (May '11) May '11 designerbag 1
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 usmcsniper1 5
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 Marissa 2 2
News College hockey seeks pain relief (Nov '10) Nov '10 RHE 1
News Islanders show Leafs how it's done (Nov '09) Nov '09 Stevo4 1
News Islanders sign Biron as another backup to DP (Jul '09) Jul '09 TheMetalChick 6
More from around the web