WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumb...

WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumble loss

There are 35 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 26, 2009, titled WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumble loss. In it, Newsday reports that:

After losing to the Rangers Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden , Minnesota's Eric Belanger focused on the next game against the Islanders last night at the Coliseum and said, "We're going to make sure we win it." It wasn't a guarantee so much as an expression of the desperation of a team fighting to remain in the Western Conference playoff ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Battfist

Howell, NJ

#1 Mar 26, 2009
That game was a gut check...and Minnesota whopped us. Hopefully many lessons learned in this kind of loss. Nice to see the kids starting to get an edge to them.

Lemaire needs to zip his trap...that kid didnt have to fight Witt.

Eric

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Mar 26, 2009
You know what else tells me a lot Lemaire? When your guys hit another player after the horn goes off when he's not looking.

Since: Jun 08

North Babylon

#3 Mar 26, 2009
A few thoughts and observations...

The Islanders played a team that clearly overmatched them in terms of size, strength, and determination. It's called a team fighting to stay within the playoff hunt. We were whooped, plain and simple.

The Security guards need to slow it down a bit because Comeau could have seriously been injured as a result of stupid's need to open the doors so fast. Yes, Blake came in with his elbows a little high (ok, obviously high) but when the guy goes flying out of the rink and you continue to go after him that's when the Isles, or anyone for that matter, took exception. I did enjoy seeing the fire it sparked in Okposo.

Joel "Wrecker" Reichlicz picked the wrong guy to fight in Scott. He clearly was on the losing end of that fight but applaud his willingness to take on a big guy.

Witt didn't want to fight but Sheppard left him no choice and Witt gave him what he had coming.

Jackman's hand must still be bothering him from his fight last week because I was suprised to see him avoid from throwing down with a Wild player.

As for Lemaire's comments....shut your mouth. Your guys were taking liberties with a smaller team. Owen Nolan is a punk that I wish some would have handed him a beat down. He was probably one of the cheapest players on the ice last night with his antics. You remember the Isles for next seaosn, hopefully we'll have some size and return the favor next year.

Now for Bailey.....what the heck is going on with him? It is obvious that Snow made a terrible mistake by allowing him to play the entire season in the NHL. He's stunted his devleopment as he again was missing last night. He's needs to go down to the AHL, gain some weight and muscle, play in the World Junior games, build confidence and then try the NHL in a yr of 2.

“Go Ahead Liberal, Make My Day”

Since: Dec 07

Florida...home of Trump

#4 Mar 26, 2009
just no pation in this Islander team
Lotterypick

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Mar 26, 2009
Lets Go Isles wrote:
A few thoughts and observations...
The Islanders played a team that clearly overmatched them in terms of size, strength, and determination. It's called a team fighting to stay within the playoff hunt. We were whooped, plain and simple.
The Security guards need to slow it down a bit because Comeau could have seriously been injured as a result of stupid's need to open the doors so fast. Yes, Blake came in with his elbows a little high (ok, obviously high) but when the guy goes flying out of the rink and you continue to go after him that's when the Isles, or anyone for that matter, took exception. I did enjoy seeing the fire it sparked in Okposo.
Joel "Wrecker" Reichlicz picked the wrong guy to fight in Scott. He clearly was on the losing end of that fight but applaud his willingness to take on a big guy.
Witt didn't want to fight but Sheppard left him no choice and Witt gave him what he had coming.
Jackman's hand must still be bothering him from his fight last week because I was suprised to see him avoid from throwing down with a Wild player.
As for Lemaire's comments....shut your mouth. Your guys were taking liberties with a smaller team. Owen Nolan is a punk that I wish some would have handed him a beat down. He was probably one of the cheapest players on the ice last night with his antics. You remember the Isles for next seaosn, hopefully we'll have some size and return the favor next year.
Now for Bailey.....what the heck is going on with him? It is obvious that Snow made a terrible mistake by allowing him to play the entire season in the NHL. He's stunted his devleopment as he again was missing last night. He's needs to go down to the AHL, gain some weight and muscle, play in the World Junior games, build confidence and then try the NHL in a yr of 2.
Owen Nolan gave a cheap shot to Colton Orr the night before as Orr was letting him get up following their fight. Orr just smiled at him. Hopefully the Isles land one of the top two picks in the draft and then Snow doesn't trade down.

North Babylon

#6 Mar 26, 2009
Guinness Drinker wrote:
just no pation in this Islander team
Ok I've let this go for a while...

It's passion not pation!!!!!!!

P-A-S-S-I-O-N!!!
IslanderMan

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Mar 26, 2009
Lets Go Isles wrote:
<quoted text>
P-A-S-S-I-O-N!!!
LOL.. well its still pretty close for a guinness drinker ;-P
skating on sand

Henderson, NV

#8 Mar 26, 2009
Lets Go Isles wrote:
<quoted text>
P-A-S-S-I-O-N!!!
Let it go. I've tried to make sense of it but supposedly it's some kind of ancient (or is it antiont)cult language that is only known to the 2 remaining survivors of a certain tribe native to Long Island. Kinda like "wind talkers". Anyway, who needs Tarvares, we have Gervais!

Florida...home of Trump

#9 Mar 26, 2009
Lets Go Isles wrote:
<quoted text>
P-A-S-S-I-O-N!!!
nice work....wish you could have relayed that message to the home team last night, they needed it

Florida...home of Trump

#10 Mar 26, 2009
IslanderMan wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.. well its still pretty close for a guinness drinker ;-P
hey, I'm proud of my choice of beverage...maybe there are others better, but I'm pretty close

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

#11 Mar 26, 2009
Lets Go Isles wrote:
<quoted text>
P-A-S-S-I-O-N!!!
not in islander land. it's pation!

North Babylon

#12 Mar 26, 2009
You guys crack me up....lol
Snowjob

New York, NY

#13 Mar 26, 2009
The most obvious weakness that continues to have an adverse effect on this team is its lack of veteran leadership. The kids showed much heart last night and it was great to see them backing each other up. However, they lost their composure and took many unnecessary and undisciplined penalties as the game progressed. Also, there was way to much yapping, especially from Okposo, who seemed only to amuse the Wild more than anything else. What the Wild did to Comeau was not only reckless but classless and cowardly. Several of the guilty parties should have been handed the necessary and immediate retribution. I strongly feel that our biggest weakness is the head coach. His lack of poise and experience emanates through the erratic and inconsistent play of this team. We have some very talented prospects and I think Okposo could be the real deal. However, more than a "system" is needed to make sure that they develop to their maximum potential. Something to consider. Bring back Doug Weight as team Captain and give Witt and Okposo the A's. Okposo is the future of this team so let him be guided by one of the greatest American born players to play in the NHL. Lastly, have a plan in place to remove Gordon mid season if this team doesn't get off to a quick start and replace him with Laviolette (if he would forgive Wang) or another successful veteran coach. There are many available. We are headed in the right direction but lets assure that we finally reach our destination and not get lost in that proverbial fog that has misguided us for so many years. Lets go Isles.
champ4

AOL

#14 Mar 26, 2009
islanders who? god i cant wait to this ending season is over... good news about rickey i tell ya we better be contenders next year this is really horrible to see us going down like this.. even though i know its important to remain in last... last night was horrible im finding im not even instrested in wachin the games any more nothin to watch. i mean realy right?what is it 9 more games just get these games done.........! see ya all in the next season im done nothin to say; lol. lets go yankees.. ps i wish we had the t man instead of gorden... still cant stand this coach......!!

ETR

“Hello boys.....”

.......I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

#15 Mar 26, 2009
Guinness Drinker wrote:
<quoted text>
hey, I'm proud of my choice of beverage...maybe there are others better, but I'm pretty close
I think you are there.....
Joe Torre

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Mar 26, 2009
ETR wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are there.....
Uhmmm...I hear to convince you to drink Bigalow tea...

ETR

“Hello boys.....”

.......I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

#17 Mar 26, 2009
Joe Torre wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhmmm...I hear to convince you to drink Bigalow tea...
You heard me? I don't think so, I don't drink much tea....

Florida...home of Trump

#18 Mar 26, 2009
ETR wrote:
<quoted text>
You heard me? I don't think so, I don't drink much tea....
it's not bad; try it with spring water, forget the Tap
DDDDDDDD

Bayonne, NJ

#19 Mar 26, 2009
Lets Go Isles wrote:
Generally I agree with your well thought out post.
But I'm a little confused why you think Bailey's growth has been stunted and I am interested in hearing what you have to say (if I ever remember to make it back here so I can read it).
Funny thing is I've actually been thinking that while he's not stood out lately at least he hasn't regressed. That's why your words were a surprise.
I do think he should have spent at least some time in the AHL this year but am not so sure he has necessarily been "damaged" by being up here. Its probably been a real eye opener for the kid and he's kept a great deal of poise if you ask me. At times he looks exhausted but how much of that is from a late night with the x-box or a changing body/frame, who's to say. He does need work over the summer but having had the season he will probably go into the off season with a better plan and a good amount of motivation than if he had spent the year in the AHL (I could be wrong, shrug).
I don't know, I don't see him stunting, I just see a real young one who has survived a very strange (by any team's standards) season and has not only made it thru but has a good base and some experience under his belt and (IMO) the promise of better play next year.
Anyway, I hope you can at least partially agree with me and I am all ears on the regression.
DDDDDDDD

Bayonne, NJ

#20 Mar 26, 2009
Oh, the pation thing goes back a couple of years when someone spelled it wrong and it became the catch phrase.
Nothing more than a running joke.
Right ETR?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garth Snow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DiPietro undergoes hip surgery (May '07) Dec '11 Jason 13
News Isles agree to 5-year deal with Calder finalist... (May '11) May '11 designerbag 1
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 usmcsniper1 5
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 Marissa 2 2
News College hockey seeks pain relief (Nov '10) Nov '10 RHE 1
News Islanders show Leafs how it's done (Nov '09) Nov '09 Stevo4 1
News Islanders sign Biron as another backup to DP (Jul '09) Jul '09 TheMetalChick 6
More from around the web