Islanders' Tavares scores in first game

Islanders' Tavares scores in first game

There are 95 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 8, 2009, titled Islanders' Tavares scores in first game. In it, Newsday reports that:

The Islanders are winning the public relations game, judging by the overjoyed fan reaction to their selection of goal-scoring machine John Tavares as the No.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
never sunny on LI

Mastic, NY

#84 Jul 9, 2009
Chuck

Goldvein, VA

#85 Jul 9, 2009
The media best not build this kid up too much because it's going to be very sad when he plays like an average third liner-
Busey

Melville, NY

#86 Jul 10, 2009
Rob wrote:
<quoted text>
You know there are plenty of trolls that show up on most Islander threads to make some moronic statement about KC and how they will laugh when the Isles are gone.
You (specifically) mostly stick to talking about hockey and enjoying the rivalry but there are plenty of Ranger fans who are too ignorant to understand that they actually enjoy the rivalry.
That probably goes for some Isles fans as well but Isles fans are quicker to admit that there is greater joy to beating the Rangers than other teams because of that rivalry. Ranger fans sometimes try to claim that it's just another game. Nobody ever believes that when you take the time to argue on an Islanders thread.
I think its one of the better rivalries in sports.

The Isles have been terrible the past few years but its irrelevant. These teams go at it hard no matter who has the better team.

It's great hockey to watch.

Anyone who wants the Isles to move is a moron
Rob

United States

#87 Jul 10, 2009
never sunny on LI wrote:
www.neversunny.com
Decent enough concept for your blog... but it's bad enough when the majority of posters on here have horrible writing style. Posters on here are often writing something quickly because they are at work and/or not paying full attention to grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation. If you're going to bother reserving a domain, publishing a themed blog, and advertising it you should go to the effort of using a spell checker and proofreading your work (or proofreading it better).

Don't get me wrong... I'm not trying to bash you just to be a jerk... I kind of liked the narrative as far as I got through it. It's just you seem to have gone to at least some effort to polish it a bit and make it a blog that Islander fans would want to return to as a well known forum. If you want to succeed in that endeavor you should really go to the effort of cleaning up your writing.
Feces For Jesus

Richmond Hill, NY

#88 Jul 10, 2009
Mark Messier wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone comfortable with failure.
If my team had only 1 cup in 70+ years, I'd be depressed. Cups are the only barometer of sucess to hockey fans. No cups equals failure. Simple.
Talking about gossip, and rag fans sad wet dreams (of the Islanders moving) are the stuff of failure. Start talking cups and how to be a winner. Stop being a loser.
So, Ovechkins season was a failure this year ? Mats Sundins' entire career is a failure too ? How about last year, was Malkins season a failure when he led the league in points last year?
ISLES

Tenafly, NJ

#89 Jul 11, 2009
LIAM wrote:
<quoted text>
and the KC crowd goes wild!!!
wow that's old and unimaginative
ISLES

Tenafly, NJ

#90 Jul 11, 2009
Mike wrote:
Is he a felon like the other kid the Isles drafted?
Its hysterical to watch the Isles use this kid to sell tickets. They have the least supportive fan base in hockey, so who can blame them? Then they say don't expect too much too fast. Why not? When promoting him like Crosby, well, then be Crosby. 100 points rookie season, please!
well then by your logic the rags better deliver the cup, because they're promoting their signings and team as a stanley cup contender
ISLES

Tenafly, NJ

#91 Jul 11, 2009
Feces For Jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
So, Ovechkins season was a failure this year ? Mats Sundins' entire career is a failure too ? How about last year, was Malkins season a failure when he led the league in points last year?
Excellent, then I don't want to see anything about the rags being better than the isles recently, because according to you the rags and isles are exactly even over the last 15 yrs - 0 cups
Benoit Balls

Forest Hills, NY

#92 Jul 11, 2009
ISLES wrote:
<quoted text>
well then by your logic the rags better deliver the cup, because they're promoting their signings and team as a stanley cup contender
No they're not. Are you high ?
Benoit Balls

Forest Hills, NY

#93 Jul 11, 2009
ISLES wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent, then I don't want to see anything about the rags being better than the isles recently, because according to you the rags and isles are exactly even over the last 15 yrs - 0 cups
He didn't say that at all. He asked you a question. He asked a few questions. Are you STILL high ?
ISLES

Tenafly, NJ

#94 Jul 11, 2009
Benoit Balls wrote:
<quoted text>
He didn't say that at all. He asked you a question. He asked a few questions. Are you STILL high ?
Excellent mature and intelligent responses...LOL
Bill

Vancouver, Canada

#95 Jul 12, 2009
Feces For Jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
We are talking about teams, not individuals. Ovie may well win the Cup one day and Malkin did win it this year. The Cup is the ultimate prize. I guarantee you that Sundin's major priority in his career right now is to sign with a team that has a chance to win the Cup. That is his one remaining goal and then, I am sure, he will retire. If he does not achieve that, it will be the great regret of his career. Any NHLer will tell you that individual rewards are meaningless compared to winning the Cup. At least any NHLer with a soul.
Feces For Jesus

Richmond Hill, NY

#96 Jul 13, 2009
ISLES wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you did not understand the context of my comment, but it was a response to someone saying something along the lines of "if you don't win the cup, your season was unsuccessful".

Obviously, I do not agree with that.
Feces For Jesus

Richmond Hill, NY

#97 Jul 13, 2009
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
We are talking about teams, not individuals. Ovie may well win the Cup one day and Malkin did win it this year. The Cup is the ultimate prize. I guarantee you that Sundin's major priority in his career right now is to sign with a team that has a chance to win the Cup. That is his one remaining goal and then, I am sure, he will retire. If he does not achieve that, it will be the great regret of his career. Any NHLer will tell you that individual rewards are meaningless compared to winning the Cup. At least any NHLer with a soul.
Yes, Sundin will somewhat regret not ever winning a stanley cup, but I'm pretty sure he was content with his career as a whole. Just because he didn't win the cup, does not make him a failure. I bet he's proud of winning an olympic gold and everything else he did.
Bill

Vancouver, Canada

#99 Jul 13, 2009
Feces For Jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Sundin will somewhat regret not ever winning a stanley cup, but I'm pretty sure he was content with his career as a whole. Just because he didn't win the cup, does not make him a failure. I bet he's proud of winning an olympic gold and everything else he did.
Somewhat? No--GREATLY regret. I guarantee you that is the only reason he hasn't retired already. He might have a chance to sign on with Detroit as they have lost several forwards.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garth Snow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DiPietro undergoes hip surgery (May '07) Dec '11 Jason 13
News Isles agree to 5-year deal with Calder finalist... (May '11) May '11 designerbag 1
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 usmcsniper1 5
News Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath (Feb '11) Feb '11 Marissa 2 2
News College hockey seeks pain relief (Nov '10) Nov '10 RHE 1
News Islanders show Leafs how it's done (Nov '09) Nov '09 Stevo4 1
News Islanders sign Biron as another backup to DP (Jul '09) Jul '09 TheMetalChick 6
More from around the web