Blackhawks steal Tampa Bay rookie's show

Blackhawks steal Tampa Bay rookie's show

There are 31 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 17, 2009, titled Blackhawks steal Tampa Bay rookie's show. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The Lightning's Steven Stamkos won the battle of No. 1 overall draft picks, but Patrick Kane and the Blackhawks won the war.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RamRod

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Feb 18, 2009
paul wrote:
<quoted text>
Esposito probably scored as many goals from in front of the net by having them bounce off his butt as he did by stickwork. Took real guts to stand ther in those days when you would get crosschecked and pounded to pay for your turf. Either Buff hasn't got the message on his job or he won't pay the price. If he won't we got to get some one there that will. Perhaps we should show him some tapes of the Detroit games and he will see that big galoot from the Wings parked in front.
I hated Phil with a passion, at the time. In reflection, however and without wanting to be hard on him, he really had no other game. He was successful BECAUSE he knew where to get goals for his team. He was much like a portable stump and fully a third of his goals came from him forcing the puck past the pads, all the while being pounded on, from all sides.

I had hoped that Kaner could get a couple of goals and at full strength. What did encourage me was his work down in our end of the ice. Also, he started showing that scary skating stance he uses when bearing down on the goalie. Sooner or later, all the rest will show up.

Again, look what we did without some key pieces in place. I stand on that and remind myself of what they did to the Sharks. What do you do, when the unexpected needs to be done? WHATEVER THE HECK IT TAKES, PRETTY OR NOT!

"TOK, D!"
BFM

Wood Dale, IL

#22 Feb 18, 2009
Section 317 wrote:
<quoted text>
Same here guys. I listened to that 7th game on the radio in '71 (I was 8 years old) and cried my eyes out when they lost. It was especially bad since they should have won game 6 in Montreal. Because I was so young when the team was truly great - and they came so close to winning it all without actually doing it, my emotional connection to this team is like no other. Bears SB was nice, Sox WS was pretty cool - but nothing would mean more to me personally than witnessing the Hawks win the Stanley Cup. I would have loved to have it happen with Savvy behind the bench as he's a great connection to the "very good but not great" years of the '80s - but we have Quenneville - so be it.
I hope it happens soon. The contracts on Toews/Kane come up after next season...so who knows what the future will bring.....
Does anyone else remember anxiously sitting in front of the radio as a kid. You never knew when they were coming on the air 'cause it all depended on how long the 1st period took. Cheap bastards wouldn't start the broadcast 'til the 1st period was completed! If it got to be 8:25 you'd think "man, there's either alot of goals or alot of fights!" (RIP Lloyd Pettit)
Chico17

La Crosse, WI

#23 Feb 18, 2009
I remember sitting in the 2nd Balcony as a little kid during the regular season and the home final games of the 1961 Stanley Cup CHAMPION CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS! I guess I thought this Cup thing was easy to obtain. My hero was Glen Hall and as I have probably mentioned, he used to give me his used game sticks which I promptly turned into MY game used sticks. Sometimes I wish I had "saved" them, but they gave me a heck of a lot more fun on the ice as a kid goalie. They were Northland Pro's as almost every player used Northland in those days. Glen Hall and the '61 team inspired me to be a player and go on to play in HS and college hockey and subsequently to coach the game which I have done for a long time! I still get a thrill being on the ice helping and watching HS kids want to go on in the game. I have to blame the 60's Blackhawks for this addiction!

“COMMIT TO THE INDIAN”

Since: Oct 08

Naperville

#24 Feb 18, 2009
Where is Tony today? The Hawks are playing in his state, did he go to the game last night. There were plenty of empty seats from watching the game on TV
BFM

Wood Dale, IL

#25 Feb 18, 2009
Chico17 wrote:
I remember sitting in the 2nd Balcony as a little kid during the regular season and the home final games of the 1961 Stanley Cup CHAMPION CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS! I guess I thought this Cup thing was easy to obtain. My hero was Glen Hall and as I have probably mentioned, he used to give me his used game sticks which I promptly turned into MY game used sticks. Sometimes I wish I had "saved" them, but they gave me a heck of a lot more fun on the ice as a kid goalie. They were Northland Pro's as almost every player used Northland in those days. Glen Hall and the '61 team inspired me to be a player and go on to play in HS and college hockey and subsequently to coach the game which I have done for a long time! I still get a thrill being on the ice helping and watching HS kids want to go on in the game. I have to blame the 60's Blackhawks for this addiction!
That's awesome that you remember the '61 Cup. I myself was busy crappin' in my diaper, so I was tending to what seemed like more important issues at the time. Let's hope it's not so long 'til the next Cup that I'm back to that again!
Section 313

North Chicago, IL

#26 Feb 18, 2009
I guess I'm a youngster on this board! The 60s and 70s were before my time, but it is kind of sad how I have similar Blackhawks memories from my childhood. I remember sitting in front of the radio as a child too, but I was listening to guys like Roenick, Chelios, and Belfour! I didn't cry after that game in '71 (wasn't born yet), but I did cry in '92! At least the young Blackhawks fans these days can watch it all unfold in HD.
Chico17

La Crosse, WI

#27 Feb 18, 2009
Just think about the Hawk fans from the 50's and 40's! They have some tales to tell. What's great is that whatever era we come from, it becomes a lifelong thing. I used to listen to my dad and his tales. He's gone now, but I'll never forget his first pair of skates for me. On the pond as a tyke in the Chicago area! Section 313: that '92 thing was sad! I thought we were going to see the Cup! I really love hearing the tales of when a Hawk fan became a fan, regardless of age. I truly believe the Championship is close and I will most certainly cry with joy when it happens. That's what is so great about the Original Six: They have generational history. Like the Sox when they finally won it all! For Cub fans: your day is coming.
BFM

Wood Dale, IL

#28 Feb 18, 2009
Chico, speaking as a Cubs fan, thanks for for the encouraging words, but even I don't think our day is coming.
We didn't have a pond. The Chicago Park District would plow an area and flood it. Talk about mayhem. I can't tell you how many 6 year old girls on figure skates I almost hit in the head with slapshots 'cause they would either skate right through one of our games or decide to change their skates on one of the benchs right behind one of the nets. Thought nothin' of it at the time, but I cringe when I think about it now. Your post helped me remember I have a life time of great hockey memories. From beating a tennis ball up and down the alley with a stick with a "super blade" on it (those bulky plastic blades you heated and stuck on a shaft. When I first heard about them I rode the bus 7 miles to the first store I knew of that had them.) to playing in various adult ice, floor and ball hockey leagues, it's all been good. I really need that Hawks Stanley Cup to complete my journey.

“COMMIT TO THE INDIAN”

Since: Oct 08

Naperville

#29 Feb 18, 2009
Section 313 I am with you on that, I was not alive during the 71 season either. I remember the cup finals against the Penguins. I will enjoy reading the stories from the other guys here.
paul

Elmira, Canada

#30 Feb 18, 2009
Tim from Canada wrote:
<quoted text>The team that wins the West(unless they get really beaten up in the process)will win the cup,
I agree. Who do you think they will play in the East? Boston? Philly? The west I think is the toughest division for sure.
paul

Elmira, Canada

#31 Feb 18, 2009
SAw the '61 a win on tv( black and White)'71 a loss Lemaire's lucky shot and then Henri Richard comes out after Parker MacDonald had benched him and played like a man possessed.I think Richard killed us.'91 can I say, Mario Lemieux in his prime and out to show the world he could lead a team to the promised land. Hold that thought guys 'cause our day is coming.
Oh why I liked the Hawks? When I was a kid they still wore the stripped unis and I thought they were cool and what kid didn't like Indians? Guys I can remember when Al Rollins was our goalie and we were on the bottom of the heap. The poor guy had nights when he had over 50 shots. Used to get the games on HNIC radio with Foster Hewitt broadcasting the Leaf games.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duncan Keith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Game Preview: Chicago Blackhawks to Take On Inj... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Reg 1
News The Most Disappointing Players on the Chicago B... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Reg 1
News Kane's 5th goal in 7 games helps Blackhawks win (Nov '14) Nov '14 Reg 1
News Who Must Step Up for the Chicago Blackhawks Aft... (Nov '14) Nov '14 B-Hawks Forever 1
News Chicago Blackhawks Must Stop Relying So Heavily... (May '14) May '14 Reg 1
News Seabrook gets 3-game suspension for hard hit (Apr '14) Apr '14 Reg 1
News Will Brent Seabrook's Olympic Snub Become a Pro... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Reg 1
More from around the web