Blackhawks steal Tampa Bay rookie's show

Blackhawks steal Tampa Bay rookie's show

There are 31 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 17, 2009, titled Blackhawks steal Tampa Bay rookie's show. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The Lightning's Steven Stamkos won the battle of No. 1 overall draft picks, but Patrick Kane and the Blackhawks won the war.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Section 319

AOL

#1 Feb 18, 2009
Big comeback win on the road. That's gotta stoke the confidence. Way to go boys!

Nice to see both Toews and Kane with 3-point games. Hope Q keeps those two together the rest of the way.

And Havlat continues to show why he may now be the Hawks best player. Gotta sign him. After that sensensational series Saturday night, the winning goal last night was all him.

But getting more and more worried about the PPK. What the heck is going on there?

Let's Go Hawks!
Jacqueass

Iola, WI

#2 Feb 18, 2009
Did I miss something? When and how did the Hawks get Alex Ovechkin? Wait, that's Havlat?
paul

Elmira, Canada

#3 Feb 18, 2009
Lets hope last nights goal gets Kane on a streak!! Kane and Bolland, two guys that played for the London Knights both figure in the scoring. It is indeed hard to be humble when talking about former Knights showing their skill in the big show on one's favorite team!! Captain Toews with 2 biggies and Havlat working his butt off. A come from behind win showing no quit at all. Somwtimes life just don't get any better. GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!
BFM

Wood Dale, IL

#4 Feb 18, 2009
O.K., as someone who has been unsure about signing Havlat because of cap issues and his tendency to be in street clothes more often than not, I have to say the Hawks need to sign this guy. What an effort on the game winner. As someone who has watched the Hawks (road games) on TV for 40 years I am seldom inspired enough by anything I see for my butt to lose contact with the couch, but I actually leapt to my feet when Bolland scored. Tony, I think I've got to go join the other side (Tim's) on this one. It could still be a mistake, but......
Section 317

Chicago, IL

#5 Feb 18, 2009
Havlat's work on the Bolland goal was amazing. The showed the replay on comcast Sports Rise this morning, but even the replay of what he did behind the net doesn't really do what he did justice. He ran a clinic in TB's zone near the blue line before getting the puck back in the corner and then making the play happen out of sheer will. Yes, I jumped out of my seat for that one - and the Toews lethal wrister that made it 5-3 was great too.

The penalty kill has been awful for well over a month now - its VERY worrisome to me. Can't win for long in the playoffs if you can't kill penalties. Teams like (I hate to admit) Detroit will kill you in the playoffs if you can't play shorthanded...
Indy Hawk Fan

Lebanon, IN

#6 Feb 18, 2009
Great win! I think I'll wear my Havlat sweater today.

GO HAWKS!
RamRod

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Feb 18, 2009
" .. strong effort by Havlat .." ??
Are you kidding me? That was another classic highlight reel appearance, IF he had been the one to score. Bolland gets player of the game, because, if after all that, he hadn't finished it with a goal, we'd be all over him like ugly on an ape.
Havlat may have changed the season, because I've seen others, including the kids, be almost as determined in similar efforts, but NOT LATELY. Kaner, Toews, Eager, Versteeg, Sharpie, and others have had that moment where their actions say something like: "maybe you guys are good enough to steal one away from us, BUT NOT TONIGHT, BECAUSE WE NEED IT MORE THAN YOU, RIGHT NOW and if it means that I have to carry more than my share, so be it!"
Big Buff, sorry, disappointed me. Yes, he was beating off checkers like Godzilla swatting Spads, but when it really would have helped, he just wouldn't get down in front of the net. Even Eddy O' was imploring him to do it. It struck me that he seemed to be acting instinctively as a defenseman. He looks unnatural on the boards in the corners and behind the net. Those who know me, know that I love the guy, but I've given up on seeing him as a Phil Esposito type, as I had hoped. Prove me wrong Buff.

Snippet: our guys, at least three times, getting a leather face wash in the crease to one side or the other, without retaliating and in sticking with their jobs, made something happen. Burish was one (that smart a$$ grin drew another penalty), but don't remember the others.

This game was one they should have won, but it was the way they put it together that had me punching holes in the overhead.

Kane's interview a classic. Spent more time lauding Sharpie's accomplishments than his own and Sharpie wasn't on the ice last night! We have to send these kids to some kind of "Arrogant Athletes Interview Skills School" Slogan "Learn to speak like a slug, while building your own image to look better than it is."

Blackhawks,

"They're OUR kids, damnit!"
Chico17

La Crosse, WI

#8 Feb 18, 2009
Sign Martin Havlat! Sign Martin Havlat... This old hockey coach doesn't know very much, but he knows magic hands when he sees them. Man, please don't let him get away Blackhawks management. I have officially jumped on the MH bandwagon. That piece of pure skill and desire and hustle to set up Boland was a thing of beauty! He is a valuable player that the Hawks need going forward. He is only 26 and has a lot of great days ahead. Keep the boys together! Coming from behind shows what they are made of. My grade for Huet: B. He held on to get the win. As Huet goes, so goes the Hawks. Keep the feet moving boys!
paul

Elmira, Canada

#9 Feb 18, 2009
RamRod wrote:
" .. strong effort by Havlat .." ??
Are you kidding me? That was another classic highlight reel appearance, IF he had been the one to score. Bolland gets player of the game, because, if after all that, he hadn't finished it with a goal, we'd be all over him like ugly on an ape.
Havlat may have changed the season, because I've seen others, including the kids, be almost as determined in similar efforts, but NOT LATELY. Kaner, Toews, Eager, Versteeg, Sharpie, and others have had that moment where their actions say something like: "maybe you guys are good enough to steal one away from us, BUT NOT TONIGHT, BECAUSE WE NEED IT MORE THAN YOU, RIGHT NOW and if it means that I have to carry more than my share, so be it!"
Big Buff, sorry, disappointed me. Yes, he was beating off checkers like Godzilla swatting Spads, but when it really would have helped, he just wouldn't get down in front of the net. Even Eddy O' was imploring him to do it. It struck me that he seemed to be acting instinctively as a defenseman. He looks unnatural on the boards in the corners and behind the net. Those who know me, know that I love the guy, but I've given up on seeing him as a Phil Esposito type, as I had hoped. Prove me wrong Buff.
Snippet: our guys, at least three times, getting a leather face wash in the crease to one side or the other, without retaliating and in sticking with their jobs, made something happen. Burish was one (that smart **** grin drew another penalty), but don't remember the others.
This game was one they should have won, but it was the way they put it together that had me punching holes in the overhead.
Kane's interview a classic. Spent more time lauding Sharpie's accomplishments than his own and Sharpie wasn't on the ice last night! We have to send these kids to some kind of "Arrogant Athletes Interview Skills School" Slogan "Learn to speak like a slug, while building your own image to look better than it is."
Blackhawks,
"They're OUR kids, damnit!"
Esposito probably scored as many goals from in front of the net by having them bounce off his butt as he did by stickwork. Took real guts to stand ther in those days when you would get crosschecked and pounded to pay for your turf. Either Buff hasn't got the message on his job or he won't pay the price. If he won't we got to get some one there that will. Perhaps we should show him some tapes of the Detroit games and he will see that big galoot from the Wings parked in front.
Chico17

La Crosse, WI

#10 Feb 18, 2009
Paul: Got to love those London Knights! I sure wish we had Junior team like that around here. You're a lucky boy to have that kind of hockey in your backyard! Chico
Blugene

AOL

#11 Feb 18, 2009
I remember sitting in my car while living in Ontonogan, MI ( on the U.P.)
and listening to Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Jim Pappin, Dennis Hull and the boys as they lost to the Canadians when a fluke shot by Jacque Lemaire eluded Tony Esposito and opened the gates for two more, unanswered goals. That would have been the 1971 Hawk team.
Tough loss especially after taking a two to zip game lead in the finals.
This current team may be the best team the Hawks have put on the ice since that glorious era.
THE KIDS CAN PLAY

“COMMIT TO THE INDIAN”

Since: Oct 08

Naperville

#12 Feb 18, 2009
What a crazy game in Tampa. When the score was 3-1 I was worried, how could the Hawks continue to be out played by teams that are not very good. Then with less than 2 minutes in the 2nd period Toews scores and that changed the momentium of the game. As far as I am concerned Havlat is playing the best hockey of his career and yes they need to resign him. Glad to see BFM coming over to my side of the fence with Havlat. I believe that Havlat is playing that good cause he is healthy and when he has good players around him he can play that way. I just hope that the resign him. Huet had me concerned, so did the PK unit, giving up 3 PP goals was not good, eventhough one was a 4 on 4.

Tony - were you at the game??

“It's him again”

Since: Apr 08

Hamilton On

#13 Feb 18, 2009
Section 317 wrote:
Havlat's work on the Bolland goal was amazing. The showed the replay on comcast Sports Rise this morning, but even the replay of what he did behind the net doesn't really do what he did justice. He ran a clinic in TB's zone near the blue line before getting the puck back in the corner and then making the play happen out of sheer will. Yes, I jumped out of my seat for that one - and the Toews lethal wrister that made it 5-3 was great too.
The penalty kill has been awful for well over a month now - its VERY worrisome to me. Can't win for long in the playoffs if you can't kill penalties. Teams like (I hate to admit) Detroit will kill you in the playoffs if you can't play shorthanded...
The team that wins the West(unless they get really beaten up in the process)will win the cup,
deadboy

Naperville, IL

#14 Feb 18, 2009
awesome game plus the win. stamkos was fun to watch.
all of the hawks were fun to watch last night. havlat is pure magic.hes never played like this even in ottawa. ive knocked toews alot this year but he does have a knack for putting the puck in the net,goals just happen with him. bolland has impressed me all year and is only going to get better. very slick out there. buff hits and fights which is improvement but still cant score. we cant trade him though,the potential is just too high.
fun game to watch last night. last game i attended at oldstadium was against the lightning,matteu scored the game winner. memories.
i almost cant wait till next year, these kids are only going to get better.
BFM

Wood Dale, IL

#15 Feb 18, 2009
Blugene wrote:
I remember sitting in my car while living in Ontonogan, MI ( on the U.P.)
and listening to Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Jim Pappin, Dennis Hull and the boys as they lost to the Canadians when a fluke shot by Jacque Lemaire eluded Tony Esposito and opened the gates for two more, unanswered goals. That would have been the 1971 Hawk team.
Tough loss especially after taking a two to zip game lead in the finals.
This current team may be the best team the Hawks have put on the ice since that glorious era.
THE KIDS CAN PLAY
Thanks for bringing up one of my worst childhood memories. Not that it's ever very far away. Every time I see Lemaire behind the Wild's bench I think of that goal. EVERY TIME! Scarred I am. For life!
Steve

Chicago, IL

#16 Feb 18, 2009
It's kind of strange how Kuc downplays what Havlat did to create the game-winning goal. Credit Bolland for going to the net, but Havlat peeled off of three defenders in the corner to deliver the pass. A lot of times the assist is stat-padder, but this one was a big point.
Chico17

La Crosse, WI

#17 Feb 18, 2009
Tony: Were you there?
South Sider in Florida

Pensacola, FL

#18 Feb 18, 2009
Martin Havlat's work on Boland's goal during that 4 on 4 was nothing short of awe inspiring. I haven't seen determination out of ANY pro-athlete like that in a long, long, time.

Great stuff by #24. Havlat has been the undisputed team MVP this year in my book. And pre-season I'd hoped they traded him or moved him. Proudly standing corrected now!
deadboy

Naperville, IL

#19 Feb 18, 2009
South Sider in Florida wrote:
Martin Havlat's work on Boland's goal during that 4 on 4 was nothing short of awe inspiring. I haven't seen determination out of ANY pro-athlete like that in a long, long, time.
Great stuff by #24. Havlat has been the undisputed team MVP this year in my book. And pre-season I'd hoped they traded him or moved him. Proudly standing corrected now!
agreed. if not for havlat this past month who knows where wed be. his highlight backhand goal against calgary? in the 4th game of year woke this team up and they havent looked back. true gamebreaker.
Section 317

Chicago, IL

#20 Feb 18, 2009
BFM wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks for bringing up one of my worst childhood memories. Not that it's ever very far away. Every time I see Lemaire behind the Wild's bench I think of that goal. EVERY TIME! Scarred I am. For life!
Same here guys. I listened to that 7th game on the radio in '71 (I was 8 years old) and cried my eyes out when they lost. It was especially bad since they should have won game 6 in Montreal. Because I was so young when the team was truly great - and they came so close to winning it all without actually doing it, my emotional connection to this team is like no other. Bears SB was nice, Sox WS was pretty cool - but nothing would mean more to me personally than witnessing the Hawks win the Stanley Cup. I would have loved to have it happen with Savvy behind the bench as he's a great connection to the "very good but not great" years of the '80s - but we have Quenneville - so be it.

I hope it happens soon. The contracts on Toews/Kane come up after next season...so who knows what the future will bring.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duncan Keith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Game Preview: Chicago Blackhawks to Take On Inj... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Reg 1
News The Most Disappointing Players on the Chicago B... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Reg 1
News Kane's 5th goal in 7 games helps Blackhawks win (Nov '14) Nov '14 Reg 1
News Who Must Step Up for the Chicago Blackhawks Aft... (Nov '14) Nov '14 B-Hawks Forever 1
News Chicago Blackhawks Must Stop Relying So Heavily... (May '14) May '14 Reg 1
News Seabrook gets 3-game suspension for hard hit (Apr '14) Apr '14 Reg 1
News Will Brent Seabrook's Olympic Snub Become a Pro... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Reg 1
More from around the web