New to hockey and the Blackhawks? Her...

New to hockey and the Blackhawks? Here's a primer

There are 55 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 30, 2008, titled New to hockey and the Blackhawks? Here's a primer. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The spectacle of the Winter Classic Thursday at Wrigley Field is sure to draw some first-time hockey attendees and viewers so here's a quick lesson about the sport and the hometown Blackhawks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Native Chicagoan

Chicago, IL

#42 Dec 31, 2008
AMP wrote:
Hawks fans, new to hockey? No. New to winning? Yes.
GO WINGS!
Hi Amp - you are a dbag. Back to Detroit where you belong. I hear there are some great deals to be had in housing in River Rouge
Hawks09

Washington, DC

#43 Dec 31, 2008
A few more tips:
1. Cheer throughout the entire national anthem
2. There is no “Go Hawks Go” chant, its “De Troit Sucks”
transplant

United States

#44 Dec 31, 2008
perfect article. The people in Chicago need help. They already drive like this is Tampa whenever any snow falls
Here Come the Hawks

Naperville, IL

#45 Dec 31, 2008
Also, wait for the whistle to move to/from your seat!
Carl

Downers Grove, IL

#46 Dec 31, 2008
To Greg from Buffalo, I didn't realize they still allowed professional franchises in your city after the Bills lost four superbowls.
landofcapone

Sugar Grove, IL

#47 Dec 31, 2008
Oh joy! Now the Hawks "fans" won't jump and cheer no matter what happens - like the Bear "fans"
mannytress

Rhinelander, WI

#48 Dec 31, 2008
hey Chris,
whatever you do keep your feelings to yourself and don't predict tomorrows game (like you did last night)...I kind of took it as a jinx and we don't need another one.
tim from Canada

Caledonia, Canada

#49 Dec 31, 2008
And the tractor on the ice between periods is making scrapings for sno cones
wicked intense

Ottawa, Canada

#50 Dec 31, 2008
Wow this article is a joke. Like come on I thought Chicago was a hockey town? Damn ESPN has brainwashed america.

GO HABS!!!!
Rob

Skokie, IL

#51 Dec 31, 2008
I still don't get what the $#*^*! is icing.
Self Taught Hockey Fan

Evergreen Park, IL

#52 Jan 1, 2009
Michael wrote:
I say F the hockey ignorant. I sincerely doubt that this is the article that is going to make others say, "Wow, I didn't know hockey had a thing called a power play? That sounds kinda neat. Basketball doesn't have that. Maybe I should check this out." I'm all for welcoming new fans, but they need to join the ranks the old fashioned way. Either watch games until you familiarize yourself with the rules or do your own bookwork, i.e. "Hockey for Dummies" or something. And for god's sake, don't sit behind me tomorrow and ask your partner, "I don't get it, what's offsides again?" If you can't figure that out, please just take a hammer and hit yourself in the head until your black out.
My...head...hurts. I...can't...learn...any...more
Do_I_need_a_Helm et

Evergreen Park, IL

#53 Jan 1, 2009
Michael wrote:
I say F the hockey ignorant. I sincerely doubt that this is the article that is going to make others say, "Wow, I didn't know hockey had a thing called a power play? That sounds kinda neat. Basketball doesn't have that. Maybe I should check this out." I'm all for welcoming new fans, but they need to join the ranks the old fashioned way. Either watch games until you familiarize yourself with the rules or do your own bookwork, i.e. "Hockey for Dummies" or something. And for god's sake, don't sit behind me tomorrow and ask your partner, "I don't get it, what's offsides again?" If you can't figure that out, please just take a hammer and hit yourself in the head until your black out.
I only have a few minutes to get ready for my first hockey game... Will security let me bring my own hammer into the game? Can I get a special Winter Classic Hockey Learnin' Hammer? Can you tell me what the hammer does again?
Jeff

Britton, MI

#54 Jan 1, 2009
Hockey 101: Red Wings win; Hawks, lose.
willie

Yucca Valley, CA

#55 Jan 1, 2009
'white boys on ice'

that is what hockey is to me
Tim

Chicago, IL

#56 Jan 1, 2009
I, for one, thank the Trib for the hockey primer. Gotta start somewhere.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duncan Keith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Game Preview: Chicago Blackhawks to Take On Inj... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Reg 1
News The Most Disappointing Players on the Chicago B... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Reg 1
News Kane's 5th goal in 7 games helps Blackhawks win (Nov '14) Nov '14 Reg 1
News Who Must Step Up for the Chicago Blackhawks Aft... (Nov '14) Nov '14 B-Hawks Forever 1
News Chicago Blackhawks Must Stop Relying So Heavily... (May '14) May '14 Reg 1
News Seabrook gets 3-game suspension for hard hit (Apr '14) Apr '14 Reg 1
News Will Brent Seabrook's Olympic Snub Become a Pro... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Reg 1
More from around the web