New to hockey and the Blackhawks? Her...

New to hockey and the Blackhawks? Here's a primer

There are 55 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 30, 2008, titled New to hockey and the Blackhawks? Here's a primer. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The spectacle of the Winter Classic Thursday at Wrigley Field is sure to draw some first-time hockey attendees and viewers so here's a quick lesson about the sport and the hometown Blackhawks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
hawknut

Aurora, IL

#1 Dec 30, 2008
one correction - there IS icing during power plays, for the team that does not have one of its players in the penalty box. There is no icing for the short-handed (penalized) team only!
Two line pass

Bolingbrook, IL

#2 Dec 30, 2008
What? Chicago has a hockey team? That's awesome! Hockey is a neat sport, and I'm glad the NHL expanded to Chicago.
AndrewPDX

Portland, OR

#3 Dec 30, 2008
Thanks for this. Yes, I'm a newbie but I look forward to learning. My older brother was a fan of the Keith Magnuson/Tony Esposito-era Hawks, but I was too young to understand the nuances of the game. It'd be cool to take up the mantle.
Detroit Sucks

Aurora, IL

#4 Dec 30, 2008
So sad that there has to be an article about this...the Hawks have only been around since 1926.
And that Patrick Kane fella...who is he again? Please! Now that the Bears lost, I for one am thankful that the Hawks are in the spotlight once again!
Kevin

Chicago, IL

#5 Dec 30, 2008
Are you kidding me? Did an article this basic and insulting have to be written?

Does the trib really think we wouldn't even know which team the hawks are?

WOW! This is scary, apparently chicago is in florida
Greg

Niagara Falls, NY

#6 Dec 30, 2008
This article is ridiculous. Come on Chicago! You're an "Original 6" hockey city. Bring "The Classic" back to Buffalo, a city that very obviously doesn't need an insulting article such as this.
Greg

Niagara Falls, NY

#7 Dec 30, 2008
This article is ridiculous. Come on Chicago! You're an "Original 6" hockey city. Bring "The Classic" back to Buffalo, a city that very obviously doesn't need an article such as this.
go hawks

Chicago, IL

#8 Dec 30, 2008
im with two line pass, it is good the NHL expanded to chi... Now the trib can tell us all about this crazy and wild sport
soxfan

Chicago, IL

#9 Dec 30, 2008
a guy from buffalo... we don't need to say anything more then that... are there even enough people left there to fill the arena in that city?
Greg wrote:
This article is ridiculous. Come on Chicago! You're an "Original 6" hockey city. Bring "The Classic" back to Buffalo, a city that very obviously doesn't need an article such as this.
wrigleywrink

Chicago, IL

#10 Dec 30, 2008
can't wait to get back at the dead wings for tonight's game!!
GO HAWKS!!
Greg

Niagara Falls, NY

#11 Dec 30, 2008
Yeah, actually we sell out every game. Ouch, another shot at the plight of our city. I've never heard that one before. That's original. You really got me, Chicago fan.
soxfan wrote:
a guy from buffalo... we don't need to say anything more then that... are there even enough people left there to fill the arena in that city?
<quoted text>
ruddie64

El Segundo, CA

#12 Dec 31, 2008
I didn't realize Buffalo still had a hockey team. Since Robert, Perreault and Martin retired the Sabres have been non-existent. Greg, are you so lame you have to read the Chicago Trib online to get your news? Buffalo doesn't have a newspaper?
Clifton Clowers

Westchester, IL

#13 Dec 31, 2008
Kevin wrote:
Are you kidding me? Did an article this basic and insulting have to be written?
Does the trib really think we wouldn't even know which team the hawks are?
WOW! This is scary, apparently chicago is in florida
You have to know this article was written by the same person who wrote last week that the PHILADELPHIA FLERS are an original six team!!! Very astute hockey writer.
Michael

Chicago, IL

#14 Dec 31, 2008
I say F the hockey ignorant. I sincerely doubt that this is the article that is going to make others say, "Wow, I didn't know hockey had a thing called a power play? That sounds kinda neat. Basketball doesn't have that. Maybe I should check this out." I'm all for welcoming new fans, but they need to join the ranks the old fashioned way. Either watch games until you familiarize yourself with the rules or do your own bookwork, i.e. "Hockey for Dummies" or something. And for god's sake, don't sit behind me tomorrow and ask your partner, "I don't get it, what's offsides again?" If you can't figure that out, please just take a hammer and hit yourself in the head until your black out.
Agnes Blumgarten

Westchester, IL

#15 Dec 31, 2008
Michael wrote:
I say F the hockey ignorant. I sincerely doubt that this is the article that is going to make others say, "Wow, I didn't know hockey had a thing called a power play? That sounds kinda neat. Basketball doesn't have that. Maybe I should check this out." I'm all for welcoming new fans, but they need to join the ranks the old fashioned way. Either watch games until you familiarize yourself with the rules or do your own bookwork, i.e. "Hockey for Dummies" or something. And for god's sake, don't sit behind me tomorrow and ask your partner, "I don't get it, what's offsides again?" If you can't figure that out, please just take a hammer and hit yourself in the head until your black out.
Certainly know the book you read to learn the Game!!!!!!! It was not HOCKEY FOR THE TOLERANT. How are those dummy primers?
krebs

United States

#16 Dec 31, 2008
Fitting the Blackhawks will be playing at Wrigley in front of people who have no appreciation for hockey, or baseball when it's played there. My bet is half of those present do not stay past the first period.

Maybe I'm just a little bitter that I didn't get a ticket though.
jim

United States

#17 Dec 31, 2008
I don't mean to be super critical, but there can be icing during a power play.

The team that is penalized can "ice the puck" without a stoppage in play. However, if the team at full strength inadvertently ices the puck there will be a stoppage in play.
Murphy

Westchester, IL

#18 Dec 31, 2008
krebs wrote:
Fitting the Blackhawks will be playing at Wrigley in front of people who have no appreciation for hockey, or baseball when it's played there. My bet is half of those present do not stay past the first period.
Maybe I'm just a little bitter that I didn't get a ticket though.
My guess is the majority of the crowd will be real sports fans, not cub fans .
Mike

Oak Park, IL

#19 Dec 31, 2008
Michael wrote:
My guess is that the article should have been headlined "Hockey for Cub Fans and Wrigleyville Residents" since they seem to be the ones most unaware of the of other sports and teams in town. By the way, Chris, you mentioned "it's a Canadian thing" as a reason for 'Toews' to be pronounced 'Taves', but please tell us what happened to the 'fugli' in Dustin's last name?
Murphy

Westchester, IL

#20 Dec 31, 2008
jim wrote:
I don't mean to be super critical, but there can be icing during a power play.
The team that is penalized can "ice the puck" without a stoppage in play. However, if the team at full strength inadvertently ices the puck there will be a stoppage in play.
The maneuver can be intentional as well as inadvertent to be ruled icing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duncan Keith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Game Preview: Chicago Blackhawks to Take On Inj... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Reg 1
News The Most Disappointing Players on the Chicago B... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Reg 1
News Kane's 5th goal in 7 games helps Blackhawks win (Nov '14) Nov '14 Reg 1
News Who Must Step Up for the Chicago Blackhawks Aft... (Nov '14) Nov '14 B-Hawks Forever 1
News Chicago Blackhawks Must Stop Relying So Heavily... (May '14) May '14 Reg 1
News Seabrook gets 3-game suspension for hard hit (Apr '14) Apr '14 Reg 1
News Will Brent Seabrook's Olympic Snub Become a Pro... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Reg 1
More from around the web