Blackhawks offense returns in nick of...

Blackhawks offense returns in nick of time

There are 28 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 3, 2008, titled Blackhawks offense returns in nick of time. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Tucked safely back in the comfort of their own time zone, the Blackhawks set out Wednesday night to get their idling offense back to its level before the circus trip.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tony

Nobleton, FL

#1 Dec 4, 2008
Great to get the win but for a team that had been on the road and should've been dead tired the Ducks played their assss off and up until Havlat scored it wasn't looking good. Q's right, Versteeg deserves a lot of credit for this one. The kid has great hands and vision. Huet was steady...Detroit next...

CCB

Since: Oct 07

Chicago

#2 Dec 4, 2008
A win for the Hawks but I thought they actually played better in Anaheim when they lost.

The Hawks came out strong in period one. They hit the post 3 or 4 times and Hiller (again!) stood on his head to make saves - should have been 3 or 4 nil.

I'm not sure what team was on the ice wearing the red sweaters for the second period and most of the third 'cause it wasn't the same team that played in them the first period.

They were dominated by the Ducks until the last 6 minutes of the game, when they finally showed real intensity.

One of the main weaknesses of the Hawks was exposed - size. They floundered under the agressive forechecking of the Ducks. There were LONG stretches in the 2nd and most of the 3rd where the Hawks couldn't even clear their own zone and when they did - they didn't spend a lot of time pressuring Anaheim.

Sharp played well as did Keith IMO. Byfuglien missed a nice centering pass from Kane right off the bat and his play wasn't much different than it has been all season. It will be interesting to see how the line changes play out.
Section 319

AOL

#3 Dec 4, 2008
Versteeg!!! More and more, I'm thinking we got two Calders in a row. There's constant harping about Tallon, but I haven't heard anyone giver him the big kudos he deserves for somehow stealing Versteeg from Boston less than two years ago.

Having lost 3 in a row and with going to Detroit on Saturday, this was our first must win game things weren't looking good late. But Versteeg-Keith-Havlat, then Versteeg-Teows get er done. Nice! Now pressure's off and we'll see if we can steal one in Detroit.

Saturday night should be fun.

Let's Go Hawks!
paul

London, Canada

#4 Dec 4, 2008
SWEET!!
Found a way to come back and grab the win. Versteeg and Drew Doughty are the two candidates for rookie of the year. Versteeg was the player of the game! Havlat finally showed up for a game and we really need his offense if we are going to go places . Toews play in the late third was inspiring.
Huet got er done.
We are due to get on a roll. On to Detroit for a Saturday night special. A win there and we are flying. GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!
South Sider in Florida

Cantonment, FL

#5 Dec 4, 2008
Great win, and a great rebound from that little tailspin. Way to go. And I'm delighted with the organization for honoring Steve Larmer, one of my all time favorite hockey players. The end of his career with the Hawks was ugly, much like what the White Sox pulled on Carlton Fisk, and it was uncalled for. It was a great moment for him hoisting the Cup with the Rangers afterward, but he'll always be a Blackhawk in my play book. I'm very glad that Steve was part of this "reconciliation". If there's one more number to retire and hang from the rafters, I say retire number 28!

Can't one of you guys start a petition like you did for Pat Foley? Let's get Larm's jersey retired. No other Hawk deserves it more in my opinion.
RamRod

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Dec 4, 2008
Bulls suck! Bears suck! Baseball "hot-stove" league is nothing but rumor and innuendo. Who cares, but for alums, whether Weis stays or not. The Blackhawks are acknowledged as the hot ticket in town.

Where was this story? Buried in the sports only section!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

Whatever!

I still am enjoying the heck out of watching the "kids" draped all over any of the Ducks with the puck. Great corner and blue line checking.

Versteeg is a wrecking ball with precision guidance. Doesn't hurt that he has great peripheral vision. Toews and Kane both contributed on helpers too. Sharp was sharp, as usual.

Buff looked a little more aware, except for a point that I noticed he had the best chance of doing some damage and helping himself. I'm no expert and shouldn't be pointing it out, but, I noticed he's too far out from the net and actually gets in the way of blue-line offense, when we're passing around the corners. Brouwer was in around the crease all night and Buff was out cruisin' through the circles, on his shift. Is that what he's supposed to be doin'?

Doesn't matter. They're slowly building momentum and still having new people being key to each win.

AND they're fun to watch!!

"They're OUR kids, damnit!"
Tony

Nobleton, FL

#7 Dec 4, 2008
I hear ya RamRod I don't know about anybody else but i'm sick of looking at Charlie Weis on the front page for the last week and a half....The Hawk coverage is what it is...
BFM

Bartlett, IL

#8 Dec 4, 2008
Havlat's goal was electrifying for the simple fact Anaheim had clamped down and was slowing sucking the life out of the building, and they're normally one of the best at doing just that. Great win considering the first home game after a long road trip is often a clunker.
bushrags

Tempe, AZ

#9 Dec 4, 2008
Anybody know why games that are supposedly on WGN, aren't (at least here in Phoenix). Hawks and Bulls are both supposed to be televised on 'GN, and all I get is Muffy the Vampire Layer. Is it the new WGN America or something? Do I need premium package to actually see these games? When Cubs are supposed to be televised, I flip on WGN and there they are.

Anyone?? Bueller??
Tenn Tuxedo

United States

#10 Dec 4, 2008
Versteeg is fun to watch. Keep it up.

Since: Sep 08

Hobart, IN

#11 Dec 4, 2008
If you live outside of the Chicago area or dont have Direct TV or NHL Center ICe you cant see them on WGN...
I live an hour away from Chicago and i cant see em either...its frustrating but you can find streams online if you look hard enough....
RamRod

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Dec 4, 2008
Bushrags -

Last night's game was on Comcast, you know?

There was a game earlier this year that turned up on the wrong channel, as announced and on all schedules. Result? Brilliant RamRod put all possible channels, for Hawk's games, on a second "favorite" list! Spin through those and I get EVERY Hawks game. THANKS, AGAIN, ROCKY, JOHN AND DALE!!

"TOK, D!"
RamRod

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Dec 4, 2008
PS: Rocky, John and Dale -

Could you please help my new-found friends with this problem. They buy stuff too, you know and sponsors can be found for making sure that all hungry Blackhawk fans get their fill of this bright, fun, exciting, resurgent, new batch of kids, playing the way we all had hoped for, but never figured to see. LET US ALL SEE!

Thanks Rocky, John and Dale. You know your names together sound like a Robinhood or comeback-fighter movie!

"TOK, D!"
paul

London, Canada

#14 Dec 4, 2008
bushrags wrote:
Anybody know why games that are supposedly on WGN, aren't (at least here in Phoenix). Hawks and Bulls are both supposed to be televised on 'GN, and all I get is Muffy the Vampire Layer. Is it the new WGN America or something? Do I need premium package to actually see these games? When Cubs are supposed to be televised, I flip on WGN and there they are.
Anyone?? Bueller??
You have a able network called Versa or vesta or whatever and the have NHL rights for USA. In Canada we get games on HNIC and TSN on national NHL contract and get regional games on Sportsnet and TSN2. WE don't get out of local maket games unless they are under the national contract with NHL.
The exception is we can get about half of the Hawks games on WGN as part of premium cable or satelite package. Last night we got the Bulls game rather then the Hawks.
There that should be as clear as mud but it is the best explanation I can offer. The blckouts of the Hawks games is by the NHL rules not the Hawks.
paul

London, Canada

#16 Dec 4, 2008
RamRod wrote:
Bushrags -
Last night's game was on Comcast, you know?
There was a game earlier this year that turned up on the wrong channel, as announced and on all schedules. Result? Brilliant RamRod put all possible channels, for Hawk's games, on a second "favorite" list! Spin through those and I get EVERY Hawks game. THANKS, AGAIN, ROCKY, JOHN AND DALE!!
"TOK, D!"
Get your leaves cleaned up yet??
iceman01

Marshall, MN

#17 Dec 4, 2008
paul wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a able network called Versa or vesta or whatever and the have NHL rights for USA. In Canada we get games on HNIC and TSN on national NHL contract and get regional games on Sportsnet and TSN2. WE don't get out of local maket games unless they are under the national contract with NHL.
The exception is we can get about half of the Hawks games on WGN as part of premium cable or satelite package. Last night we got the Bulls game rather then the Hawks.
There that should be as clear as mud but it is the best explanation I can offer. The blckouts of the Hawks games is by the NHL rules not the Hawks.
quit being a cheap ass and get Direct TV!! I watch any game/games I want. If you get the "ICE" package you can watch 4 games at the same time on the same screen!

Since: Sep 08

Hobart, IN

#18 Dec 4, 2008
Heck of a game..
I hate the Ducks..

The Nhl on the Fly guys were talkin Versteeg..Gushing actually...
Im not gonna add to the Versteeg for Calder talks cause its still way too early to tell but he does something special everytime you look up.
Pretty good for a guy that was earmarked for Rockford goin into camp.

I like how Coach Q put a big on each scoring line.
Oh and Buff sometimes meanders around but he was right where he was supposed to be on the game winner by Tazer..In front of the net taking up two Ducks defenders.

How great was Toews beating Pronger behind the net,scoring, and then having Prongs fall down comically..
Man I hate the Ducks

“COMMIT TO THE INDIAN”

Since: Oct 08

Naperville

#19 Dec 4, 2008
I was at the game last night and the Hawks were strong in te first period. Had a few good scoring opportunities, and just missed. The second period they looked flat. They were on their heels most of the period. Huet did not look that sharp and gave up a few rebounds. Defensemen were passing the pucks to dangerous areas and had a few clearing attempts kept in by the Ducks.

I was impressed with the play of Buff, very physical and stripped the puck away from the other team. Versteeg that kid is very good, and will only get better with time. Nice to see Havlat showed up there too.

It was wonderful to see them win the game. At times the crowd was booing them for poor play. However to win on Larmer night was huge, and it was classy for the Hawks to have a moment of silence for Pit. Lets keep it rolling, GO HAWKS
Shtugotz

Arlington Heights, IL

#20 Dec 4, 2008
Let's trade Havlay for a bucket of pucks....

Tallon suck....and so does Toes...

Huet is a has been. get rid of him too...

Hawks are not big enough blah blah blah....

Oh wait...... those were yesterdays posts. Sorry, I forgot to look at the calendar.
RamRod

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Dec 4, 2008
Leaves? Did somebody say something about leaves?

I swear, after a good old fashioned blow and some light sleet, those damn leaves are hanging on. Token relief in the form of a small branch, all leaves intact, fell across the sidewalk out front. It was more of mother nature doing "nah, nah, nah, nah, hey, hey, goodbye!"

Toews / Pronger thing all night long was pretty funny. Toews = young, energetic and on the come. Pronger = all the above (6 years ago).

rauno - You're right on Buff. I forgot about that, but, watching him without the puck he just seemed to be a toke away from the speed of the flow of the game. Sharp is ahead of the speed of flow. Toews, Versteeg and Kaner don't worry about the flow, just create opportunities for themselves and others at whatever speed is necessary when in the offensive end.

Fun pointing out the obvious, don't you find?

"TOK, D!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duncan Keith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Game Preview: Chicago Blackhawks to Take On Inj... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Reg 1
News The Most Disappointing Players on the Chicago B... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Reg 1
News Kane's 5th goal in 7 games helps Blackhawks win (Nov '14) Nov '14 Reg 1
News Who Must Step Up for the Chicago Blackhawks Aft... (Nov '14) Nov '14 B-Hawks Forever 1
News Chicago Blackhawks Must Stop Relying So Heavily... (May '14) May '14 Reg 1
News Seabrook gets 3-game suspension for hard hit (Apr '14) Apr '14 Reg 1
News Will Brent Seabrook's Olympic Snub Become a Pro... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Reg 1
More from around the web