Hawks end 5-game winless streak, beat Kings

Full story: Chicago Tribune

For one game, at least, everything was right in the Blackhawks ' world. Patrick Sharp and Martin Havlat were offensive forces, Brent Seabrook was hitting everything that moved and Nikolai Khabibulin was solid in goal.
Comments
21 - 40 of 40 Comments Last updated Mar 24, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rod from Tennessee

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Now that's more like it. Welcome back Patrick. Let's hope that game gets the Hawks on a bit of a roll. I'm sure no one wants the team limping into the playoffs.
Chico17

Eau Claire, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Keep the feet moving boys!
Section 313

North Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Oh YEAH! Sweet game. The energy was back at the UC yesterday. Great to see Sharp get right back at it. Nice goals, and that pass to Havlat had eyes! Talk about threading the needle.

Solid defense was just what the doctor ordered. Campbell has played well in the last 2 after having a down streak there for a little while.

Kane looked a little off, but nothing too terrible.

Buff, what can I say. I agree with USMCVET, that he doesn't quite seem to be playing the right role. The past couple games, I'll give him credit, the guy seems to be trying hard, but not doing the right things. He is trying to play a finesse game, when instead of trying to stickhandle through opponents, he should be just getting the puck in deep and playing a physical game. He's got the size and ability to be a dominant force out there, but either the Hawks aren't using him properly, or he just doesn't really get it.

“COMMIT TO THE INDIAN”

Since: Oct 08

Naperville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Section 313, and 319 are you guys going to be at Wed's game? If so BFM and I should be by the ATM outside of section 327-328 at 7:00 you guys should stop by and say Hi.

I was glad to not hear any real booing at the last 2 games. They have stepped up their game, sure they have a tough schedule, but that should make them even more ready for the playoffs.
deadboy

Warrenville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Question for salary cap experts.
Does the cap still count during the playoffs or are rosters expanded as the cap gets frozen? These guys arent playing for paychecks in the playoffs but glory and prestige.
my point being could we see Buff,Skille,Beach,maybe Aliu all on the playoff roster? Only if the cap isnt efffect?

Since: Mar 09

Plainfield

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Definitely a great game. Great to have Sharpie back and looking like he never missed a game.

The 'D' did great at keeping the shot totals down. Which even during their losing streak they've been good at that. We need Habby to return to his form from earlier in the season (same for Huet). They flat out won MANY games almost by themselves!

As far a Buff goes, I think they should return him to 'D'(full time). He was solid defensively, he moved the puck well, put up points and has that HUGE SHOT! For him to be effective at forward (at his size) he needs to play like: Thomas Holmstrom, Keith Tkachuk or Ryan Smyth. We know he doesn't have their offensive skills. Plus he doesn't want to plant himself in from of the net or lay people out (at forward). So get him out of that position, he's ineffective at that spot.
Tony

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

deadboy wrote:
Question for salary cap experts.
Does the cap still count during the playoffs or are rosters expanded as the cap gets frozen? These guys arent playing for paychecks in the playoffs but glory and prestige.
my point being could we see Buff,Skille,Beach,maybe Aliu all on the playoff roster? Only if the cap isnt efffect?
Their are no cap restrictions in the playoffs...I'm no expert but I read it somewhere...I guess I don't have that good of a memory either l-o-l.
Great White North Fan

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Deadboy - re the salary cap - I'm not an expert, but my understanding is they remain as during the regular season, and a team can't add last minute fill ins or add ons.
Tony

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Tim - Hockey Rules wrote:
They have a role for Big Buff, he just has not imbraced it yet. He was on the 4th line yesterday and when Eager gets back off of his suspension I think it is time to bench buff. He is not physical, and with the size of him he really needs to be. I just can't believe that he was a defenseman before.
I really don't think he's going to sit, Tim...It will be interesting to see who does sit when Eager gets back though...
BFM

Bartlett, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't think he's going to sit, Tim...It will be interesting to see who does sit when Eager gets back though...
I think Eager may sit when Eager gets back. He has shown flashes but too many hooking, holding and tripping penalties. Cheap stuff. Toughness? Yeah, he's tough, but I don't think he's scaring anybody. The Hawks brass seems to like Brouwer alot more than I do, so I don't think he's going anywhere. To me, if Buff won't park his ass in front of the net he's devalueing himself. I don't want him on the point. He doesn't make quick enough decisions and he's not that good a passer. I cringe when he gets the puck at the half-wall on the PP. What I, personally, would like to see from Buff 1.) in front of the net screening goalies and engaging a defenseman 2.) first man in on the forecheck punishing a defenseman 3.) in our end just be where your supposed to be and don't try anything fancy.
But that's just me.
Thin The Herd

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

BFM wrote:
<quoted text> I think Eager may sit when Eager gets back. He has shown flashes but too many hooking, holding and tripping penalties. Cheap stuff. Toughness? Yeah, he's tough, but I don't think he's scaring anybody. The Hawks brass seems to like Brouwer alot more than I do, so I don't think he's going anywhere. To me, if Buff won't park his **** in front of the net he's devalueing himself. I don't want him on the point. He doesn't make quick enough decisions and he's not that good a passer. I cringe when he gets the puck at the half-wall on the PP. What I, personally, would like to see from Buff 1.) in front of the net screening goalies and engaging a defenseman 2.) first man in on the forecheck punishing a defenseman 3.) in our end just be where your supposed to be and don't try anything fancy.
But that's just me.
Well, me too. L O L

As we've seen several times this season, Buff is effective when he does those three things, and he could be a sought after player if he would do them more often.

If he tries to be something he isn't, a finesse player, he's not going to come close to making the kind of impact, and hence money, that he could.
Tony

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

What's it gonna be from game to game, good Buff? or bad Buff?...I'm with BFM I guess...

“COMMIT TO THE INDIAN”

Since: Oct 08

Naperville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

when the playoffs start there is no Salary Cap. This past Saturday I went to watch the Hawks practice and it was interesting. Sopel was out on the ice before practice and he was skating and shooting the puck. He spent a good 45 minutes working on drills. Then when the Hawks were going to come out on the ice he went back in. He will be back when the playoffs start, they can't now they will be over the cap.

For Buff what bothers me is that he does not check anyone. When they are trying to get the puck away from a player on the other team they poke at it with their stick. Enough of that, check the guy, take him out of his skates and guess what the puck will be available. Buff could use his size but does not. And the other thing is he seems to just chug along like he is in slow motion and takes forever to get back into the play. He is reminding me of Koci after he got the crap kicked out of him and wouldn't want to fight. Sure Buff has his moments but they are few and far between. I have seen every other player hustle, like Burish he was on a mission the last 2 games. When they play hard they get great results. I just don't see that from Buff.
deadboy

Warrenville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Thanks Tony, Great White, and Tim for responding and clarifying about the post season cap rules.
Im still focused on the playoffs like the kids seem to be doing lately.
Even with the slow starts for some of these guy and others not playing well all year, this has been great for all of us. This team,the youngest in the NHL, has already set team records for win streaks,and should set the mark for road wins in a season.(any other records im forgetting?)
The Bolland 20 goal watch is on. Good to see Havlat and Sharp dont want Toews being the only 30 guy on the team.
Im not mentioning Buff anymore, but i think the Hawks staff liken Brouwer to a Hull or Robitaille in the future.
Those two had iffy skating skills but could score with ease. They were both smallish as well.
deadboy

Warrenville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Brouwer was called the best pure goal scorer at the last two camps. Maybe hell bust out next year and light it up like he did in the AHL. He sure does get alot of chances to score but just cant finish regularly. Which happens to almost all first year players anyway.
MI hawk fan

Howell, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Buff is the new Eric Daze....all sorts of potential...but probably will never try hard enough to be as good of a player as he could be.(give Daze the benefit that his back always seemed to be hurt, Buff at least is healthy as far as we know)

The Hawks are now 9-1 in their black jerseys.....I wish they'd wear them the rest of the season & thru the playoffs when they have the option.
Tony

Nobleton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Buff could only wish he were the new Eric Daze...
BFM

Redford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Hull or Robitaille?
MR KENNEDY

Rensselaer, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Is Buff healthy? I wonder,maybe some kid from Rockford needs brought in.Buff will be the first out of here after the season.
TOM COTNER

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

I'll get on that BUFF bandwagon as well. I don't get it, why the HAWK coaching doesn't demand that he screen the goalies whenever he's on the ice as a forward; he's brilliant in that role, but he usually gets to runnin' around and when he does that, he looks like CRAP.

I did think that as a defenseman on Sunday, he looked superior, like he was on some SUPER PILL or something.

It would behoove the HAWKS brass to get this kids head on straight, because if they think he's a lost cause, and trade him in the summer, bank it, his new team will GET IT RIGHT !!! And as usual, that'll come back to haunt us !!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duncan Keith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chicago Blackhawks Must Stop Relying So Heavily... May '14 Reg 1
Seabrook gets 3-game suspension for hard hit Apr '14 Reg 1
Will Brent Seabrook's Olympic Snub Become a Pro... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Reg 1
Men's locker-room no place for women says hocke... (May '13) Dec '13 DMAN 5
Chicago Blackhawks Trade Rumors- Moving Nick Le... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Steve O 2
Saad scores in shootout, Blackhawks beat Red Wings (Apr '13) Apr '13 kman581 1
Olczyk: 'I Would Be Surprised' If Hansen Wasn't... (Feb '13) Feb '13 abadapple 2
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Duncan Keith People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••