Hawks end 5-game winless streak, beat Kings

Full story: Chicago Tribune

For one game, at least, everything was right in the Blackhawks ' world. Patrick Sharp and Martin Havlat were offensive forces, Brent Seabrook was hitting everything that moved and Nikolai Khabibulin was solid in goal.
Comments
1 - 20 of 40 Comments Last updated Mar 24, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Section 319

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

The fun was back it the UC. Patrick Sharp makes all the difference in the world. At first we did ok without him, but ultimately we were 6-8-2 without him. We certainly came to miss our leading scorer and getting him back is like one heck of a trading deadline move.

And how bout that defense? I'd like to see more of Aaron Johnson.

Now, with Khabby and Pahlsson both regaining form, we've got our team. If we can stay healthy, I'm looking for the Hawks to go on a nice run. If we play our game, we can take SJ and NJ this week.

Let's Go Hawks!

“COMMIT TO THE INDIAN”

Since: Oct 08

Naperville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

I was at the game today and when they announced Sharps name the place went crazy. I will say that the entire team played very well today. I am still concerned about Buff, he just does not seem to hustle enough, and check enough. I will say that Seabrook is on a mission, he is banging everyone that he can. I was impressed with the physical play. Campbell has now had 2 games in a row that he is playing much better. They need to now make this the first win of many. 11 games to go and we need to finish the year strong.
paul

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

Sharp's second goal seems like he must have spent a lot of time in the pool room. I mean atwo bank shot off the boards and goal post. Darn near time we were getting a few bounces our way.
Seriously it was great to see him back and in form.HavLAT WAS OUTSTANDING AGAIN.Keith and Seabrook are a great pairing of d-men together and Campbell was on his game today. As the column saysit was December again. The Dawgs buried the Canucks last night so we are back in fourth again.
The only time I was worried today was during the last 3 minutes but the 2 EN goals and life can be beautiful. Hopefully the roll has started again at the most opportune time. GO HAWKS!!!!!
paul

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

Where is every one? Are all you guys at church giving thanks for today's win? If so say one for me!!!!!!!!!!
Section 319

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

One more thing. I'm no hockey guru, but with Sharp back, what is Q doing with our lines. Someone please explain:

Who's our top six and why aint' they on our top two lines? Take Toews and Bolland and, in any combination, put the following four wingers on their lines: Sharp, Kane, Havlat and Versteeg.

I know the argument and standard line for having larger, more physical players like Brouwer and Ladd playing with those skill guys, but they especially Brouwer) ain't delivering much of anything. Put Brouwer and Ladd with Pahlsson against opponent's top line. Why am I wrong?

And I'd like to see Buff on the point for the PP.
Thin The Herd

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

Talk about making those around you better, Sharpie sure did that.

Whether it was a boost in confidence or what, the team looked better, in control for most of the game. The PP needs to get more than 12.5% but otherwise no complaints at all.

Tough game coming up. We can also hope Vancouver cools down.
Thin The Herd

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

Section 319 wrote:
And I'd like to see Buff on the point for the PP.
I'd rather seen him in front of the net, but since he won't go there with any consistency, the point is a good spot for him.
USMCVet

Mount Prospect, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

It was the Sharp and Havlat show. Much needed win! It seems like Havlat and Sharp had great chemistry. I would like to see them stay on a line together with Ladd maybe. I definitely think that Kane and Toews need to stay together on a line. It seems like Kane can't score without Toews out there with him..
Kent

Lake Forest, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

Sharpie was awesome. Havlat awesome. come on studs, we need you now!(kaner and Toews)
deadboy

Naperville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

Sharp played some air hockey while he had some time off I see. One of the more exciting empty net goals Ive seen.
Seabrook nearly destroyed the Kings by himself today. Imagine if the only thing Buff did was flatten people. This team would suddenly seem bigger and more intimidating.
Anyone read Havlats lips after his first goal?
Coach Q has an interesting tie wardrobe.
calif4chicago

Ontario, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

Todays game was a good win, I'll feel better about the team if they can win the next three. It would be a great morale booster. Go Hawks
Tony

Nobleton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Great to get the win no matter who the opposition is/was...Sharks and Devils next it would be great to see the Hawks bring their A game the rest of the way. Would've been nice to see Khabby get the shutout. Sharp and Havlat were outstanding. How about the kid Hjarlmasson(spell?)? He seems to be getting better each time out, solid play on his part. Campbell seems to be coming out of his funk..Anyway keep it going boys!

GO HAWKS!
USMCVet

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Here is a question. I see a lot of posts ripping on Big Buff. Does anyone think that Big Buff is confused about his role on the team? I almost think he is. Some games he throws his body around, and others he tries to finesse the puck...
Coach Killer

Glenview, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Buff may simply be a square peg in a round hole on this team. I have no doubt that his role has been explained to him. For whatever reason he just doesn't execute. If it wasn't for his needed size he would have been benched long ago. Hopefully we'll see him become more agressive for the playoff run but I wouldn't count on it.

In the meantime yesterday was a great all around game as a team. Seabrook is absolutely crushing guys out there lately. Ladd too. And getting Sharp back in the line-up changes the dynamics of everything in a positive way. San Jose, NJ and Vancouver all come to town this week and each of those games will have playoff intensity.

I love hockey this time of year.
Tony

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

USMCVet:I just wish the Hawks would settle on a roll for Buff and leave him alone but then again he seems like the type of player that needs a push to get motivated...

“COMMIT TO THE INDIAN”

Since: Oct 08

Naperville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

They have a role for Big Buff, he just has not imbraced it yet. He was on the 4th line yesterday and when Eager gets back off of his suspension I think it is time to bench buff. He is not physical, and with the size of him he really needs to be. I just can't believe that he was a defenseman before.
RamRod

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

I wasn't going to, but, Buff needs some man-love. I saw Buff doing things the last couple of games that he hasn't done before.
He outskated the Kings forwards to the puck into their zone = speed.
He split the defense and hung on to the puck and, if memory serves, it led to a goal = agility.
He's too big to be quick AND elusive. Hee just seems to be able to "interfere" with the other teams offensive and defensive plans. I like him.
Hjarmallson is just playing hungry. He also plays within himself and himself ain't bad. He can't be a true rookie, because he makes some aggressive moves that rookies tend to avoid, on their first shifts.
Brian Campbell heard you guys talking. I isolated on Keith the whole game and he wasn't all that stellar, if you watched only him. So, maybe a little relief from the spotlight will be of help to Brian.

Am I crazy or is Eager suspended for the same incident as the BS interference penalty, wherein their shoulders hit first and the other guy flopped?

"They're OUR kids, damnit!"
Bryan

Evanston, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Great win. Anyone think Sharp was a little fired up yesterday?! Just the spark plug we needed.

I think the second kudos behind Sharp's play, is the play of the fill-in blueliners. Johnson and Hendry played masterfully, all things considered. Johnson hasn't played in about 2 months, and Hendry was at Rockford. They fill in, shut down a couple really good Kings players, and Nik only sees 16 shots.

Campbell strung two games together without blowing out in the neutral zone, fantastic!!

Having said all that, I'm not going to get ahead of myself, those were the Kings. This week....we face the likes of the Sharks, Devils, and Nucks. Which means, Nabokov, Brodeur, and Luongo. Let's hope Sharp in the lineup continues to bring the added offense, because we will be going up against the best keepers in the league this week.
Soxfan in NY

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Great win and great to see Sharpie back.
Indy Hawk Fan

Shelbyville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Now Let's Get On A Roll!!!!!!!!!!

My daughter and I were sitting in our car listening to the game after her basketball practice and it was great to hear the Hawks playing like they use to play. We knew things were going well because we could hear the crowd as soon as we turned on the game.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••