Fans tone down reaction to Hawks pres...

Fans tone down reaction to Hawks president

There are 16 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Fans tone down reaction to Hawks president. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

After Friday night's booing at Blackhawks Convention, John McDonough acknowledges firing GM an unpopular move 6:34 PM CDT, July 18, 2009 John McDonough was prepared for the chilly reception he got during the opening ceremonies of this weekend's Blackhawks Convention.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Hawks Fan

Michigan City, IN

#1 Jul 19, 2009
Hey John what sports career have you had. Congratulations you have now become the new Jerry Krause. You will be booed all season long.
MR KENNEDY

Rensselaer, IN

#2 Jul 19, 2009
I give Big Mac credit for getting in there and taking it like a man.This organization has been in the hole of he$$$ for so long tough choices need to be made.He has found out Blackhawk fans want to win now.I do.Tallon is as good as they come,he built this team from nothing and he should get credit for it.
Intheloop

Chicago, IL

#3 Jul 19, 2009
Hawks Fan wrote:
Hey John what sports career have you had. Congratulations you have now become the new Jerry Krause. You will be booed all season long.
Let's see. Krause won six titles in Chicago. If McDonough can do half as well, I'll take it. It took plenty of nerve to fire Tallon this close to the convention. That show you how monumental a blunder (s) Tallon made at the helm.
Rod from Tennessee

AOL

#4 Jul 19, 2009
I love a good PR spin and obviously McDonough is learning the ropes. I don't believe for a second that he was expecting the backlash he received. He was the golden boy coming over from the Cubs, and is learning firsthand that hockey and baseball are two different sports, with completely different type fan bases. Blackhawk fans have watched some bad hockey for quite awhile, and Tallon helped change that, and fans aren't all that happy about some guy who's going to come in and take over everything. He also got some of those boos for how he did Denis as well, i'd imagine.
Walter Butch Brzeski

AOL

#5 Jul 19, 2009
Memo to John 'Stonewall' Mc-Donough:

The reason the booing was subdued on Saturday and only one fan asked you about Dale Tallon was your ability to 'side-step' questions, not give specifics, and make the person asking a question forget what they were asking you by your repsonse.

Plus, most of the media has asked you for specifcs about the Tallon firing and they're still waiting for your answer.
Kevin

Solana Beach, CA

#6 Jul 19, 2009
McD definitely did a good job of getting fans in the seats and earning money for the organization.

Hopefully, we can now get the cup to reward the fans.

Otherwise, it's the Cubs model. A bunch of loyal fans who show up all the time, make a ton of money for the organization, but are never rewarded for their time and money investment.
Willie

United States

#7 Jul 19, 2009
Cubs fans know what blackhawks fans are finding out. Mcdunno is a shameless self promoter who has never won anything. Best day for Cubs was when he quit and went to blackhawks. He does know how to fill the seats but a lot of that is done by manipulating fans and by avoiding answering questions. The original snakeoil salesman. Watch your wallets!
Steve

Glencoe, IL

#8 Jul 19, 2009
I remember Hawks fans being upset that Savard was let go too. How did that work out for you?
Tallon is a great guy, but he hasn't won you anything. If Bowman has a tenth of his dad's hockey savvy, the Hawks will be hoisting a cup soon.
PuckerUp

Saint Charles, MO

#9 Jul 19, 2009
Its all business, Obviously John knows what he is doing, and in business, decisions have to be made for the better of the organization, along with risks. Removing Dale was a good move, fans seem to never realize the business side of things. Yeah Dale was a cool cat, but work ethic may be sub-par. I agree with letting Dale go, although I do think its a huge risk with Bowman....

“COMMIT TO THE INDIAN”

Since: Oct 08

Naperville

#10 Jul 19, 2009
I was at the convention along with BFM. We talked about the booing after the opening ceremony and I think that Mcd was not expecting the fans to boo. I can't say that I know that for sure but by the body language it looked like he was surprised. Convention was awesome, they did a great job, can't wait for the season to start
Matt

Chicago, IL

#11 Jul 19, 2009
Why do these articles keep crediting McDonough for helping turn the Hawks fortunes around? The credit goes to the team, assembled by Tallon and lead by Havlat, that began playing great and winning game after game. The credit also goes to Rocky for announcing that ALL games would be televised and of course, to the coach who was able to get the best out of everyone. The team's "fortunes" turned around on the eve of Rocky's announcement and continued with the team's wins.

Where was McDonough in any of this? Nowhere.

Fans are upset not only with McDonough's clear influence on the team's decision to offer Havlat only a one year, take it or leave it deal - an insult to the Hawks leading scorer, but also a sign of the change in the team's integrity. This became more apparent when McDonough fired Tallon as GM.

It still isn't clear why some players didn't receive their letters in time. It's doubtful that Tallon forgot to mail them and more likely happened as a result of a staffer's oversight or mistake. Of course, Tallon is too good a guy to nail someone publicly and he took responsibility. That's the sort of strength of character we expect from Tallon. McDonough is another matter, for we even believe him capable of misdirecting the letters in order to set up Tallon for a fall. McDonough's own co-workers don't like him and some fear him. Since when does a good boss inspire dedication and excellence with fear and a disingenuous smile?

Time will tell whether the team is able to continue to build on its strengths as it did last season. But one thing is for sure... if they do it will be in spite of McDonough's involvement, rather than because of it.
bugs

Chicago, IL

#12 Jul 20, 2009
Some of these new Hawks fans are absolutely ridiculous. The Hawks stunk for so long and now they're doing things right. They have the Bowman's running the show...you can't have better people running the organization. Some of you wanna boo McDonough? That's just stupid.
ILman

Belleville, IL

#13 Jul 20, 2009
MAtt,

It was John's influence to televise the games. It was John's influence to hire the new coach. Rocky wanted to bring the Blackhawks back to the fans, that's why he has hired John and John is coming through shaping the team to become the best it can.

I was at the convention as well, booing John was just stupid, since just last year he has done so much success with the hawks.

I agree with Bugs, booing John is flat out 'tarded.
Keith_Chicago

Las Vegas, NV

#14 Jul 21, 2009
Dale Tallon is still going to be involved with the Hawks he will be a seniour advisor so the Hawks have not lost him yet lets hope Hawks will do much better than last season when next season begin with some changed I can not wait for the season begin.

GO BLACKHAWKS.
Kevin

Chicago, IL

#15 Jul 25, 2009
ILman wrote:
MAtt,
It was John's influence to televise the games. It was John's influence to hire the new coach. Rocky wanted to bring the Blackhawks back to the fans, that's why he has hired John and John is coming through shaping the team to become the best it can.
I was at the convention as well, booing John was just stupid, since just last year he has done so much success with the hawks.
I agree with Bugs, booing John is flat out 'tarded.
Rocky announced back in October 2007 that he would put all games on TV. This was just 3 weeks after his father passed away and before McD came on board. And to credit McD with having brought back the fans isn't fair. When McD joined, Wirtz had increased the promo budget more than 300%, placed all games on TV and had a winning team. The fans were already excited about the season and the UC was already selling out. McD did use that HUGE new budget he was given to bring back Mikita, Hull, etc. and he did work out co-promo deals with other hometown teams, but this certainly would have happened without him, given the new money Rocky budgeted for promo.

And McD hasn't "shaped the team", other than to let Havlat go, fire Tallon and bring in Hossa. The team was winning, played its best season in 17 years and made it to the Western Conference Finals with Havlat and Tallon, so jury is still out on whether any of these things are going to be good for the team. I, for one, am not at all impressed with McD and think he has damaged the character and quality of the Hawks organization.
Kevin

Chicago, IL

#16 Jul 25, 2009
Keith_Chicago wrote:
Dale Tallon is still going to be involved with the Hawks he will be a seniour advisor so the Hawks have not lost him yet lets hope Hawks will do much better than last season when next season begin with some changed I can not wait for the season begin.
GO BLACKHAWKS.
You hope the Hawks do "much better"? They made it to the Western Conference finals and within a few games of the cup finals! How much better can they get, other than to win 4 more games and the cup?

And yes, Tallon is an advisor, but as we saw with the Hossa signing, he is no longer calling the shots. My guess is that McD wouldn't have even kept Tallon if he weren't under contract for another year. The Hawks HAD to keep him, but McD didn't want him in any position with real responsibility or authority. Senior Advisor is meaningless as a title.

I, too, can't wait for the season to start, but think we would be in better shape if we had Havlat, a player who clicked with the team exceptionally well and made all the other, younger, players play better and score more. Don't know how Hossa will compare. Hossa scored fewer points and had a lower +/- last season playing with a more experienced team. Not evidence of a trade-up for the Hawks and certainly Tallon gets the credit for putting together a stellar Hawks roster, all of whom had tremendous affection and respect for Tallon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duncan Keith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Game Preview: Chicago Blackhawks to Take On Inj... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Reg 1
News The Most Disappointing Players on the Chicago B... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Reg 1
News Kane's 5th goal in 7 games helps Blackhawks win (Nov '14) Nov '14 Reg 1
News Who Must Step Up for the Chicago Blackhawks Aft... (Nov '14) Nov '14 B-Hawks Forever 1
News Chicago Blackhawks Must Stop Relying So Heavily... (May '14) May '14 Reg 1
News Seabrook gets 3-game suspension for hard hit (Apr '14) Apr '14 Reg 1
News Will Brent Seabrook's Olympic Snub Become a Pro... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Reg 1
More from around the web