Darren Helm unlikely hero for Detroit...

Darren Helm unlikely hero for Detroit Red Wings

There are 11 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 27, 2009, titled Darren Helm unlikely hero for Detroit Red Wings. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The Red Wings knew who couldn't save them. Star players Pavel Datsyuk and Nicklas Lidstrom were bystanders because of untimely injuries.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Petey

Northbrook, IL

#1 May 27, 2009
Of all people to end the Hawk's season I NEVER thought it would be Darren Helm. It was a very unfortunate way to end the season. It would have much easier to take of the Redwings had manhandled the Hawks, but that goal was such a fluke, it hurts.

It's a shame this season ever had to end really. But then again, if someone told me back in October that the Hawks would make it all the way to the Western Conferences Finals, I never would have believed it. I thought this team was WAY too young. But, they proved me wrong and I am extremely glad for it.

We are extremely lucky to have Rocky Wirtz running the organization now. He has been like King Midas. Everything he has done for the Hawks has turned into gold. I admit, I was unsure when Savard was fired as coach back at the start of the year, but I was so relieved he stayed with the organization.

InsideChicagoSports.com has a very fascinating piece on Rocky as an owner and how he is laying out the PERFECT blueprint for Tom Ricketts. I hope he reads it...

http://insidechicagosports.com/2009/05/19/tom...
Original6

Savannah, GA

#2 May 28, 2009
Chicago played into Detroit's strength, depth. We don't have a superstar that we rely on for scoring. We get it from everyone. Don't feel bad that Helm ended your season. I thought both teams looked somewhat apprehensive. The hawks were outmatched and outplayed for the series. They are a good young team. I look forward to a rivalry again with the hawks. NOT nashville and columbus that the nhl is shoving down our throats.
Go wings beating the Cindy Crosby show.
mook

Commerce Township, MI

#3 May 28, 2009
I think the Blackhawks did a great job! They played the Red Wings team but that team is a machine. The names change but the results are the same - they just win. The Hawks are young, good team and as they get some playoff experience this will be an excellent rivalry. Good Job Blackhawks - nothing to hang your head about. I don't think the Penguin series will be as good
scooby

Lombard, IL

#4 May 28, 2009
Petey wrote:
Of all people to end the Hawk's season I NEVER thought it would be Darren Helm. It was a very unfortunate way to end the season. It would have much easier to take of the Redwings had manhandled the Hawks, but that goal was such a fluke, it hurts.
Better not let those cumstain wings fans see this post...theres no such thing as a fluke goal to them..nope...no such thing as a bad bounce off the boards that puts the puck in front of the net, nor a lucky break when a defenseman falls down resulting in a game winning 3 on 1 goal. Its all skill and domination according to them, I guess if they keep repaeating that to themselves, maybe they'll start believing it
Originalsixer

United States

#5 May 28, 2009
scooby wrote:
<quoted text>Better not let those cumstain wings fans see this post...theres no such thing as a fluke goal to them..nope...no such thing as a bad bounce off the boards that puts the puck in front of the net, nor a lucky break when a defenseman falls down resulting in a game winning 3 on 1 goal. Its all skill and domination according to them, I guess if they keep repaeating that to themselves, maybe they'll start believing it
Your Hawklets just lost a Playoff series final 4 games to 1. Yout team LOST 4 out of 5 games. That is ONLY a 20% winning percentage. That is all that matters. It means the good team moves on and the losers suck sour grapes of which you are the absolute Chumpion!
scooby

Lombard, IL

#6 May 29, 2009
Originalsixer wrote:
<quoted text>
Your Hawklets just lost a Playoff series final 4 games to 1. Yout team LOST 4 out of 5 games. That is ONLY a 20% winning percentage. That is all that matters. It means the good team moves on and the losers suck sour grapes of which you are the absolute Chumpion!
Heres the thing genius...I didnt lose anything...the hockey team did...see, my self worth isnt tied up in how a bunch of millionaires perform, guys who wouldnt give me a second glace on the street. I know I have nothing in common with them and vice versa. Seems thats all you wings fans do though....keep calling them "we" like you play for the team.So continue to tie every ounce of your being into a hockey team, just keeps making you look more pathetic than you already are. And for gods sake, as you've stated so many times already, the series is over, isnt it about time to stop perusing an out of town newspapers forums??
mook

Commerce Township, MI

#7 May 29, 2009
Folks, take a breath - it's sports - aka competitve entertainment. It's like Leno vs. Letterman on skates.I'm from Detroit and like the Red Wings. I also like Chicago and Da' Bears and the Hawks and who doesn't like the Cubs? And. your right, Scooby, most of these millionares wouldn't give us the time of day but we go watch them and support the effort and identify with them because they carry the name of the city we are closest to. It's an outlet for all the days' frustrations - just like going to the movies. The Red Wing fans are no different than the Hawks fans or the Bears fans or the Lions' fans-(gonna hate to see that coming). Point is enjoy the sport - you can live and die with a team if you want but we all need to be civil to each other - even to the Originalsixer who doesn't live that far from me. Have a good day .
Originalsixer

United States

#8 May 29, 2009
mook wrote:
Folks, take a breath - it's sports - aka competitve entertainment. It's like Leno vs. Letterman on skates.I'm from Detroit and like the Red Wings. I also like Chicago and Da' Bears and the Hawks and who doesn't like the Cubs? And. your right, Scooby, most of these millionares wouldn't give us the time of day but we go watch them and support the effort and identify with them because they carry the name of the city we are closest to. It's an outlet for all the days' frustrations - just like going to the movies. The Red Wing fans are no different than the Hawks fans or the Bears fans or the Lions' fans-(gonna hate to see that coming). Point is enjoy the sport - you can live and die with a team if you want but we all need to be civil to each other - even to the Originalsixer who doesn't live that far from me. Have a good day .
Mook- I fully agree with your assessment of both sports and being civil.I apologise if the acidity of my above comment was too harsh for you. Throughout the Wings/Blackhawk series, there is a strong history on the with this scooby person not merely trash talking the Wings but totally dumping on both the ciry of Detroit as well as the good people that live in the Metropolis of Detroit. He's like a child who has to be put in his place far too often. He has even trashed some fellow Hawk fans who may have had an opposing position than his. When he is, he will put his tail between his legs as he attempted to do above.
Chirping between fans of opposing teams, like the sports themselves, can be entertaining as well as therapeutic. It can also get all too nasty when people get off the subject of the sport. Many of us on both sides have tried to keep this talk to hockey only. Scooby has been one of the worst offenders.
scooby

Lombard, IL

#9 May 29, 2009
Originalsixer wrote:
<quoted text>
Mook- I fully agree with your assessment of both sports and being civil.I apologise if the acidity of my above comment was too harsh for you. Throughout the Wings/Blackhawk series, there is a strong history on the with this scooby person not merely trash talking the Wings but totally dumping on both the ciry of Detroit as well as the good people that live in the Metropolis of Detroit. He's like a child who has to be put in his place far too often. He has even trashed some fellow Hawk fans who may have had an opposing position than his. When he is, he will put his tail between his legs as he attempted to do above.
Chirping between fans of opposing teams, like the sports themselves, can be entertaining as well as therapeutic. It can also get all too nasty when people get off the subject of the sport. Many of us on both sides have tried to keep this talk to hockey only. Scooby has been one of the worst offenders.
Actually I havent bashed your pathetic little city at all..... just the fact that most of you boneheads think that this was just a runaway series victory for your skirt and shield bunch of eurotrash team. Your refusal to acknowledge that 3 games went into overtime..all being decided by a lucky break one way or another, where skill had very little to do with the goals that were scored. Yet you and most of the other douchestains that posted on here act like every game was decided by 5 goals.Yea.. if the wings are supposed to be that much better ( according to you imbeciles anyway) there should have been zero overtime games.....series shouldnt have even been close. But I dont expect you to see that..its far far beyond your comprehension.
scooby

Lombard, IL

#10 May 29, 2009
Originalsixer wrote:
<quoted text>
Throughout the Wings/Blackhawk Many of us on both sides have tried to keep this talk to hockey only. Scooby has been one of the worst offenders.
OH PLEASE....most of you azholes were just trying to keep the talk to civil hockey conversation?? from before Game 1 and throughout it was just one hawks suck post after the other...talk about revisionist history...JFC...and all you wanted to do all along was have just some good spirited hockey talk.....ffs..,you do realize other people can go back and read the posts that you wastes of space put up dont you?? the poor innocent "the hawks fans started it first" little babies you are...and who are the ones that
started on a forum that doesnt even involve your citys newspaper?? series is over...your great team won..isnt it about time that you move along little girl??
Originalsixer

United States

#11 May 29, 2009
scooby wrote:
<quoted text>OH PLEASE....most of you azholes were just trying to keep the talk to civil hockey conversation?? from before Game 1 and throughout it was just one hawks suck post after the other...talk about revisionist history...JFC...and all you wanted to do all along was have just some good spirited hockey talk.....ffs..,you do realize other people can go back and read the posts that you wastes of space put up dont you?? the poor innocent "the hawks fans started it first" little babies you are...and who are the ones that
started on a forum that doesnt even involve your citys newspaper?? series is over...your great team won..isnt it about time that you move along little girl??
Just lovin given you the "face washing" you deserve, junior. A bit excited, eh? Tell me Mr. Wonderful, Why are you dissing Paul on the other siTes. He's been the Hawks best and most intellegent fan of all of you and he doesn't even live in Chicago. He loves the Hawks and really knows his hockey. He's Canadian! You....like your team.... are a loser!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darren Helm Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Players worry if Winter Classic is cut, season ... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Jim beam 1
News Wings place Holmstrom on IR (Dec '11) Dec '11 Gordie Howe is God 1
News Red Wings blank fading Blue Jackets | The Colum... (Mar '11) Mar '11 harvey 5
News Red Wings blank fading Blue Jackets | BlueJacke... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Love Jackets 4
News Without stars, other Red Wings pick up slack (Nov '09) Nov '09 Michigan 1
News Aaron Portzline looks ahead: Detroit (Jun '09) Jun '09 Scootie Penn 2
News Penguins' Fleury ices Red Wings (Jun '09) Jun '09 Lets go Pens 1
More from around the web