Panthers could only afford modest moves

Panthers could only afford modest moves

There are 20 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Feb 26, 2008, titled Panthers could only afford modest moves. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Panthers general manager Jacques Martin said defenseman Brian Campbell is a player the Panthers wanted to acquire, and he spoke with Buffalo general manager Darcy Regier before the Sabres traded Campbell to San ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Louie

Vero Beach, FL

#1 Feb 26, 2008
Trading Salei is a mistake. He's a good defenseman. Bad move.
David Booth

Richardson, TX

#2 Feb 26, 2008
I sure thought I played well enough to be traded... why am I still here? I want to win!
Derek

New Orleans, LA

#3 Feb 26, 2008
I think it's good the team didn't make any major trades at the deadline. They've got a good mix, I just think everyone's in a bit of shock after the Zednik injury. They, and Zednik, were playing their best hockey in a long time before then, they've just got to get back on track. I would like to see Matthias brought back up and given a shot to contribute. He looked good to me in his brief stint earlier this year.
maurice richard

AOL

#4 Feb 26, 2008
what's the big deal, the panthers won more games than the dolphins.
there is ALWAYS next year.
Panthers Rock

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#5 Feb 26, 2008
Louie wrote:
Trading Salei is a mistake. He's a good defenseman. Bad move.
Are you kidding me? Slow, mistakes abound. What player are you watching?
cement legs

West Palm Beach, FL

#6 Feb 26, 2008
what's the matter? couldn't trade for randy moeller? he's got to be old and slow enough by now to make this team of nobodys, never-weres and never-will-bes...3 cheers for poor ownership and vision-less management...get those early t-times ready
Roland Nadont

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Feb 26, 2008
Man oh man, this team is killing me! We should of gone out and got Hossa for Bo, but noooo we get 3 guys no one even knows, and this is going to help our push to the playoffs? I'm done, call Kathy.
FIRE MARTIN

Tucson, AZ

#8 Feb 26, 2008
Roland Nadont wrote:
Man oh man, this team is killing me! We should of gone out and got Hossa for Bo, but noooo we get 3 guys no one even knows, and this is going to help our push to the playoffs? I'm done, call Kathy.
Hossa is unrestricted after the season, Cohen's too cheap and wouldn't sign him, just like he wouldn't sign Drury, Gomez, Briere or anyone else who is worth it as an UFA, we'll see if he can even sign Bowmeester for what his price is going to be (who is a Restricted Free Agent).. the problem isn't the players.. it's the coach and the owner, in the article Martin says "If we can get the best out of our best players"... he's a moron, If HE can get the best out of them, and he can't, because he is and has been innefective. The trades were non- trades, they don't want to pay Salei's salary, who is old and slow and should have never been signed by Cancer Keenan, there's no commitment to win, and the fact that they are still talking playoffs if a joke, and an insult to their fans...
wise

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Feb 26, 2008
stick to the plan jacques. don't listen to the fans need for instant gratification. every year for the past ten years has been the same - cry about the season, fire everyone, restart. groundhog day of mediocrity. in order to get out of this, continuity is key. stick to your guns jacques.
Not Sure

Cottage Grove, MN

#10 Feb 26, 2008
Pathetic moves to try and fool people into purchasing tickets; DON'T FALL FOR IT; THIS ORGANIZATION IS IN COMPLETE DISARRAY!
wise

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Feb 26, 2008
only 1 team wins the cup. one. so that means that 99% of the moves made today were completely worthless. honestly only three or four teams have a legitimate shot of winning the cup. the rest are just making moves to feed the angry mob, and brainless moves will perpetuate the mediocrity of their teams.
Blockbuster Trade-Not

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#12 Feb 26, 2008
Perhaps the Panthers should have traded Phoenix for Shaq. He's pretty much slow enough the make the team and his puck handling skills are likely better than Salei's are. Which playoffs is Martin planning to make?
PantherMan

Miami, FL

#13 Feb 27, 2008
They wont lpay tongith vs. the leafs, but they will against Minn.
RED BARON

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#14 Feb 27, 2008
"Our goal, our plan, hasn't changed. For us, it's to develop a Florida Panthers team that's going to challenge for the Stanley Cup down the road." said Martin

What's down the road... 2025? Sheesh this guy is a moron. George Bush could coach this team better.
RED BARON

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Feb 27, 2008
wise wrote:
only 1 team wins the cup. one. so that means that 99% of the moves made today were completely worthless. honestly only three or four teams have a legitimate shot of winning the cup. the rest are just making moves to feed the angry mob, and brainless moves will perpetuate the mediocrity of their teams.
Who said anything about winning the Stanley Cup? For this team, just MAKING playoffs IS like winning the Cup. It's something that only happens in a decade if you are really lucky.
Hockey24

Vero Beach, FL

#16 Feb 27, 2008
Panthers Rock wrote:
<quoted text>Are you kidding me? Slow, mistakes abound. What player are you watching?
That would be # 24, Ruslan Salei, a great hockey player. You were probably watching roller hockey which is why you know nothing of how excellent Salei is in the NHL.
Wounded Panther

United States

#18 Feb 27, 2008
wise wrote:
stick to the plan jacques. don't listen to the fans need for instant gratification. every year for the past ten years has been the same - cry about the season, fire everyone, restart. groundhog day of mediocrity. in order to get out of this, continuity is key. stick to your guns jacques.
Only someone from Philadelphia would have the caj-ones to insinuate that waiting 10 years equates to instant gratification.

Go eat a greasy cheesesteak, you toad.
steve montador

Boca Raton, FL

#19 Feb 27, 2008
John Kilger took a leave of absence from the team? Not even a Chris Well's admirer wants to play for us... calgary just HAD to trade me here... damn!
Steve Montador

Boca Raton, FL

#20 Feb 27, 2008
witrytomakesense wrote:
<quoted text>
Salei played most games liked a tired overweight old man, he will not be missed.
Man, I played with him back on D a few times, the man has cheetos under his helmet. Oh shit, the Leafs just tied this game, guess I better put my iphone away...
Cement Head

Miami, FL

#21 Feb 28, 2008
cement legs wrote:
what's the matter? couldn't trade for randy moeller? he's got to be old and slow enough by now to make this team of nobodys, never-weres and never-will-bes...3 cheers for poor ownership and vision-less management...get those early t-times ready
Hey Cement Legs, I'm Cement Head..... call me at the Panthers if you want to get some tickets!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brian Campbell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bob Hunter commentary: Jackets need Carter to g... (Jun '11) Jun '11 on the road 15
News Bob Hunter commentary: Jackets need Carter to g... (Jun '11) Jun '11 JRN 10
News Blue Jackets notebook: Draft pick used to watch... (Jun '11) Jun '11 DfromBG 1
News Campbell: a We Just Feel More Comfortable In Ou... (Jan '11) Jan '11 chiboy 1
News Chicago Blackhawks To Match Offer Sheet For Nik... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Go Hawks 1
News Dale Tallon, Chicago Blackhawks Fans Thank You ... (May '10) May '10 DEV STARR 2
News Sharp Scores 2 As Blackhawks Tie Series At 2-2 ... (Apr '10) Apr '10 McDonald 1
More from around the web