Sabres Defenseman Brian Campbell Trad...

Sabres Defenseman Brian Campbell Traded to San Jose Sharks

There are 25 comments on the WIVB Buffalo story from Feb 26, 2008, titled Sabres Defenseman Brian Campbell Traded to San Jose Sharks. In it, WIVB Buffalo reports that:

Campbell is headed to the San Jose Sharks. News 4's Robin Adams is at the HSBC Arena with the story.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WIVB Buffalo.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Kobay Gary

Buffalo, NY

#1 Feb 26, 2008
I can't feel bad for Campbell or say that I'm sad to see him go. He did this to himself - so I don't buy the emotional departure. If he really wanted to stay he would have signed the deal. So bye-bye Soupy, you won't be missed and you will be booed.
Heather

Ogunquit, ME

#2 Feb 26, 2008
Darcy Regier is a horrible gm
the sabres have lost three of the best players because of him; Briere,Drury and Campbell. he has to go. he just doesnt work well with the nhl any more and is ruining the sabres. i mean come on campbell wanted to STAY!
Frank in Baltimore

Gaithersburg, MD

#3 Feb 26, 2008
So very disapointed to see him go. I would have hoped they could have worked out a deal.Couldn't they meet in the middle and have a 5 year deal for the same money? What is going to happen when Miller's contract is up? When are we the sabres fans going to be rewarded for our loyality? Will that ever happen?
Greg in Jamestown

Jamestown, NY

#4 Feb 26, 2008
This is another example of a Buffalo sports team being unwilling to step up to try and compete. They are hiding behind the "small market" excuse and not being able to pay the salaries the sport has deemed fair. Drury and Briere didnt want to stay in Buffalo but Brian Campbell DID and would have been worth every penny they should have paid him. Not only for the success of the team but as a demonstration to the loyal fans that the organization wants to win. Shame on you Sabre's. Best of luck Soupy! We'll miss you!
Realist

Jamestown, NY

#5 Feb 26, 2008
Kobay, are you serious? Obviously you are not sucessful at anything in life. If you were you'd realize that being the best at what you do (for a living) should afford you with financial rewards equivilent with the top of your field. Why do you think he has played a dangerous physical professional sport his entire life? To accept mediocrocy(no, he's a WINNER) and a lower salary to have the right to play for the Sabre's. Get real, professional sports teams MUST spend $$ to attract talent and compete. Thats the nature of business not just sports.
Jeanette

Buffalo, NY

#6 Feb 26, 2008
I think it's absolutely ridiculous for the management to trade him. Clearly he didn't want to go, and now he's on the other side of the country. Thanks NHL management, he wasn't even asking for money, he obviously loved his job HERE and not ANYWHERE ELSE. I'm really beginning to hate the NHL and the Sabres for that matter. I could care less if Ryan Miller wants more money or not, because the goalie is only as good as the DEFENSE. How many more wingmen would you like us to have? It should be EVEN. We've lost many great players in the matter of months. What about Drury, Briere, Biron? Think first before you let what used to be the #1 team go last. This is absolutely ridiculous, I know I'm not the only one who is outraged over this. I think it's up to the player if they want to leave or stay, because it's their talent being used on the ice.
george clarence

AOL

#7 Feb 26, 2008
we the fans find the dr.guilty of maqlpractice, two last year and todays trade its time for mr. g to can him
Kobay Gary

Buffalo, NY

#8 Feb 26, 2008
Realist wrote:
Kobay, are you serious? Obviously you are not sucessful at anything in life. If you were you'd realize that being the best at what you do (for a living) should afford you with financial rewards equivilent with the top of your field. Why do you think he has played a dangerous physical professional sport his entire life? To accept mediocrocy(no, he's a WINNER) and a lower salary to have the right to play for the Sabre's. Get real, professional sports teams MUST spend $$ to attract talent and compete. Thats the nature of business not just sports.
Whoah there "Realist" - come back to the real world. Nobody is worth that kind of $$. Unlike you, I don't measure success by how much $$ I make. Don't make assumptions - you will look like an idiot - oops too late.
Tom M

United States

#9 Feb 26, 2008
I think that the trade was a stupid idea. I have been a sabres fan for my whole life and i have to say Campbell was one of the best that i have seen go into buffalo between 1993 till 2008.
Disappointed Sabres fan

Charlotte, NC

#10 Feb 26, 2008
THe Sabres have yet again managed to disappoint the loyal fans - how much more can we take before we stop giving these idiots money!!
Patrick

Tonawanda, NY

#11 Feb 26, 2008
I think the Campbell trade was a decision that Regier had to make and if they kept Campbell, He probably would of left during the offseason because the contract could not meet his expectations. He was a good player for us but to pay over 5 million for him to me is quite too much to give. In return to this trade, we also get a 1st round draft pick that could help us in the future. I respect the decision and Campbell as well and I hope he has a good career in San Jose.
Justin Currie

United States

#12 Feb 26, 2008
I think what buffalo did was dumb. They should have made a deal with him earlier in the year when he wanted to make a deal. Buffalo needs to fire Quinn and Darcy Regier. Good luck to Campbell in San Jose.
John

Niagara Falls, NY

#13 Feb 26, 2008
Sad day. I felt bad for the guy... you cannot fake that emotion. Maybe he figured that they would give him the years he wanted, but it didn't happen.

I don't blame either side, this is just the way it is going to be from now on with the NHL's new CBA.

One thing that I am getting tired of, just as a fan... seems that every time a player gets good, on the bus he goes. The only god news with this lose is that at least we got something for it.
Bella

Wells, ME

#14 Feb 26, 2008
I am extremely disappointed with this. I thought that our management would pull through for us, the fans and for the team, and not let us down again like they did over the summer with the loss of Briere and Drury. All of the Sabres fans put their faith in the management and the actions they took were like a slap in the face not only to Campbell but also all of the Sabres fans who wanted him to stay here. He loved it here obviously. He was choked up to go. He didn't want to go for petes sake. I know it's a "business" but how heartless can you be? There are so many fans who are offended and disappointed in the management that it's possible the team could suffer. It's the fans who line your pockets with green management, don't you think you should at least consider peoples feelings and not just how much money you can make off somebody? All the true fans supported the team even after the loss of the co-captains. But now, with the loss of our best defenseman, do you truly expect fans to be as excited about the game? One of the best thing about the Sabres is the fans and the support they give the team. Already there are talks about boycotting the Sabres and anything to do with the NHL. If people are reacting this strongly to the loss of Campbell, even more than the loss of Briere and Drury, doesn't that say something? Doesn't that say how the management doesn't have consideration for the ones who line their pockets? I've been a loyal Sabres fan all my life but this has just disgusted me. If I saw Darcy on the street I would walk up to him and just slap him in the face. Campbell I hope by chance you read this. Buffalo still loves you. And we'll miss you. Best of luck in San Jose, they now have an amazing defenseman to help them.
PAT G

Rochester, NY

#15 Feb 26, 2008
The Buffalo Sabres management team (or lack of) needs to be traded!!
Brian Campbell ranks very near the top as one of the best defensemen the Sabres have ever had, kind of disappointed to see him go, but money is the driving force these days...there is no loyalty anymore......in all aspects of life.
Tom 58

United States

#16 Feb 26, 2008
Kobay Gary wrote:
I can't feel bad for Campbell or say that I'm sad to see him go. He did this to himself - so I don't buy the emotional departure. If he really wanted to stay he would have signed the deal. So bye-bye Soupy, you won't be missed and you will be booed.
Another guy that has NO idea what he is talking about all he wanted was a long tem deal not too much to ask the Sabres screwed up again the HSBC will be empty next year unless they start signing our players
Steven Medina

Buffalo, NY

#17 Feb 26, 2008
Campbell was a great player no doubt but the trade was a real good deal and i think if the team can focus on transitioninhg the new guy and the defenseman who will take his place this could work out for us.
Bob

Salamanca, NY

#18 Feb 26, 2008
We believe this is the greatest lost to the Buffalo Sabres and their fans. Campbell was a great defenseman, and his ability to play more ice time will be greatly missed. They need good defensemen added to the team, not taken away. We'll feel his loss for a long time. When will Darcy Regier and his co-horts wake up!
Mike Schultz

Windham, ME

#19 Feb 26, 2008
I don't think that this was a very good move, We have lost most all of our veteran players already, we need veterans to help mold the rookies. I think that the money that the team MIGHT save will not be worth it.
John S

Buffalo, NY

#20 Feb 26, 2008
Like I Said On WGR Today The Sabres Deal Away All There Assets Jay Mckee, Pat LaFontain, Chris Drury Just To Name A Few Darcy Likes To Play A Wait And Bait Game Oh We Dont Have The Money But We Do To Spend It on Vanek What Happens In July With Big Bears Contract Ending We Gonna Get Rid Of Him Like Zubrus Last Year Oh The Team Will Prosper Within The Next 3-5 Years We Wanted The Cup Last Year Not In 3-5 Years Buffalo Will Never See Any Sort Of Trophy Not Because Of The Players But Because Of People Like Ralph (Money Bags) Wilson And Darcy (I Don't Know What 2 Do) Regier Hey I Hope Campbell Does Great In San Jose And Gets All He Deserves Because If You Snooze You Lose.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brian Campbell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bob Hunter commentary: Jackets need Carter to g... (Jun '11) Jun '11 on the road 15
News Bob Hunter commentary: Jackets need Carter to g... (Jun '11) Jun '11 JRN 10
News Blue Jackets notebook: Draft pick used to watch... (Jun '11) Jun '11 DfromBG 1
News Campbell: a We Just Feel More Comfortable In Ou... (Jan '11) Jan '11 chiboy 1
News Chicago Blackhawks To Match Offer Sheet For Nik... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Go Hawks 1
News Dale Tallon, Chicago Blackhawks Fans Thank You ... (May '10) May '10 DEV STARR 2
News Sharp Scores 2 As Blackhawks Tie Series At 2-2 ... (Apr '10) Apr '10 McDonald 1
More from around the web