Buffalo Sabres Make Big Trade

Buffalo Sabres Make Big Trade

There are 20 comments on the WIVB Buffalo story from Feb 27, 2008, titled Buffalo Sabres Make Big Trade. In it, WIVB Buffalo reports that:

The newest addition to the team is waking up for the first time Wednesday morning a Buffalo Sabre, and it won't be long before fans get a chance to see him in action.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WIVB Buffalo.

Kevin

Buffalo, NY

#1 Feb 27, 2008
I believe that the Buffalo Sabres have become the breeding ground for developing NHL quality players. When do we start to look to the future and keep these great players. I mean "Soupy" come on, a long term contract for a player like this? To many fans a NO brainer! Just another star gone from Buffalo!!! Here come the San Hose Sharks Jersey's. Think it is time for new thinking which means new management!
Shady

Sardinia, NY

#2 Feb 27, 2008
Good Luck Campbell!
Nick

AOL

#3 Feb 27, 2008
D. Regier stated that this trade was a result of a failed ability to get him a new contract. Lets see now,
C. Drury, D. Briere, and now Campbell... It appears that Regier may be the failure in all these cases. Well I guess with the millions of dollars he saved for the owner, our ticket prices will go down, because the team certainly is.
Ferrocios

Lancaster, NY

#4 Feb 27, 2008
So long to the red hair, and the ego. He's a good defenseman but $5.75 million p/year for seven years? Way overrated for that kind of money. This is actually one move Regier did that makes sense. Let's see what the new kids got in Ruff's offense.
Pete from Buffalo

Buffalo, NY

#5 Feb 27, 2008
6 million a year for 3 years = 18 million..how many people who have to fork out $100 and more a game to watch these overpaid babies have a chance of making that in a lifetime..good riddance..and for all of the fans who loathe the players we lost over the past 2 years or so...No takers for Jay McKee who has been a bust in St Louis...Drury and Briere not all stars and both minus players...jp dumont -role player who is on a team going no where.
Smalls

United States

#6 Feb 27, 2008
It is just the typical Buffalo problem that plagues this city and it's sports teams.....we don't have enough money. And that is why we loose all the good young talent. It hurts to say, but its true.
RAY A TAX PAYER

Buffalo, NY

#7 Feb 27, 2008
LET'S QUIT WHINING & BE THANKFUL WE HAVE A TEAM HERE! DOES IT AFFECT YOUR PAY CHECK? JUST ENJOY THE TEAM!!! HE WASN'T WORTH THE MONEY ANYWAY. WHAT PLAYER IS?
iris

Buffalo, NY

#8 Feb 27, 2008
BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!! Trading Campbell. By far one of the best defenseman we've ever had and to lose him over not adding 2 extra years on his contract.INSANE.He will be greatly missed here in Buffalo. To Brian, i wish you the best of luck. You will always have a huge fan in me. I will proudly wear your new jersey when it comes out, no matter what team you play for.
True Sabre Fan

Buffalo, NY

#9 Feb 27, 2008
Lets go Sabres! I trust the management of this team. I will be a fan always no matter what. It's just a bonus when they do well, and make it to the playoffs! I will miss Soupy but I am ready for the new guy to show us what he's got. Lets give him some time though. He is coming from the West and things are different. GO SABRES!! I BELIEVE!!!
Greg

Sabattus, ME

#10 Feb 27, 2008
It is a great trade! Would you rather sign Campbell and lose Miller in a few seasons, or lose Campbell and sign Miller long term? We got a great young player in return also and a 1st round pick. See ya Campbell enjoy the smog and earthquakes! Good job Darcey sending him out west appreciate it!
John

Marilla, NY

#11 Feb 27, 2008
I think it was the best move for the team. I don't think Buffalo had the budget for Campbell's contract renewal.
John

Buffalo, NY

#12 Feb 27, 2008
I don't understand why people would boo the ex Sabres. At least not Danie, Dru and Soupy. They had a chance to make more money elswhere and I don't know of anyone who would refuse that opportunity. They truly did want to stay but unfortunately the Sabres owmership could not or would not match the value that other teams placed on them. Come on. These players are a class act and deserve the respect of the fans. How many others have left WNY for greener pastures? I wish them well, except when they play against Buffalo. I appreciate all the effort they put forth while here. Thanks, guys.
Ray

Buffalo, NY

#13 Feb 27, 2008
In Sept or Oct, Campbell wanted a 5 million/year deal for 5 years, the Sabres offered him 5 mill/year for 6 years in Jan and he turned it down. Why was it good enough in the fall but not in January?
Jerry

AOL

#14 Feb 27, 2008
He is a good player, but like so many GREED takes over...How many of us will ever earn Five Million in our lives let alone that much for a year doing what they enjoy.
If he truly loved the sport and the city 5.75 million a year for 3 years is certainly not chump change... An he surley could have lived a very comfortable life much better than the fans that pay the Salaries
Ferrocios

Lancaster, NY

#15 Feb 27, 2008
Yeah what got me the most is when Campbell said after Zednick got hurt, it got him thinking about his future in case anything was to happen, um, let me see $6 million x 3 years = $18 million. The average median income in Buffalo is around $25,000 p/year. Tell me you couldn't live off of $18 million for the rest of your life. GREED GREED. If he loved Buffalo so much he would have stayed the three years, instead he wants a long term contract so that if he does have a career ending injury, it's GUARANTEED MONEY, not like the NFL. If he is hurt and out for the rest of his career, he will still collect his $6 million per year and we will certainly be hurting for many years financially. We certainly can't take that kind of risk for any player except maybe a goalie. For you morons who still think it's a bad move, this $6 million per year what of put us in a rough spot to resign Miller. It's the nature of the business. Your not even going to realize he's even gone.
Loyal Fan

Buffalo, NY

#16 Feb 27, 2008
Campbell says he wanted to stay in Buffalo. Well how about accepting the $18 million you were offered? I dont have any pity on people that make millions of dollars for playing games while the majority of us work 40 hours a week for a few hundred dollars. Spoiled rotten athletes want more years, more money, more more more. I wish I could make in my lifetime what they make in 6 months. Must be tough to be 20 some years old and only have a few million dollars in the bank.
jimbo

Wallingford, CT

#17 Feb 27, 2008
thanks Campball,good luck,hello steve,
get your skates on.Away we go.........
Sabres Fan

Moultonborough, NH

#18 Feb 28, 2008
The Buffalo Sabres have become the NHL's farm team, we aquire the young, great talent, we turn them into stars, and then we let them go. I wish Campbell chose to stay with us, but I'm so used to seeing our players wearing visitors jerseys.
rudy

Lockport, NY

#19 Mar 3, 2008
Although i'm not a Sabres fan, i was'nt surprised by the trade. I've been in buffalo 5 years, and a hockey fan since the early 90's. what i will say is the Sports franchises here(the sabres) in particular, never want to make a long time committment. Yet,they say they want to win. Can you blame: Satan,zhitnik,Barnes,brown,pec a,drury, briere,grier, and now campbell? They want to win. Do you?
kevin from Irving

Norristown, PA

#20 Mar 3, 2008
WHO CARES!!!! This is just a sport and people get WAY too involved.........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brian Campbell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bob Hunter commentary: Jackets need Carter to g... (Jun '11) Jun '11 on the road 15
News Bob Hunter commentary: Jackets need Carter to g... (Jun '11) Jun '11 JRN 10
News Blue Jackets notebook: Draft pick used to watch... (Jun '11) Jun '11 DfromBG 1
News Campbell: a We Just Feel More Comfortable In Ou... (Jan '11) Jan '11 chiboy 1
News Chicago Blackhawks To Match Offer Sheet For Nik... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Go Hawks 1
News Dale Tallon, Chicago Blackhawks Fans Thank You ... (May '10) May '10 DEV STARR 2
News Sharp Scores 2 As Blackhawks Tie Series At 2-2 ... (Apr '10) Apr '10 McDonald 1
More from around the web