Red Wings make Blackhawks pay for mis...

Red Wings make Blackhawks pay for mistakes

There are 48 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 17, 2009, titled Red Wings make Blackhawks pay for mistakes. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

For the past 10 years or so, Rule No. 1 in the NHL has been that you can't make mistakes against the Red Wings .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Chris

San Diego, CA

#1 May 17, 2009
Although Khabi made a few big saves during the game, he let in a soft goal in my opinion on the first on by Cleary, a wrist shot from well out. That was a real deflating goal after the Hawks had carried the play for the first part of the game and had the lead. Not sure why he went down so early on that shot, he has got to make that save..
scooby

Lombard, IL

#2 May 17, 2009
well they're going to need to score more than 2 goals a game to beat these guys. Detroit showed more poise, more grit, and looked to be the much fresher team today thats for sure, Hopefully this was just a one game deal for the hawks as far as their bad play but I regardless I cant see them winning this series, Detroit in 5. Hope I'm wrong
Kane not Abel

Colwell, IA

#3 May 17, 2009
Patrick Kane is not ready for this level of hockey. He is fine for the regular season and early rounds against similarly inexperienced teams, but he couldn't even get a shot in against Detroit. Datsyuk wrapped him up all day and was better offensively as well.

The Hawks will sacrifice this series to get him "experience" for a real Cup run in a few years.

Since: May 09

Salt Lake City, UT

#4 May 17, 2009
That game was absolutely...AWESOME!

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!
Gilmore Tuttle

Chicago, IL

#5 May 17, 2009
The Hawks need to return to old time hockey, or they'll join me at my donut shop in Mile 40, Saskatchewan.
Denver

Aurora, CO

#6 May 17, 2009
To put this simply. If you are going to play the Wings style(Bowman's) you had better be GREAT at it. That is why the Ducks gave the Wings fits. Physical, mistake free, dump and grind hockey. Chicago may want to change the system they run in future years. They have a long way to go to beat the Wings at speed and skill. Plus the Wings will take a few of these guys from the hawks once they are developed.

I said Wings in 5. I wish I could change it.
southernmost wing nut

Miami, FL

#7 May 17, 2009
very acurate article. these senarios in sports are what keep fresh new teams getting to the finals (and winning in time). detroit is way to seasoned for most teams in the league. this kind of reminds me of how the pistons got taught by boston and the bulls got taught by the pistons. its exciting to watch my team be on the top like this. sorry hawks fans but not yet
Chuck D of Valpo

Valparaiso, IN

#8 May 17, 2009
The Blackhawks did draw first blood. They also tied it at two.
Pick it up a notch, next game and maybe the outcome will be better.
The Redwings ain't champs for nothing.
Detroit can be had.
Ghost of Terry Sawchuck

Warren, MI

#9 May 17, 2009
Just remember hawks fans, this is only the beginning. It'll take at least 3-4 more years of good scouting (zetterberg, franzen, holmstron, xatsyuk..), experience (4 cups in 12 years), and a couple hard playoff losses (the colorodo years) to reach that top of the mountaintop. Be glad you have mr. bowman to oversee things and a somewhat competant coach in Joel Q.

In the meantime, watch and learn from the modern day Winged Wheel dynasty.
Wally Llama

Savannah, GA

#10 May 17, 2009
This article makes it sound like it was the Wings in a romp, but don't forget that this game was tied well into the third period. Also, the Hawks recorded 32 shots which is a high number against Detroit. The game was closer than 5-2 would indicate.

Khabibulin was the Hawks' best player, though, and that can't happen if the Hawks are going to have a chance in the series. The Hawks can't have Toews, Kane, Seabrook and Keith to finish with a combined minus-10. The Hawks can't give up 43 shots. And the Hawks certainly can't be the team that looks like they just finished a grueling 7-game series while the Wings dominate the last 12 minutes of the game.

Detroit deserved to win this game - they carried more of the play and carried it more consistently. The Hawks had some wonderful spurts, but playoff hockey is not about one good shift followed by several average shifts.

Since: May 09

Salt Lake City, UT

#11 May 17, 2009
This game was not close at all...not sure what game you were watching...but his one had the B'hawks only scoring two fluke goals. This game was more like 8-0, if not for N.K. and two fluke goals.
mcav99

Bothell, WA

#12 May 17, 2009
If Chicago plays like that again , this will be a very short series.

Just like Pittsburgh, C-Bus, and Duck fans, Chicago fans don't give the Wings credit, then they play and the Wings shut them down. It happens over and over.

When will people realize?
Detroit Dan

Saudi Arabia

#13 May 17, 2009
As Nelson Mundt would say - " Ha Ha".
TBI

United States

#15 May 17, 2009
Go Chicago! Come on Hawks!
cntrn

Chicago, IL

#16 May 18, 2009
Pool's closed, party's over, Hawks fans. Come back to the playoffs when you have a defense.

Since: Apr 09

Chicago, IL

#17 May 18, 2009
cntrn wrote:
Pool's closed, party's over, Hawks fans. Come back to the playoffs when you have a defense.
SMLT. You have not won yet. If you do...bring on the Pengiuns.
RayRay

Chicago, IL

#18 May 18, 2009
dustin29 wrote:
This game was not close at all...not sure what game you were watching...but his one had the B'hawks only scoring two fluke goals. This game was more like 8-0, if not for N.K. and two fluke goals.
Ummm I dont know what game you were watching but..... the Wings ONLY had 3 more good scoring chances than the hawks and The Bulin Wall IS part of the hawks.

Talk about Fluke, Seabrook and Keith have only made a handful of mistakes between them all year and that includes the last 2 games the Hawks beat the Wings. Good Game and Game two will be a Hawks win. They will take Home Ice away from the Boys with Wings.
RayRay

Chicago, IL

#19 May 18, 2009
cntrn wrote:
Again, Didnt the Hawks Only have 3 less scoring chances than the Wings according to the official scorers?? The Hawks also peppered the nets with 30some shots. Speak of No defense. Wait until game 2. The Wings looked very beatable.
RayRay

Chicago, IL

#22 May 18, 2009
OH but at least you have a good Hockey club LOL.

Hawks in 6.
ChiCity

Washington, VA

#23 May 18, 2009
Man that guy from michigan is class personafied huh?

I Mean 'Your Jerk off team" Wow, those are some fancy words right there. Congrats on the 4th grade education. Home schooled and youer mom got sick of you at 10??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brian Campbell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bob Hunter commentary: Jackets need Carter to g... (Jun '11) Jun '11 on the road 15
News Bob Hunter commentary: Jackets need Carter to g... (Jun '11) Jun '11 JRN 10
News Blue Jackets notebook: Draft pick used to watch... (Jun '11) Jun '11 DfromBG 1
News Campbell: a We Just Feel More Comfortable In Ou... (Jan '11) Jan '11 chiboy 1
News Chicago Blackhawks To Match Offer Sheet For Nik... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Go Hawks 1
News Dale Tallon, Chicago Blackhawks Fans Thank You ... (May '10) May '10 DEV STARR 2
News Sharp Scores 2 As Blackhawks Tie Series At 2-2 ... (Apr '10) Apr '10 McDonald 1