Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brian C...

Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brian Campbell working hard to tu...

There are 23 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 26, 2009, titled Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brian Campbell working hard to tu.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The Blackhawks held an optional practice Thursday and it's no surprise Brian Campbell was one of the 10 participants on the ice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BFM

Wood Dale, IL

#1 Mar 27, 2009
Thank you St. Louis. Feel free to go back to sucking anytime now.
Bobby Orr

Chicago, IL

#2 Mar 27, 2009
Campbell's a keeper! He brings a lot of options and excitement to the defense. Stop playing musical chairs with a efense partner and things will settle down.
Bryan

Evanston, IL

#3 Mar 27, 2009
I have been a large critic of Campbell, mainly because of his contract. The last month has not been kind to him on the ice. I have noticed an improvement over the past two games.

To hear this story, I have more respect for him. For him to show up to an optional practice shows leadership and dedication to this team. Kudos

“COMMIT TO THE INDIAN”

Since: Oct 08

Naperville

#4 Mar 27, 2009
I have been a big fan of Campbell, and was disappointed with his play over that bad stretch of games. I will say that after reading what he has done I am impressed with his dedication. I will add one thing, that the booing of him needs to stop. I personally think it is a joke to boo any player of the Hawks, look they are a playoff team. Last year we would have done anything to be in the playoffs. Campbell is a dynamic player and has made a huge difference with this team.
Section 313

North Chicago, IL

#5 Mar 27, 2009
Tim - I completely agree with you. I feel embarrassed every time I hear the hometown crowd boo Campbell. Shows a lack of class and understanding of the game. I lump it in the same category as yelling SHOOT! everytime the puck crosses the offensive blueline.
BFM

Wood Dale, IL

#6 Mar 27, 2009
Showing up at an optional practice is commendable. Saying all the right things is expected. Game time, in the end, is all that matters to me. Campbell had a stretch where he was brutal. He's been better the last week. It does no good to boo your own players. Especially him, a seemingly sensitive sort who might tank completely if the full wrath of the UC crowd was unleashed on him.
The playoffs can make heros or goats out of anybody. We will soon find out who the "gamers" are on this team.
Wayne Gretzky

Wood Dale, IL

#7 Mar 27, 2009
Bobby Orr wrote:
Campbell's a keeper! He brings a lot of options and excitement to the defense. Stop playing musical chairs with a efense partner and things will settle down.
This is a hockey forum. To post using the greatest hockey player ever name is near blasphemy. I would sooner you post as "God"!
Bryan

Evanston, IL

#8 Mar 27, 2009
I think there is a time and a place for educated hockey fans to boo. When Campbell's play was horrid and directly resulting in pucks in our own end, I don't see a problem with an occasional "boo" when he makes a poor play.

Yelling "shoot" is obnoxious, but sometimes necassary. I attended that Islanders game on Green hat day...they had a 5 on 3 and i think they generated about 1-2 shots with mainly perimeter passing and no good scoring chances. Down 2 with a 5 on 3 advantage, shoot the dang puck and overload the net.

Those are the only two scenarios when you will hear me either "boo" or yell "shoot"...haha.
Section 313 wrote:
Tim - I completely agree with you. I feel embarrassed every time I hear the hometown crowd boo Campbell. Shows a lack of class and understanding of the game. I lump it in the same category as yelling SHOOT! everytime the puck crosses the offensive blueline.
cdz3210

Oak Park, IL

#9 Mar 27, 2009
I've been a critic of Campbell almost from the beginning of the season. I'm happy to see that he's been playing better and seems to be on the right track. With the playoffs coming up, the Hawks need him to play at his best. As for him being booed at the UC, he has brought this on himself with his inconsistency and poor play. He will have to prove to the fans that he is no longer that player. I don't think that a player of any team (Playoffs or not) should be exempt from booing.
BFM

Wood Dale, IL

#10 Mar 27, 2009
Section 313 wrote:
The "shoot" thing makes me crazy too. People who never played the game. Most people at the games obviously have never had to handle a bouncing puck either.

“COMMIT TO THE INDIAN”

Naperville

#11 Mar 27, 2009
BFM brings up a great point, I will take it to the next lever. I have played alot of hockey, and you can't always shoot the puck for a few reasons. If there is no lane to shoot the puck there is no reason to shoot it. If you get a pass and the puck is not on your stick then it too is difficult to shoot the puck. There is a big difference from how the fans see the game from the seats to the players on the ice with the opponents right in front of them.

For the booing like I said fans shouldn't boo their team, it just isn't right at least to me.
Johnny C

Chicago, IL

#12 Mar 27, 2009
I agree that you can't shoot the puck all the time with people in front and no lanes, but the biggest thing I have with watching Campbell lately is he's afraid to shoot the puck. He looks to pass at all times. He has no confidence at all.

And what's with the "spin-o-rama" he feels he needs to do every game?
Section 313

North Chicago, IL

#13 Mar 27, 2009
All booing should be reserved for the officials! HAHA
BFM

Wood Dale, IL

#14 Mar 27, 2009
Speaking of Campbell and shooting the puck...he's got the goofyest looking slap shot I've seen in a while. He takes a really loopy backswing then comes thru the puck with an open face blade, like someone who's trying to get extra loft on a 3-wood.
Has anybody else noticed this or am I crazy?

“COMMIT TO THE INDIAN”

Naperville

#15 Mar 27, 2009
Section 313 wrote:
All booing should be reserved for the officials! HAHA
I second that, the officials have been horrible this year. They and the visiting team should be boo'd
BFM

Wood Dale, IL

#16 Mar 27, 2009
Guys, the DH has some hilarious stuff (actually only one post) in response to the religious guy (I had "nut" written in but changed it) who normally post there. Got a good laugh out of it, thought you might too.

Wayne, IL

#17 Mar 27, 2009
I, for one, was so damn excited when the Hawks signed Campbell, regardles of the terms of his contract. But to say I have been disappointed in his subsequent play would be a HUGE understatement. That said, he has played a lot better lately. I don't know if it has been his pairng with Hjalmarrson or disgust with himself, but it sure seems someone lit a fire under his butt. Good to hear he has taken responsibilty for his poor play and is commited to bringing back his game.

I'm pumped for this weekend! Hoping for 4 points (gotta have the 2 against the Nucks).
chitown

Harvey, IL

#18 Mar 28, 2009
cdz3210 wrote:
I've been a critic of Campbell almost from the beginning of the season. I'm happy to see that he's been playing better and seems to be on the right track. With the playoffs coming up, the Hawks need him to play at his best. As for him being booed at the UC, he has brought this on himself with his inconsistency and poor play. He will have to prove to the fans that he is no longer that player. I don't think that a player of any team (Playoffs or not) should be exempt from booing.
Brian has been very solid almost all season! Those 10 or so games he did struggle, Just like Kane has struggled, Toews has Struggled, Havlat etc etc etc. The guy was brought heer to open the game up for the Hawks, Get the puck Up ice and use his speed to cause havoc. He has done that very nicely almost all season.
chitown

Harvey, IL

#19 Mar 28, 2009
Here not heer. Ooops.
Craig

Barrington, IL

#20 Mar 28, 2009
I've played hockey all my life and I love when everyone yells shoot. It's exciting and shows the crowd is into the game. I yell it to sometimes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brian Campbell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bob Hunter commentary: Jackets need Carter to g... (Jun '11) Jun '11 on the road 15
News Bob Hunter commentary: Jackets need Carter to g... (Jun '11) Jun '11 JRN 10
News Blue Jackets notebook: Draft pick used to watch... (Jun '11) Jun '11 DfromBG 1
News Campbell: a We Just Feel More Comfortable In Ou... (Jan '11) Jan '11 chiboy 1
News Chicago Blackhawks To Match Offer Sheet For Nik... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Go Hawks 1
News Dale Tallon, Chicago Blackhawks Fans Thank You ... (May '10) May '10 DEV STARR 2
News Sharp Scores 2 As Blackhawks Tie Series At 2-2 ... (Apr '10) Apr '10 McDonald 1
More from around the web