Another loss heightens Wild's sense o...

Another loss heightens Wild's sense of urgency

There are 14 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 17, 2011, titled Another loss heightens Wild's sense of urgency. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The players on the Wild understood Thursday night. They were backed into a corner, and after losing three consecutive road games, the only way out was to start winning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Victim of the Economy

Lakeville, MN

#1 Mar 18, 2011
Sorry to say call it a season fellas, to many hurt, to many playing hurt, to many old legs, and never any scoring.
To be outshot that many games and still win as many as you did was impressive, very very lucky but impressive.

From the seasons start we never stood a chance, look at the league stats we have no one in any of those catagories, look at the winners they are chocked full in the stats logs.
It isn't rocket science to run a team, spend money you get players. Stop shopping for the bargain basement guys, these 12 goal scorers are plan C type players who don't bring the scoring needed to win. The old timers just don't have it either, and the one's we thought would blossom just are mediocre at best.
Not to be negetive but the true fans, well actually the ones who know we get scammed every year by the owners knew we didn't stand a chance come April. Sorry to say it was a good run, very lucky, but we all knew the train would de-rail sooner or later. You get what you pay for. Should have Signed John Scott or Boogey, although both were hurt some, sorry to say but a Burns should not be close to leading our team in goals and you should brought back Owen Nolen, at least we'd have had a 20 goal scorer,...and a fighter, yeah older but a team leader.
I'm done for the year, possibly next.
Scott in Orlando

Orlando, FL

#2 Mar 18, 2011
If the Wild do not sweep this weekends home stand it's over. The team has flirted with qualifying for the play offs during the season, but need an incredible run now at the end of the regular season. Lack of offense? Yes. That's the offseason work for the front office.
KJL

Manchester, CT

#3 Mar 18, 2011
Good thing we did not disrupt the chemistry and trade for help at the trade deadline.

If we do make the playoffs, it will be as the #8 or #7, I think it's time to close the books on Kobasew, Barker, etc... and start playing Wellman more and call up players like Cuma and give them decent ice time for the rest of the year.
Slap Snot

Cottage Grove, MN

#4 Mar 18, 2011
No playoffs again!
Wake me in October.
ZZZZzzzzZZZZZZzzzZZZZZZzzzZZZZ ZZZzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzZZZ
Minnesotan stuck in AR

Springdale, AR

#5 Mar 18, 2011
That's what you get when you don't pay to add ANY talent. It's also what you get when your team has been simply awful when it comes to drafting.

The solution is relatively simple, if you ask me: 1) Call up Casey Wellman. It's not like he'd be taking the spot of a better option.

2) Convince Jason Zucker to leave the University of Denver early. He has talent, which is what this team severely lacks.

3) Sign Stephane Da Costa of Merrimack. How that kid went undrafted and somehow ended up at Merrimack is completely beyond me. Again, Stephane has that rare ability (at least for the Wild) to score.

4) Get Mikael Granlund over to the states asap.

5) Re-evaluate your draft evaluations. Clearly, the team has been struggling on that front.

6) Spend some money. Bring in a proven scorer or two. Havlat was a good start, but this team need A LOT MORE HELP.
crown

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Mar 18, 2011
Scott from Orlando - Sorry to say buddy, but the season was over when we didn't score a goal in the first two games of this road trip. I've always given fletch the benefit of the doubt, but he is officially on the clock to make this team better. Fast. We need scoring, plain and simple. People are angry, and for good reason. It's been ten years, time to figure it out boys.
Sage

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Mar 18, 2011
Minnesotan stuck in AR wrote:
That's what you get when you don't pay to add ANY talent. It's also what you get when your team has been simply awful when it comes to drafting.
The solution is relatively simple, if you ask me: 1) Call up Casey Wellman. It's not like he'd be taking the spot of a better option.
2) Convince Jason Zucker to leave the University of Denver early. He has talent, which is what this team severely lacks.
3) Sign Stephane Da Costa of Merrimack. How that kid went undrafted and somehow ended up at Merrimack is completely beyond me. Again, Stephane has that rare ability (at least for the Wild) to score.
4) Get Mikael Granlund over to the states asap.
5) Re-evaluate your draft evaluations. Clearly, the team has been struggling on that front.
6) Spend some money. Bring in a proven scorer or two. Havlat was a good start, but this team need A LOT MORE HELP.
Good points, all! Also on the "to do" list should be to get bigger, more physical forwards. Virtually every team the Wild face has more talent. Horrible 1st round drafting hasn't helped either. Hey Fletch, don't forget that you had some large, talented players like malkin and stahl in pit when you won the cup!
hdog

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Mar 18, 2011
.....and heightens my sense of nausea. What a weak team, completely choking when it really counts.
hdog

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Mar 18, 2011
Victim of the Economy wrote:
Sorry to say call it a season fellas, to many hurt, to many playing hurt, to many old legs, and never any scoring.
To be outshot that many games and still win as many as you did was impressive, very very lucky but impressive.
From the seasons start we never stood a chance, look at the league stats we have no one in any of those catagories, look at the winners they are chocked full in the stats logs.
It isn't rocket science to run a team, spend money you get players. Stop shopping for the bargain basement guys, these 12 goal scorers are plan C type players who don't bring the scoring needed to win. The old timers just don't have it either, and the one's we thought would blossom just are mediocre at best.
Not to be negetive but the true fans, well actually the ones who know we get scammed every year by the owners knew we didn't stand a chance come April. Sorry to say it was a good run, very lucky, but we all knew the train would de-rail sooner or later. You get what you pay for. Should have Signed John Scott or Boogey, although both were hurt some, sorry to say but a Burns should not be close to leading our team in goals and you should brought back Owen Nolen, at least we'd have had a 20 goal scorer,...and a fighter, yeah older but a team leader.
I'm done for the year, possibly next.
Few have made the observation, but you're right, letting Nolan slip away was idiotic. And also, I think the Wild wouldn't get kicked around as easily if they would not be so stupidly opposed to having a goon. Bring Kassian or some equally endowed simian back to police the joint.
Goldteam

Rock Island, IL

#10 Mar 18, 2011
This state sucks at all sports...we need to stop trying.....
wtf

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Mar 18, 2011
The urgency should be most felt by RFA/UFA players who are on the bubble or playing below par. I'm sensing we will see many new faces come next season.
Big I

Zumbrota, MN

#12 Mar 18, 2011
Sorry Wild, the season is done. Time to prepare for next year.
ventcap

Scottsdale, AZ

#13 Mar 18, 2011
Turn out the lights already,
Scott in Orlando

Orlando, FL

#14 Mar 20, 2011
crown wrote:
Scott from Orlando - Sorry to say buddy, but the season was over when we didn't score a goal in the first two games of this road trip. I've always given fletch the benefit of the doubt, but he is officially on the clock to make this team better. Fast. We need scoring, plain and simple. People are angry, and for good reason. It's been ten years, time to figure it out boys.
A weekend sweep would've at least kept the conversation going, but really all year the team was more out of contention than in - you're right on the GM, if he isn't careful he will alienate one of the best fan bases in the entire NHL.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brent Burns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Breaking Down Clash Between Boston Bruins' 'D' ... (Oct '13) Nov '13 Jones 4
News 2012 NHL Mock Draft: Best 1st-Round Fit for Eac... (May '12) May '12 Gary Smith 1
News NHL notebook: Wild counting on Heatley to score... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Eric 1
News NHL: Sharks trade Dany Heatley to Wild for Mart... (Jul '11) Jul '11 fefifofum 1
News Trade winds start for Jackets | The Columbus Di... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Section 101 7
News Wild fans bid an emotional farewell to their 't... (May '11) May '11 kecker 38
News Ask Matty: What about a Burns for Hemsky trade? (Apr '11) Apr '11 Oilernut267 1
More from around the web