Time ticks down on trade for Isles' Guerin

Full story: Newsday 15
Is today the day Islanders captain Bill Guerin ships out? Or will he return to a kind of purgatory for the rest of the season, trying to play the string out professionally despite his differences with coach ... Full Story
geeze

Hempstead, NY

#1 Mar 3, 2009
today is not the trade deadline!

Since: Feb 07

Toms River, NJ

#2 Mar 3, 2009
I don't understand what exactly the point is/was of taking him out of the lineup unless there was a definitive/eminate trade. I agree with the piece, this is going to be a very awkward situation if he's not traded and to be honest, Bill Guerin doesn't deserve this. He has given his all since being here and has been a good captain.
rob milbury

United States

#3 Mar 3, 2009
Chris Campoli 4 points 4 games. Great trade!!!!!
rob milbury

United States

#4 Mar 3, 2009
IslanderMan wrote:
I don't understand what exactly the point is/was of taking him out of the lineup unless there was a definitive/eminate trade. I agree with the piece, this is going to be a very awkward situation if he's not traded and to be honest, Bill Guerin doesn't deserve this. He has given his all since being here and has been a good captain.
I totally agree! It seems like Snow doesn't know what he's doing. Just another long list of TERRIBLE Islander GM's.(Maloney, Milbury, and now Snow.)
4therecord

AOL

#5 Mar 3, 2009
Snow did the smart thing! He pulled Guerin just before the only islander not to miss a game this season went down. Ok so this is a strange situation, but who cares no toher trade went down today. Derrick Morris is in the same situation as Guerin. Other veterans were pulled out of games tonight to avoid possible injury like Mark Recchi. If Guerin is not traded tomorrow than its not a good thing for the organization, but I think he will be traded to the highest bidder. People just like to magnify every little negative in Islanders country because things have been bad for a while. Im pretty sick of these stupid fans that make us real Islander fans look bad! There are more negative things going on with the ranger$ right now.
Eric S

Simi Valley, CA

#6 Mar 3, 2009
I agree with 4therecord, people ned to relax. WE'RE REBUILDING WITH YOUTH!!! It takes time people. IslanderMan...the point of taking Guerin out of the lineup is obvious, to avoid injury. They're trying to deal him and can't if he gets hurt. geeze...this article is meant for tomorrow's print. They get posted on the internet earlier. Rob Milbury...Campoli wanted out, he was minus 19 for us and clearly didn't take well to Gordon's style of play. Hillen and Callahan have played better than Campoli has for us so it was a good deal to get a 1st rounder. If you can't see the progress in the play of guys like Okposo, Neilsen, and Bergy then I don't know that you can be helped. As for Snow, he's not that bad. Streit was the best FA signing this offseason by any team. Weight was terrific until he got hurt, Bailey, while he has had his struggles clearly is going to be a terrific playmaking center(give him time, he's 19), getting a 1st rounder for a Dman who didn't want to be here and was horrible in his own zone for us was a great deal. He signed Hillen as a free agent out of college. And he didn't waste roughly $14 million a year for 29 goals a la Glen Sather(Gomez 13 g, Drury 16 g)
Eric S

Simi Valley, CA

#7 Mar 3, 2009
Come to think of it, the Rangers have only scored 5 more goals as a team than the Islanders(who've played one less game). We've been playing with back up goalies all year and have had the most injuries of any team in the league. Where would the Rags be right now if Queen Henrik were out the whole year or if they had to deal with as many injuries as we have? As it is they're choking away a playoff berth and even if they do sneak in they're not going anywhere. We're 14-13-5 at home, not great but not bad either. We've been awful on the road but considering our youth it's not that surprising. The Rags were expected to be cup contenders and for all they've spent on guys like Drury and Gomez they have scored only 5 more goals than my last place Isles. At least we have some hope with our young guys.
mets fan in omaha

Omaha, NE

#8 Mar 3, 2009
very well said,Scott...i guess the so-called Isle fans who complain havnt really been following the Isles all year...I,for one, is really excited about this team...im very impressed with the play of the kids and the goaltending has been very good,lately...i forgot we still have DiPietro..LOL..Im starting to appriciate the style Gordon brings to the team, it truly goes by Snows vision of what this team will be...i wish Guerin the best, he has been a good capt and has did his job teaching the youngsters quite well...to all who keep bashing the Isles about being in last, you knew we would, and Scott is right, the Rangers are not much better,next year they'll be worser than us. Things are looking good in Islander country.
Eric S wrote:
Come to think of it, the Rangers have only scored 5 more goals as a team than the Islanders(who've played one less game). We've been playing with back up goalies all year and have had the most injuries of any team in the league. Where would the Rags be right now if Queen Henrik were out the whole year or if they had to deal with as many injuries as we have? As it is they're choking away a playoff berth and even if they do sneak in they're not going anywhere. We're 14-13-5 at home, not great but not bad either. We've been awful on the road but considering our youth it's not that surprising. The Rags were expected to be cup contenders and for all they've spent on guys like Drury and Gomez they have scored only 5 more goals than my last place Isles. At least we have some hope with our young guys.
mets fan in omaha

Omaha, NE

#9 Mar 3, 2009
i dont know where i got scott from, srry Eric
Bryan Murray

Atlanta, GA

#11 Mar 4, 2009
rob milbury wrote:
Chris Campoli 4 points 4 games. Great trade!!!!!
Campoli has also given the puck away six times in four games.
nyfan30

Las Vegas, NV

#15 Mar 4, 2009
Guerin hopefully you get off this always sinking ship before the deadline.
Alan Eagleson

Atlanta, GA

#16 Mar 4, 2009
rob milbury wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree! It seems like Snow doesn't know what he's doing. Just another long list of TERRIBLE Islander GM's.(Maloney, Milbury, and now Snow.)
Guerin is out of the lineup because Snow is attempting to trade him. In case you missed it, the Islanders are rebuilding. Guerin is 38 years and does not fit into the rebuilding with youth program. Guerin is not playing because if he gets injured, there will be no trade. Guerin also has a no trade contract, so either he agrees to a trade or the Islanders can pay him $$$ to relinquish the no trade clause. Guerin may also veto a trade, and play out the remainder of his contract this year and become an unrestricted free agent. Suffice it to say his days as an Islander are near an end.
Emile Francis

Atlanta, GA

#17 Mar 4, 2009
Piles Really Suck wrote:
<quoted text>
last place fool
you should just shut up, your embarrassing us.
One Cup in 69 years you should be proud of the Ranger franchise.
Sal Mussina

Atlanta, GA

#18 Mar 4, 2009
Piles Really Suck wrote:
<quoted text>
this just in
Isles are worst team in NHL
how the heck can people be excited about them.
w-t-f
pass the kool ade please
Keep drinking the MSG Kool Aid. The Rangers one Cup in 69 years soon to be 70 years. Congratulations you must be a loser!
McCoo

Boyertown, PA

#19 Mar 4, 2009
MAn!! I bet all these free agents will be lining up this summer for the Isles!?? another FINE mess this franchise has begun. Alienate a class guy like Guerin. YEA! way to go Garf!!! we'll have all these picks that once they become f.a., they're gone, because a: we'll still be **** franchise. b: we'll be on our 5th coach since whatever his name is their now. c: we'll be in KC, or D: u guessed it, all of the above.
WHAT A JOKE.
imagine if hockey had say the status of the NBA.....man the jokes on late night would be non stop w/ this organIZation

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brendan Witt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aaron Portzline looks ahead: New York Islanders (Jun '09) Jun '09 DAC-Islanders 2
Islanders sign Doug Weight to one-year extension (Apr '09) Apr '09 roger43 31
WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumble loss (Mar '09) Mar '09 Patience 35
Islanders power past Wild, 6-2 (Mar '09) Mar '09 Renegade 12
Streit's play merits Norris Trophy consideration (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tavares09 64
Isles question calls that stunted their rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 BrkmB 27
Isles question calls that stunted rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 NYRfan 5
More from around the web