How to fix the ISLANDERS; Two plans for on nearly impossible goal

Full story: Newsday 39
GREG LOGAN: MUST SEE THE 'LIGHT' Whether Islanders fans agree with it or not, the process of fixing the franchise began in earnest last summer when owner Charles Wang chose general manager Garth Snow over coach ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

ETR

“Hello boys.....”

Since: Aug 07

.......I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

#21 Dec 15, 2008
Tap San in LIC wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends how their fourth line played.
How true, they are the difference between a 4 goal deficit and a 5 goal deficit....
Colin Citra-Florida

New York, NY

#22 Dec 15, 2008
It's funny that the guys down in the minors are doing well with the overspeed system and our guys up here can't make it work two games in a row.There are other teams that are using kids to get the job done so I don't think the system is the problem.They are young and have to grow,not to mention that 6 players are on the injury list and two of them are scorers with big potential.
JOHN

Seymour, MO

#23 Dec 15, 2008
Mike wrote:
This organization is "EFFED"-
As much as I'd like to see local kids reach the NHL, North Bellmore's Matt Gilroy is NOT the answer-
You must ask the question....why isn't taking a hard run a Matt Gilroy no other teams priority ?
Are you hoping he'll bring in 20 of his local friends every game- If it's about ticket sales why not take a run at Long Island bred Mike Komararik, Eric Nystrom and Chris Higgins too-
You're right...Matt Gilroy is not the answer. Why is he such a priority when no other teams have any interest in him- STOP.

The Lighthouse just isn't going to happen so we should all stop dreaming. What more realistic is Wang's Islanders move and then years down the road the Lighthouse or something like it happens, or even just a renovated coliseum..then a new team comes in who they could always call the Islanders- Kind of like the Cleveland Browns did. Wang's had it with losing money especially when he knows he can move the team, recover his losses and then begin making money in the hockey business-

This article is trying to paint a pretty picture but in reality the only pretty about the situation is that it's pretty damn ugly.

Hockey is dead on Long Island- it had a good run but it's over now-
JOHN

Seymour, MO

#24 Dec 15, 2008
Newsday Blocked out the word BROWNS ..you know, Clevelands NFL team- WTF ?
Move already

Wethersfield, CT

#25 Dec 15, 2008
Quit delaying the inevitable and just move already.
Dr Phil

AOL

#26 Dec 15, 2008
matt wrote:
<quoted text>
ok..and what rookie this year is a crowd pleaser like malkin or crosby? there still rookies,give them a chance let em open up bailey has potential
What about Bressard with the Blue Jackets? Nine goals....not bad for a rookie only 21.
Maybe they should have let Bailey go back to the juniors of another year. You rush someone up who is not ready and you can ruin him. I was wrong also, wanting him up with the big club. You want your first round draft pick to make an immediate impact. There are no first years draft choices like Bossy anymore. I was hoping for Filatov at pick 5, and I still think the trades down to pick 9 is going to bite them in the butt.
Lotterypick

Brooklyn, NY

#27 Dec 15, 2008
We've probably witnessed the end of an era with all these new sports and gambling complexes and other big real estate developments. So no Lighthouse Project, no Brooklyn Nets, and maybe even a few teams fold. Today's announcement of the suspension of Arena League football may be an omen. I'm hoping the Isles are not a casualty and would rather have a losing team here than none at all. I still miss the NY Nets and LI (hockey) Ducks.
steve

Montgomery, AL

#28 Dec 16, 2008
Kevin wrote:
Kansas City Isanders has a nice ring to it!!
Gee, wasnt the Devils once a team called the KC Scouts. that worked really well, didnt it.
Reg Dunlop

Ridgefield, CT

#29 Dec 16, 2008
The Islanders are not moving. In fact, there is a new owner coming along! With a new arena! And better parking! So whatta ya say boys, lets go play some old time hockey!

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Toronto

#30 Dec 16, 2008
steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, wasnt the Devils once a team called the KC Scouts. that worked really well, didnt it.
the devils were the colorado rockies. i remember the scouts but don't remember if they moved to colorado

ETR

“Hello boys.....”

.......I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

#31 Dec 16, 2008
roger43 wrote:
<quoted text>
the devils were the colorado rockies. i remember the scouts but don't remember if they moved to colorado
They did, they were the gypsies of the NHL....

“say what you mean...”

Since: Nov 07

and mean what you say.

#32 Dec 16, 2008
roger43 wrote:
<quoted text>
yup, yup...originally kc scouts.
Albuquerque Mike

AOL

#33 Dec 16, 2008
Just in from shoveling about 3" off our driveway. Better than shoveling 3" of BS from Snow and Gordon. We have to look down the road. No Lighthouse project, Snow selling tupperware door to door. Gordon coaching at Medicine Hat, Wang opening a Chinese Buffet in Port Jeff, Bailey, Okposo, Tambellini and Bergenheim skating with "Disney On Ice," Park still playing at 110% and Martinek out hurt again. Something to look forward to.
PLEASE STAY

Chandler, AZ

#34 Dec 16, 2008
I hope the Fishsticks do not move and stay in our division. We always look foward to the easy 2 points!
Battfist

Columbus, OH

#35 Dec 16, 2008
Serious-
The Islanders arent going anywhere. With the state of our economy...there is no end in sight on how bad things are going to get. Im willing to bet no one(buyer) will take on this kind of project for a couple of years.

Whether we like it or not-this is the only option this organization has left. By the time the trade deadline hits...the Isles will look like an AHL team....if not are already. But weve suffered this long...why not one more season?

Unlike many of you-I believe in Gordon and his system. He proved he can win(AHL)...and I think in time he'll do it again. He just doesnt have the right pieces yet.

DP shouldnt sit out the whole year. If healthy he plays.
champ4

AOL

#36 Dec 16, 2008
to all read the comments that greg logan,and arthur staple.....they hold all the truth!!!!!!!!!! they pretty much say it all.....
NYRfan

Stamford, CT

#37 Dec 16, 2008
Here are 5 Steps to how the Isles get better.

1. Draft Hedman, not Tavares
Tavares is a great goal scorer and I think will be better than Crosby. But with all the free agents this year the Isles can easily replenish their offense.

2. Sign Marian Hossa to the largest contract in NHL history
The man was almost a one man show in Atlanta (besides Kovalchuk the rest of the team was irrelevant) He can net 40 goals and 100 points without anything around him

3. Approve the Lighthouse
The Isles play in the smallest venue in the NHL. If you do not have mid level seats you do not have a good view of the game (no fan wants to be blocked out of watching the game)

4. Buyout DP
He has shown the NHL he is average at best. He is injury prone and has 12 years left on his contract. No other team is insane enough to pick up his deal. In order to sign a player for 10+ years (Ovechkin, Richards) you should prove yourself first.

5. Clear out the front office (Snow, Gordon, Wang)
self-explanatory
Jay

Columbus, OH

#38 Dec 19, 2008
Reg Dunlop wrote:
The Islanders are not moving. In fact, there is a new owner coming along! With a new arena! And better parking! So whatta ya say boys, lets go play some old time hockey!
Who? Bernard Madoff, lmao.....
Nick Eman

Canada

#39 Dec 21, 2008
Do not draft for the coach's system, draft the best player. What if the coach is no longer there in 2, 3, 4, 5 etc years?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brendan Witt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aaron Portzline looks ahead: New York Islanders (Jun '09) Jun '09 DAC-Islanders 2
Islanders sign Doug Weight to one-year extension (Apr '09) Apr '09 roger43 31
WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumble loss (Mar '09) Mar '09 Patience 35
Islanders power past Wild, 6-2 (Mar '09) Mar '09 Renegade 12
Streit's play merits Norris Trophy consideration (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tavares09 64
Isles question calls that stunted their rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 BrkmB 27
Isles question calls that stunted rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 NYRfan 5
More from around the web