How to fix the ISLANDERS; Two plans f...

How to fix the ISLANDERS; Two plans for on nearly impossible goal

There are 39 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled How to fix the ISLANDERS; Two plans for on nearly impossible goal. In it, Newsday reports that:

GREG LOGAN: MUST SEE THE 'LIGHT' Whether Islanders fans agree with it or not, the process of fixing the franchise began in earnest last summer when owner Charles Wang chose general manager Garth Snow over coach ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Kevin

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Dec 14, 2008
Who cares. Let them move!! They will not be missed
Kevin

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Dec 14, 2008
Kansas City Isanders has a nice ring to it!!
matt

Brentwood, NY

#3 Dec 14, 2008
ok RANGERS fans above, pipe down. the ISLANDERS need a NEW arena first off, not a renovation.. everything new. Charles wang's plan is great..same idea as the Columbus Blue Jackets arena. it provides jobs social areas and parks. if it wasnt a good plan..then nobody would be saying the Columbus Blue Jackets is one of the nicest arenas!!. Scott Gordens plan with the young players is perfect, along with his playing system, we need the right type of players to play in this system as well. we need to spend our money on the young talents kids. a good start will be to get a goal scorer. WE are headed in the right direction..it takes time and a big part of the job is to make the NEW arena plan work. i know my hockey. so town of hempstead PLEASE help us out. Questions or comments Email me at [email protected]
Dr Phil

AOL

#4 Dec 14, 2008
Holy Cr-p: it's raining idiots. Get your umbrella, or you're going to get hit by a Logan or Staple. The only solution is for Wang to get rid of Snow and Gordon; hire a real NHL GM and a experienced NHL coach, and then stay out of those areas. Okposo and the "kids" now on the roster are not the answer. Bailey will never be a scorer and we don't need more passers. Some of the 2008 draft choices might work in the future, but bring them up for a look-see cup of coffee just to get a taste of their talent. Forget this season and start to evaluate those kids in the pipeline so we know how to draft this June. And, don't trade away your first round draft pick, whether it's one or five. For example let's have a look at Jesse Joensuu for 2 or 3 games.
Joe

Andover, NJ

#5 Dec 14, 2008
Sean Avery is available...as much as I dislike his trash comments, he is exactly the type of physical player that the Islanders need.
matt

Smithtown, NY

#6 Dec 14, 2008
dr phill, stick to family problems. Bailey is a play maker..you cant score with out a play being made !..and joe..sorry wrong answer..avery is not what the isles are looking for.
Dr Phil

AOL

#7 Dec 14, 2008
matt wrote:
dr phill, stick to family problems. Bailey is a play maker..you cant score with out a play being made !..and joe..sorry wrong answer..avery is not what the isles are looking for.
Sorry to disagree, but play makers who can't finish are a dime a dozen, and Bailey can't finish. He won't be another Crosby no matter how much you dream.
Malkin is a center also, but Bailey couldn't, and never will, be able to carry his jock strap. I'll go back to family problems when you stop smoking those funny cigarettes and wake up to reality. Maybe 20 goals if you could put him between a Gaborik and a Kovalchuk. You are right about Avery. He would become a distraction and I would have to put him in therapy.
Mike

Brookfield, CT

#8 Dec 14, 2008
Bailey is the Magic Johnson of this team. He puts the puck places that would baffle most play makers, and he's what? 18 years old?

Give it a rest Dr. Phil. You put Bailey out there with Okposo and another true goal scorer and great things will happen. Get Justin DiBenedetto and Matt Martin up here from Sarnia. They're on fire! Matt Martin could be the next Todd Bertuzzi...he's a bruiser with good hands.
Esther

Bronx, NY

#9 Dec 14, 2008
wow, some of you people are delusional..
Here we go again with the old "well you put blank with so and so BS".
Spare us the B S
Phil

Adelaide, Australia

#10 Dec 14, 2008
Joe wrote:
Sean Avery is available...as much as I dislike his trash comments, he is exactly the type of physical player that the Islanders need.
Well, his potential comments couldn't offend fans any more than the team's play this year. But he might go after Comrie's sloppy seconds.
Coz

Manassas, VA

#11 Dec 14, 2008
I agree with some points...arena is a must; but two to three years for Gordons unproven system. Don't know if the fans will stay for that. As for the youth; its all in good for saying they are the future but they arent producing. Case in point Bailey needs to play some international play; he's just not there yet. Heck I would like to see him shoot more then pass, then I know hes hungry to score a goal. The really sad part of this article is that there already talking about next years draft and we are not even to the All star break.
Suicide Hotline

Scottsdale, AZ

#12 Dec 14, 2008
After reading this, I think I'm gonna stab myself in the heart with a knife - less painful than being an Islander fan for the foreseeable future.
Jim Balsillie

New York, NY

#13 Dec 14, 2008
I have more money than God and I wouldn't buy this team...wait, I still owe the people of Hamilton a hockey team. After all, I did take season ticket deposits. Hamilton Islanders, that sounds about right
Zack

Berkeley, CA

#14 Dec 14, 2008
I expected your article to put forth two different, but clear plans.
Instead, it's really one general plan with all the hoped for rhings and yes, that has meritsl
I agree with you that the 'new' direction came with Wang's decision to back Snow over Nolan; though it's hard to know if he understood the intensity of such a direction in Snow's mind. Unfortunately, pushing the younger players at expense of the old sounds so much simpler than it is And indeed, while the younger players are getting exposure, and some may eventually be more than promising (if not traded or dropped or whatever), it's the more established part of the team that is scoring.
I can think of another plan that would have been far better in both the short and long run for the Islanders and would have continued to keep the fans rooting and shouting positively (instead of what we have now ... a team that has now lost 6 in as row, after 5 in a row just a while back, and 7 out of 8 or is it 8 out of 9)- and without disparaging Gordon (I have no view really on him as a manager) but if Snow hadn't been so compulsively set on his path and with such an obvious lack of confidence as to have had to insist that Nolan go, the FAR better option would have included Nolan in the Islanders plans for far into the future and as a very definite balance to Snow.
Why after all does a major league Hockey team have to take upon itself the role that all the minor league teams already have. What Snow has done has been to turn the Islanders today into mostly a glorified minor league team sporting the prospects of the future; And, as such, they will win a few, very few overall, games, because that's what any minor league team would probably do if their schedule included only teams from the NHL.
I cannot tell you how I wish Nolan were still with the Islanders as a manager and as a counter to the insecure Snow. God help Gordon if he ever begins to gain some overall recognition that goes beyond Snow.
So, indeed, fans were really enthusiastic with Nolan at the helm, and Snow was acceptable then. He did, after all, really try to move things. But, with Snow in total control, and with the Islanders in their worst of all seasons, already 11 pts away from a playoff position they have no hope of attaining this year, can you blame fans for wanting to look away until things get at least back to where they were. Why go, after all, to the game to see your team drubbed by 9 to 2 scores or inevitable to lose 4 oo 5 to 3 in the 3rd quarter. This isn't Gordon's fault, it's Snow
s and Wang's for allowing Snow to dominate.
Plan 2 - which will never even be considered - keep the youth movement, of course, though without making the Islanders into a glorified minor league team, and bring back Nolan. Better yet, FIRE SNOW ASAP, and ask Nolan if he would consider taking the GM role. Nolan was dedicated and he was/is an exceptional manager. How Wang could have let him go, and how he couldn't have seen through Snow's compulsive need to get rid of anyone who might make him look bad ... enough said.
So, your article was interesting - but you said pretty much what we all know without really putlling out the stops - my opinion. But, you did hit on the one really clear point: This horror all began with Wang's mistaken agreement with Snow and yes, there is no reason for an emphasis on youth to turn the team into a glorified minor league entry.
Jay

Columbus, OH

#15 Dec 15, 2008
Same BS & lies one year after another! The fans are fading fast. Lower ticket prices to draw in new fans and for crying out loud, use more of the salary cap funds to bring in stars!

Forget the Lighthouse project! Just build a new Coliseum and don't link MSG to the loan. This franchise is sinking fast and management just can't wait around 3-5 more years.

Does anyone know when next season's tryouts are?
kallur

Andes, NY

#16 Dec 15, 2008
Staple's more on than Logan. Bailey absolutely should be playing in Worlds. Another stupid decision by Snow. Wang is the problem, as is evidenced by Neil Smith's firing. (LaFontaine quitting in support should have been all the proof any of us needs.) Any owner today that isn't at or near the salary cap shouldn't own a team.
Mike

Croton On Hudson, NY

#17 Dec 15, 2008
This organization is "EFFED"-
As much as I'd like to see local kids reach the NHL, North Bellmore's Matt Gilroy is NOT the answer-

You must ask the question....why isn't taking a hard run a Matt Gilroy no other teams priority ?

Are you hoping he'll bring in 20 of his local friends every game- If it's about ticket sales why not take a run at Long Island bred Mike Komararik, Eric Nystrom and Chris Higgins too-

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

#18 Dec 15, 2008
Kevin wrote:
Who cares. Let them move!! They will not be missed
because there's no one to miss them.

if the isles play a game at the mausaleum and no one is there to watch, did they still lose by 5 goals?

“It might have been !!!”

Since: Aug 07

F&P City

#19 Dec 15, 2008
roger43 wrote:
<quoted text>
because there's no one to miss them.
if the isles play a game at the mausaleum and no one is there to watch, did they still lose by 5 goals?
Depends how their fourth line played.
matt

East Islip, NY

#20 Dec 15, 2008
Dr Phil wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry to disagree, but play makers who can't finish are a dime a dozen, and Bailey can't finish. He won't be another Crosby no matter how much you dream.
Malkin is a center also, but Bailey couldn't, and never will, be able to carry his jock strap. I'll go back to family problems when you stop smoking those funny cigarettes and wake up to reality. Maybe 20 goals if you could put him between a Gaborik and a Kovalchuk. You are right about Avery. He would become a distraction and I would have to put him in therapy.
ok..and what rookie this year is a crowd pleaser like malkin or crosby? there still rookies,give them a chance let em open up bailey has potential

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brendan Witt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aaron Portzline looks ahead: New York Islanders (Jun '09) Jun '09 DAC-Islanders 2
News Islanders sign Doug Weight to one-year extension (Apr '09) Apr '09 roger43 31
News WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumble loss (Mar '09) Mar '09 Patience 35
News Islanders power past Wild, 6-2 (Mar '09) Mar '09 Renegade 12
News Streit's play merits Norris Trophy consideration (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tavares09 64
News Isles question calls that stunted their rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 BrkmB 27
News Isles question calls that stunted rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 NYRfan 5
More from around the web