Islanders' Witt banned 5 games for elbowing

There are 19 comments on the Newsday story from Feb 28, 2009, titled Islanders' Witt banned 5 games for elbowing. In it, Newsday reports that:

Defenseman Brendan Witt will miss the Islanders' game against Buffalo Saturday night at the Coliseum while serving the first of a five-game suspension he received Friday from the NHL for his elbow to the head ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

ThenewislesGM

New Rochelle, NY

#1 Feb 28, 2009
Can someone explain to me how he got 5 games when Mottau only got 2? For some reason, none of this makes any sense. Is the league trying to make an example out of the Islanders? O well. 5 game tryout for another Sound Tiger.
Islander fan in Boston

Boston, MA

#2 Feb 28, 2009
Will this hurt his trade value?

I hope not.
Battfist

Columbus, OH

#3 Feb 28, 2009
Islander fan in Boston wrote:
Will this hurt his trade value?
I hope not.
I was wondering that too...
a team might look at it as Witt giving his body a rest too.

“Hoping LI moves past the 70's”

Since: Feb 08

Long Island

#4 Feb 28, 2009
Trade value, trade value, traded value. What about tha value of keeping the guy? Do the Islanders REALLY need to lose size and toughness?
Fish R Fried

West Milford, NJ

#5 Feb 28, 2009
With Witt's suspension, it would appear that the Islanders run at the Stanley Cup this year is in doubt. Well, at least Okposo will still be rookie of the year. What, you mean he won't because he stinks? oh.
Effin eh

Fort Lee, NJ

#6 Feb 28, 2009
TheMetalChick wrote:
Trade value, trade value, traded value. What about tha value of keeping the guy? Do the Islanders REALLY need to lose size and toughness?
Got a little crush on, do ya? Eh?
Bad Call

Fort Lee, NJ

#7 Feb 28, 2009
A rational and contrite response by Witt that ought to have bought him a 4 game discount on the 5 game suspension.
champ4

AOL

#8 Feb 28, 2009
i dont think the islanders should paret with witt at all i think it would be a huge mistake.just a litle note the ny islanders could very much be a sold team in a year or so.if that project is not going to happen we have to july there are more things to worry about truly here,if the project does not happen...this owner willnot hesitate to sell the team off.the trades are just a small part of it.the team being sold is worse..
NYRfan

Stamford, CT

#9 Feb 28, 2009
TheMetalChick wrote:
Thats true that he is a physical prescense but would you want to pay him at his salary?

Since: Oct 08

Belleville NJ

#10 Feb 28, 2009
NYRfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats true that he is a physical prescense but would you want to pay him at his salary?
Correct me if I am wrong but, did'nt Witt sign a multy-year deal a couple of years ago, similar to Trent Hunter?

Since: Jun 08

North Babylon

#11 Feb 28, 2009
I applaude the NHL's position on wanting to eliminate elbow's to the head. However, the consistency in determining suspensions is truly lacking. How can you give one players a 2 game ban, another a 5 game ban and expect this to work. How about it is an automatic 3 game ban for any elbow to the head.

As for Witt, I reviewed the hit several times and it looks as though Hagman caught Witt off guard by standing up. It looks as though when Hagman was playing the puck, Witt had originally intedned to hit Hagman and push him down. By Hagman standing up, Witt's momentum allowed little time for him to react accordingly hence a hit to the head. Plus immediately following the hit, Witt went over the Hagman and apologized to him.

And yes Russ, Witt has a 2 yr deal that starts next season.
Mentalchick

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Feb 28, 2009
Effin eh wrote:
<quoted text>
Got a little crush on, do ya? Eh?
She's a stalker. Scary.
NYRfan

Stamford, CT

#13 Feb 28, 2009
Russel Ginart wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct me if I am wrong but, did'nt Witt sign a multy-year deal a couple of years ago, similar to Trent Hunter?

Yeah he did, he is in year 3 of a 5 year deal. He is due 3 mil the next 3 seasons. He has a good veteran prescense and his physical but makes way too much money, if I was a team heading into the playoffs I would take him but the Isles are not and it does not make sense to have somebody at that skill level making so much money.
NYRfan

Stamford, CT

#14 Feb 28, 2009
Russel Ginart wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, LetsGoIsles is right. He signed a new 2 year deal last summer for 6 million.
Clem

AOL

#15 Feb 28, 2009
Campbell--- Campbell--- Campbell-- YOU S***!!!!!!!
Jay

Columbus, OH

#16 Feb 28, 2009
Hate to burst your bubble but Steve Mason has this year's ROY in the bag. He's 24-14-3 with 8 shutouts and posting a 2.14GAA

Okposo will be the Islander's ROY!
Fish R Fried wrote:
With Witt's suspension, it would appear that the Islanders run at the Stanley Cup this year is in doubt. Well, at least Okposo will still be rookie of the year. What, you mean he won't because he stinks? oh.
aka

New York, NY

#17 Feb 28, 2009
TheMetalChick wrote:
While what you say may be true, i believe that the team is going with a "youth" movement for next year, and unloading vets like witt, and guerin are probably justified in their eyes,no to mention it frees up some more money!For what? who knows.
Percy

West Milford, NJ

#18 Mar 1, 2009
Jay wrote:
Hate to burst your bubble but Steve Mason has this year's ROY in the bag. He's 24-14-3 with 8 shutouts and posting a 2.14GAA
Okposo will be the Islander's ROY!
<quoted text>
Well, how about Josh "Beetle Bomb" Bailey or Yanni the Dani! And Gordo for coach of the Year! Let's see you refute that one!
Investigator Maximillian

West Milford, NJ

#19 Mar 1, 2009
NYRfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, LetsGoIsles is right. He signed a new 2 year deal last summer for 6 million.
Trent is really more of a farmer/gatherer than a Hunter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brendan Witt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aaron Portzline looks ahead: New York Islanders (Jun '09) Jun '09 DAC-Islanders 2
News Islanders sign Doug Weight to one-year extension (Apr '09) Apr '09 roger43 31
News WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumble loss (Mar '09) Mar '09 Patience 35
News Islanders power past Wild, 6-2 (Mar '09) Mar '09 Renegade 12
News Streit's play merits Norris Trophy consideration (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tavares09 64
News Isles question calls that stunted their rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 BrkmB 27
News Isles question calls that stunted rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 NYRfan 5
More from around the web