Isles lose in Edmonton, 4-0

Isles lose in Edmonton, 4-0

There are 30 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 8, 2008, titled Isles lose in Edmonton, 4-0. In it, Newsday reports that:

If this was the appetizer for the duel between Rick DiPietro and former Islanders goaltender Roberto Luongo tonight in Vancouver, it wasn't very encouraging for the Isles' franchise player.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bhockey47

Forest Hills, NY

#1 Jan 8, 2008
Absolutely TERRIBLE...there wasn't an Islander on the ice last night who could say he played his heart out...cruising is the word of the night. DP wasn't even in the net...oh he was. WOW...what the hell are you guys waiting for, summer?
Weatherman

Matthews, NC

#2 Jan 8, 2008
bhockey47 wrote:
Absolutely TERRIBLE...there wasn't an Islander on the ice last night who could say he played his heart out...cruising is the word of the night. DP wasn't even in the net...oh he was. WOW...what the hell are you guys waiting for, summer?
It will be here sooner than you think
RobertoIsBetter

Huntington Station, NY

#4 Jan 8, 2008
DP is looking forward to playing against Luongo? HA!

He better play better than he played last night or Luongo will make him look like a complete amateur.
Mike Watt

Chestertown, MD

#5 Jan 8, 2008
DP??? What a overrated joke.
Bring back Eric Fichaud or Tommy Soderstrom.
ZIGGY525

United States

#6 Jan 8, 2008
Mike Watt wrote:
YOU ARE SO RIGHT.
DP IS ALL TALK WITH NO SUBSTANCE.
WELL WE HAVE ONLY 13 MORE YEARS TO DEAL WITH THIS GUY. NOT A BAD DEAL.(SEE CONTRACT WITH YASHIN)
ROCHSTRISLESFAN

Rochester, NY

#7 Jan 8, 2008
WERE YOU GUYS HATING ON DP THE OTHER NIGHT IN COLORADO WHEN HE STOOD ON HIS HEAD AND DID EVERYTHING BUT COME AWAY WITH A WIN? I DON'T THINK YOU CAN BLAME LAST NIGHT ENTIRELY ON HIM.
goislesgo105

AOL

#8 Jan 8, 2008
Look on the bright side. At least Robert Nilsson didn't score three goals!!! This team is SOOOOO mediocore.
RobertoIsBetter

Huntington Station, NY

#9 Jan 8, 2008
ROCHSTRISLESFAN wrote:
WERE YOU GUYS HATING ON DP THE OTHER NIGHT IN COLORADO WHEN HE STOOD ON HIS HEAD AND DID EVERYTHING BUT COME AWAY WITH A WIN? I DON'T THINK YOU CAN BLAME LAST NIGHT ENTIRELY ON HIM.
That's the problem.

Why can't he play well more than 1 or 2 games at a time?
Bender

Valley Stream, NY

#10 Jan 8, 2008
ROCHSTRISLESFAN wrote:
Good point. Had the Isles acctually scored on some of their chances, perhaps the Oilers don't get that rush down the ice and all that momentum.
Rob

Pittsburgh, PA

#11 Jan 8, 2008
Those were NOT soft goals that were let in last night. There may have been 1 that DP should have been counted on to stop. The fourth was the result of a deflection by his own D. It came on a play that resulted from the Isles need to push for extra offense that left them lacking defensively.

The point here is that if DP had been totally amazing last night and only 1 of those goals had gone in then the team still would have lost. Stop blaming 1 guy for the poor play of the team. He was probably their best player last night.

It's the rest of the team, not DP, that better show up to play against Luongo tonight. DP tends to rise to the occasion for goaltender duels but the skaters actually need to score for a change.
isles stink

Uniondale, NY

#12 Jan 8, 2008
dp sux
RobertoIsBetter

Huntington Station, NY

#13 Jan 8, 2008
Rob wrote:
Those were NOT soft goals that were let in last night. There may have been 1 that DP should have been counted on to stop. The fourth was the result of a deflection by his own D. It came on a play that resulted from the Isles need to push for extra offense that left them lacking defensively.
The point here is that if DP had been totally amazing last night and only 1 of those goals had gone in then the team still would have lost. Stop blaming 1 guy for the poor play of the team. He was probably their best player last night.
It's the rest of the team, not DP, that better show up to play against Luongo tonight. DP tends to rise to the occasion for goaltender duels but the skaters actually need to score for a change.
Yeah, those were soft goals, and he was definitely NOT their best player last night.

The first slipped through his pads, and if he had closed his legs quicker he would've had it.

The second slipped in right under his armpit, and, again, if he had closed the gap quicker he would've had it.

The third wasn't terrible, but on a better night he would've had it. The fourth I'll give him, but the first and the second were flat out bad.

You cannot say that he played as well last night compared to the Avs game. No way. There was a very, very noticeable difference.

Again, he's a good goaltender, but he can be inconsistent. Last night, he played bad. Everyone, including me, praises him when he plays well, but people need to hold him accountable when he plays bad.

The whole team, including DP, played poorly last night. If they go into Vancouver playing like that, they are going to get embarrassed.
Rob

Pittsburgh, PA

#14 Jan 8, 2008
RobertoIsBetter wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, those were soft goals, and he was definitely NOT their best player last night.
The first slipped through his pads, and if he had closed his legs quicker he would've had it.
The second slipped in right under his armpit, and, again, if he had closed the gap quicker he would've had it.
The third wasn't terrible, but on a better night he would've had it. The fourth I'll give him, but the first and the second were flat out bad.
You cannot say that he played as well last night compared to the Avs game. No way. There was a very, very noticeable difference.
Again, he's a good goaltender, but he can be inconsistent. Last night, he played bad. Everyone, including me, praises him when he plays well, but people need to hold him accountable when he plays bad.
The whole team, including DP, played poorly last night. If they go into Vancouver playing like that, they are going to get embarrassed.
When I suggested he was the Isles best player last night I wasn't suggesting that he had a great game and certainly wasn't suggesting that he had game like he played in CO. It's just that the team played poorly and all people on this forum can do is blame DP. I actually do think he was probably their best player last night even though it was a sub-par game for him. The team was horrible and there's a relative suck factor.
turnpike lunatic

AOL

#15 Jan 8, 2008
Everone is right....the team played poorly! But for all you defenders, your right he does stand on his head at times....but get off theis elite goalie kick and how S.I. rates him in the top 3! Enough he is an average goalie...the idiot that says his numbers speak highly, last time I looked his GAA avg. is at the 18 slot. This says average to me! His save % is also in that area as well! If this is what we are going to have for the next 15 years...brace yourself for these type of games that have been frequently seen this year! As far as our D goes its terrible! Can someone tell me who our top 4 guys are. Yes Witt does play the body night after night, but thats where it stops. Campoli & Gervais are still finding there groove. Sutton, Myers, and Bergeron you tell me. Now there is no reason to get into our 4 lines of offense, except we have honestly all 3rd line players. Satan and Hunter if you guys think they should stay...I'll turn my tickets in and my cable box for another team...they are useless! What I really see here this year is a see-saw of a few wins here and there and thats it, Again if we get that 8th seed and its Ottawa...guess what...the Summer will be here again soon!
turnpike lunatic

AOL

#16 Jan 8, 2008
Guess who the top two goalies are right now in save % & GAA...its Osgood and Luongo!
florida

Oklahoma City, OK

#17 Jan 8, 2008
ok last year we blamed everything that went wrong with the isles on yashin and his sucky playing,this year we are going to bash DP. come on guys if a goalie has no defense what do you expect?? DP is a great goalie, there are other issues that need to brought up like, no offense you can;t win if you can't score, a go ahead goal is huge in any game. what i am trying to say is don;t just blame one player dp has proven himself in many games, blame to lack of scoring.so blame the offense not the goalies

“Let's go Islanders!”

Since: Nov 07

Huntington, NY

#18 Jan 8, 2008
Mike Watt wrote:
It really doesn't matter that he gave up 4 goals last night. He couldv'e given up 1 goal and they still would have lost. Hell, he couldve pitched a shutout without the Islanders getting 2 points.

Bottom line, if you want to win games, Tim Jackman can't be the only goal scored for your team over a combined 2 games.

Islanders forwards deserve a big portion of the blame. The defense is shoddy, but the forwards really need to work on breaking up the transition game in the offensive and neutral zones. If your opposition can skate in full speed when your defense is still getting set, theres a better chance they're going to have odd-man rushes. On a good night, they score on them.

IslanderMan

Chadds Ford, PA

#19 Jan 8, 2008
Mooooooose wrote:
<quoted text>
It really doesn't matter that he gave up 4 goals last night. He couldv'e given up 1 goal and they still would have lost. Hell, he couldve pitched a shutout without the Islanders getting 2 points.
Bottom line, if you want to win games, Tim Jackman can't be the only goal scored for your team over a combined 2 games.
Islanders forwards deserve a big portion of the blame. The defense is shoddy, but the forwards really need to work on breaking up the transition game in the offensive and neutral zones. If your opposition can skate in full speed when your defense is still getting set, theres a better chance they're going to have odd-man rushes. On a good night, they score on them.
Amen Moose. I'm sick of people doggin DP. The guy shouldn't have to pitch a shutout everytime he takes the ice. I think we all knew the goal scoring would be weak this year, but this is gettin to be ridiculous. We've only topped 3 goals TWICE in the last 11 games. Lets go forwards!! PICK IT UP!!
kingdomkey

New York, NY

#20 Jan 8, 2008
the team seems to get complacent everytime they get on a roll. i think they forget that they do not have a superstar on offense and unless they all play at 110% or more they will not score or win consistantly. it is not enough to just tie or win a few in a row if they want to make the playoffs. they get paid to play and they should go out and play everyday. that is their job, that is what they get paid to do and i as a fan expect and will not accept anything less. my boss doesn't, how about yours? lackluster efforts are getting annoying. you can lose and try but not to try is not acceptable.
RobertoIsBetter

Huntington Station, NY

#21 Jan 8, 2008
Oh, stop. DP isn't being treated unfairly.

Most fans love him to the point where they can't even admit when he lets in a bad goal. People around the league respect him, and announcers are constantly looking for reasons to justify soft goals (oh he must not have seen it; it must have changed direction, etc.)

Of course he doesn't need to have a shutout every night, but he should be playing better than the way he played last night. The rest of the team played poorly too, but that doesn't negate the fact that DP did not have a good outing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brendan Witt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aaron Portzline looks ahead: New York Islanders (Jun '09) Jun '09 DAC-Islanders 2
News Islanders sign Doug Weight to one-year extension (Apr '09) Apr '09 roger43 31
News WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumble loss (Mar '09) Mar '09 Patience 35
News Islanders power past Wild, 6-2 (Mar '09) Mar '09 Renegade 12
News Streit's play merits Norris Trophy consideration (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tavares09 64
News Isles question calls that stunted their rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 BrkmB 27
News Isles question calls that stunted rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 NYRfan 5
More from around the web