Isles defense collapses in third agai...

Isles defense collapses in third against Wild

There are 28 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 20, 2008, titled Isles defense collapses in third against Wild. In it, Newsday reports that:

ST. PAUL, Minn. - One day after defenseman Brendan Witt spoke out about the Islanders' defensive problems, they broke down again in the third period of a 1-all game.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
champ 4

AOL

#21 Dec 20, 2008
john wayne you sound like my dad...
Mike Bossy

Miami, FL

#22 Dec 20, 2008
I wonder what our record would be if Nolan was still coaching the Isles....
Gamehenge

Bronx, NY

#23 Dec 20, 2008
If you really were an Islander fan you'd realize that each year since basically the early 90's (after 93) the organization claims they are going to build from the bottom up and let the youngsters learn to play together. These same 'youngsters' become stars as soon as they leave the Island for dumb trades (Remember Kirk Muller?)..
John Wayne wrote:
I think you're all a bunch of crying pansies. I'm an Islanders fan but I realize this is a 2-3 year endeavour, not a 2 month endeavour. The overspeed system is being used by several NHL teams this year, like Chicago, with success. I know it's not fun to watch them lose but this is exactly what I expected from this team this year. The winning record of early November was a blip on the radar, not the norm. Next year we'll see even more youth on the team and then even more the year after. The team will improve.
Witt should be traded immediately for high draft picks. He's going to create a rift between the players and coach. Sound familiar? Remember Laviolette? Same thing happened because of Peca and in hindsight Peca wasn't worth losing Laviolette. Gordon is a man who knows how to win championships. His resume is just as impressive as Laviolette's before the Isles hired him.
I think the system needs to be tweaked though. Defensively they need to get away from zone style and go to man on man. The blue-liners are left wide open to take shots. Forwards collapse too far down near the goal.
champ4

AOL

#24 Dec 20, 2008
let the chips fall were they may fall..
Hilbert Hears A Who

AOL

#25 Dec 20, 2008
John Tavares & Victor Hedman must be sweating bullets at the thought of either one being drafted by the Islanders.
Esther

Clifton, NJ

#26 Dec 20, 2008
Jaffee must go.
He is a cancer to Isles fans.
What an effin cry baby.
champ4

AOL

#27 Dec 20, 2008
tisk tisk tisk another loss,i cant wach this team no more well we only have guerin left now,way to go gorden snow i never thought id say this but i have lost my patience.cant wait till this season is over im done...i cannnotttt wach this shit any more until they fire to hire im done merry christmas to all of you..... has nothin to do with fan loloyatly i will always be but this game has broke the camels straw......hunter,weight,sutto n who else....lets go giants at least i have something else to root for.....
Battfist

United States

#28 Dec 23, 2008
champ4 wrote:
tisk tisk tisk another loss,i cant wach this team no more well we only have guerin left now,way to go gorden snow i never thought id say this but i have lost my patience.cant wait till this season is over im done...i cannnotttt wach this **** any more until they fire to hire im done merry christmas to all of you..... has nothin to do with fan loloyatly i will always be but this game has broke the camels straw......hunter,weight,sutto n who else....lets go giants at least i have something else to root for.....
Youre proably the same guy asking for Coulghins head last year before the Superbowl run.

Like a fellow Isles fan said-the youth movement wasnt going to happen overnight. A certain degree of patience is needed here. I know its tough to have patience with what us Isles fans have been through the last 10 years or so.
Hey-Snow took a stand at the draft this year-personally it appears we had a good draft. WEight and Strait have been excellent additions. Im not sure why everybody is ready to bury Snow. Granted Snow did hire a coach who relies on a system. In a nutshell that wasnt fair to Gordon or to us fans. The team that Snow already had together-I dnt think half the guys are fit to play Gordons system.
But give it time-let Gordon and Snow try to piece this together.

Maybe I am buying into nonsense...but I have to at least give Gordon a fair chance before I throw him under the bridge.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brendan Witt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aaron Portzline looks ahead: New York Islanders (Jun '09) Jun '09 DAC-Islanders 2
News Islanders sign Doug Weight to one-year extension (Apr '09) Apr '09 roger43 31
News WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumble loss (Mar '09) Mar '09 Patience 35
News Islanders power past Wild, 6-2 (Mar '09) Mar '09 Renegade 12
News Streit's play merits Norris Trophy consideration (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tavares09 64
News Isles question calls that stunted their rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 BrkmB 27
News Isles question calls that stunted rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 NYRfan 5
More from around the web