Isles defense collapses in third agai...

Isles defense collapses in third against Wild

There are 28 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 20, 2008, titled Isles defense collapses in third against Wild. In it, Newsday reports that:

ST. PAUL, Minn. - One day after defenseman Brendan Witt spoke out about the Islanders' defensive problems, they broke down again in the third period of a 1-all game.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
enough BS

New York, NY

#1 Dec 20, 2008
And the beat [down] goes on, the beat [down] goes on!
Mike Bossy

Miami, FL

#2 Dec 20, 2008
enough BS wrote:
And the beat [down] goes on, the beat [down] goes on!
All I want for christmas is an Islanders win.......
ok, i'll wish for something more realistic. like winning the lottery, or a playboy bunny under my christmas tree!
David Volek

Wellfleet, MA

#3 Dec 20, 2008
So the team looses Andy Sutton in the first period, putting them down a man. And throughout the game the Islanders played with two men down because Mitch Fritz sat the f-ing bench the whole time?

The Islanders don't even have enough talent to fill all 20 spots in their starting lineup?

Come on.
ha ha ha

Lodi, NJ

#4 Dec 20, 2008
Time to think about bringing avery and shanahan over here. We have the cap room. Oh and Gordons reason for sitting Fritz was because they (the wild) were not running any of the players. hmmm. One player sits means another player has to pick up the slack. Message to Witt - You must love parades, since you just stand their watching people skate by you. Maybe if you dropped the gloves and showed some heart i might respect you as a player. Keep up the great work. -16
Just Lose

Bayside, NY

#5 Dec 20, 2008
Get the #1.
champ 4

AOL

#6 Dec 20, 2008
this team broke down way before 3rd period its the truth the system stinks..... and so does the coach,if they fire this coach and bring someonelse in i bet the team would win 10 in a row its so obvious ive been tellin you guys all along,it the system wowo it took until now to see it oh well what to do now better luck next year..im 100% behing brendon witt.... to many injuries...from this system im sorry hes got them skating so hard in practice too.and in the game they have no legs left.... they are truly excausted and the players are finially thank god... startin to relize it.... fire snow bring back nolan at least nolan was a simple game and we went to the playoffs with him...... until something changers... im done... the truth lies here and its not workin so how do you mend it i think we all know....
Battfist

United States

#7 Dec 20, 2008
champ 4 wrote:
this team broke down way before 3rd period its the truth the system stinks..... and so does the coach,if they fire this coach and bring someonelse in i bet the team would win 10 in a row its so obvious ive been tellin you guys all along,it the system wowo it took until now to see it oh well what to do now better luck next year..im 100% behing brendon witt.... to many injuries...from this system im sorry hes got them skating so hard in practice too.and in the game they have no legs left.... they are truly excausted and the players are finially thank god... startin to relize it.... fire snow bring back nolan at least nolan was a simple game and we went to the playoffs with him...... until something changers... im done... the truth lies here and its not workin so how do you mend it i think we all know....
So you were content every year fighting for the 8th playoff spot?

Its not the system it is the players...like the other guy said-show some heart Witt!
Dr Phil

AOL

#8 Dec 20, 2008
Battfist wrote:
<quoted text>
So you were content every year fighting for the 8th playoff spot?
Its not the system it is the players...like the other guy said-show some heart Witt!
Hey Batfist, say hello to Alice and the Tin Man when you see them. You're one egg short of a dozen. It is THE SYSTEM and it stinks. Do you see any other team playing this crazy system? Do we have the players to make the playoffs? NO! But we do have the players, playing normal hockey that all the other teams play, to at least make the games competitive. I don't see all the other coaches busting down Gordon's door to learn his system. Basically, it a system that would not work even if you had the 79-80 Islanders playing it. Learn something about hockey before running your mouth off in defense of an incompetent coach and gm. Someone said the other day that if Gordon was so great, why didn't the Bruins make him their coach when the job was open. He's reached his level of incompetence and is a AHL coach and it's at that level where he belongs. Even Okposo and Bailey can't handle this system and they stunk last night.Witt said it all.
bhockey47

Staten Island, NY

#9 Dec 20, 2008
In my opinion it is no longer about the once proud New York Islanders and us, the fans, it is about Wang's Lighthouse project. That's where he focus is, that's where his money will be. The Islanders pride of days past, the Gillies, Nystrom, Bossy, Trot, Smith, Tonelli, Borne, Morrow, Potvin, Sutter's and so on no longer exists. The Islanders are being used as pawns to get Wang his project, and then and only then, he'll have his real payday, and the team will be shipped off to somewhere else. This is a real estate deal for Wang, not a once proud sports franchise.
ThenewislesGM

Pelham, NY

#10 Dec 20, 2008
I like how all night last night, both Bill Jaffe and Howie Rose both talked about how the coach of Minnesota Wild transformed MAB's game into a more solid defenseman. Isn't it funny how a coach can get a player to overachieve. Wait a minute, I'm reminded by another coach that did that. Oh yea...Ted Nolan. Didn't he have over a .500 record in his 2 year stint with the team? Yes, that's right. Wasn't Dubie in net for a good portion of it. Didn't Dubie bring us to the playoff's in Nolans first year because of DiPietro's antics that sidelines him in Montreal that one game. Why do we get rid of talent and take scraps. I like the youth movement. I believe it will be better off in the long run. However, I am still mind boggled how Neil Smith get's fired who brought us Witt and drafted Okposo and we fire a coach that did everything he possible could with the team he was given by Garth Snow for the most part.

Just another quick note. Isn't it funny how Jeff Tambilini had to get sent to the minors for a conditioning stint because he didn't do a thing in the NHL. Again, reminded by another wise statement Coach Ted Nolan said, "Jeff is just not ready to play in the NHL"..."Sometimes it just takes longer for certain players to develop". He must be sitting on his couch laughing how everything he said all came true this year, even when he's not in the picture. So who should really go? Snow,Gordon. Let's be real....the real problem here is Snow. Snow must Go! I will be chanting that at every game from now on. Who's with me?
Knick Fan

Stratford, CT

#11 Dec 20, 2008
I did not ever think I would see a franchise more screwed up then the Knicks. The Knicks finally seem like they have a plan and even though they are not very good the builing still has fannies in the seats. I like the Isles but do they have anything going for them right now? Let us be realistic.
champ 4

AOL

#12 Dec 20, 2008
thank you dr phil im glad you agree please let the ny islanders play fun simple old fashiond hockey and you will see a handful of wins.....
Gamehenge

Bronx, NY

#13 Dec 20, 2008
I had more fun watching the snow come down yesterday than watching any Islander game this year.
champ 4

AOL

#14 Dec 20, 2008
battfist,i never said i was happy in the playoff spot but we made it... this year were not going to make it do you relize that!!!!! are you clueless how much hockey do you really no? it has nothin to do with a playoff spot if this keeps up forget it.... something has to change its not workin so they need!!!!!! to f;.'.' change it.....!!!!inot happy with anything that going on this year did ya see the back of newsday sytem failed that it!!!!!!!! as i repeat until this changes you will not see any wins ..!! its that simple. this has to b e fixed.i say it again when stan fischer was asked about the system,he quoted :i didnt say i liked it:that does tell me something.. that i already new its not the ahl. it has nothin to do with our team i think we have a good team if all were helathy to comete we wouldnt be in this postion. there were a handful of comment last night that have been wiped out now everone is agreeing its the system.and everone is in our pants to plainley put it they wait they let us think weve one then they destroy the system......
champ 4

AOL

#15 Dec 20, 2008
yes snow and gorden must go again i quote!!! if this was the ny rangers org both snow and gorden would be shoveling snow you gave them a good shot nothin is being done worse then ever at least the economy has a plan what the hell do we have tired of waiting..if i could get on aplane and fly to ny right now id be all in there business..... i dont even want to wacth the game tonight and thats real sad.... lets go giants......
champ 4

AOL

#16 Dec 20, 2008
system failure okey well how do we savage this? of what we have left? that is my question? feel free?
champ 4

AOL

#17 Dec 20, 2008
if i was charlie right this second,i would bring in denis potvin as gm.and duane sutter as coach. and charles will not sell this team when the light house project gets built you will see a stanley cup wining team....he will spend money ....
bhockey47

Staten Island, NY

#18 Dec 20, 2008
Champ...if I see Lord Stanley on Long Island in my lifetime under the Wang ownership,,,I'll buy the champagne...just let me know where to send it...
champ 4 wrote:
if i was charlie right this second,i would bring in denis potvin as gm.and duane sutter as coach. and charles will not sell this team when the light house project gets built you will see a stanley cup wining team....he will spend money ....
champ 4

AOL

#19 Dec 20, 2008
bhockey47,nothin is inpossible..but at this years expense,forget it...lol
John Wayne

North Oxford, MA

#20 Dec 20, 2008
I think you're all a bunch of crying pansies. I'm an Islanders fan but I realize this is a 2-3 year endeavour, not a 2 month endeavour. The overspeed system is being used by several NHL teams this year, like Chicago, with success. I know it's not fun to watch them lose but this is exactly what I expected from this team this year. The winning record of early November was a blip on the radar, not the norm. Next year we'll see even more youth on the team and then even more the year after. The team will improve.

Witt should be traded immediately for high draft picks. He's going to create a rift between the players and coach. Sound familiar? Remember Laviolette? Same thing happened because of Peca and in hindsight Peca wasn't worth losing Laviolette. Gordon is a man who knows how to win championships. His resume is just as impressive as Laviolette's before the Isles hired him.

I think the system needs to be tweaked though. Defensively they need to get away from zone style and go to man on man. The blue-liners are left wide open to take shots. Forwards collapse too far down near the goal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brendan Witt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aaron Portzline looks ahead: New York Islanders (Jun '09) Jun '09 DAC-Islanders 2
News Islanders sign Doug Weight to one-year extension (Apr '09) Apr '09 roger43 31
News WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumble loss (Mar '09) Mar '09 Patience 35
News Islanders power past Wild, 6-2 (Mar '09) Mar '09 Renegade 12
News Streit's play merits Norris Trophy consideration (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tavares09 64
News Isles question calls that stunted their rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 BrkmB 27
News Isles question calls that stunted rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 NYRfan 5
More from around the web