Looking for offense, Isles move Okpos...

Looking for offense, Isles move Okposo to top line

There are 30 comments on the Newsday story from Nov 3, 2008, titled Looking for offense, Isles move Okposo to top line. In it, Newsday reports that:

Faced with playing without injured goaltender Rick DiPietro for up to six weeks, Islanders coach Scott Gordon challenged his team on a number of fronts yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Whaddya know

Medford, NY

#22 Nov 3, 2008
I've been an Islander fan for as long as I can remember (I'm 31), but I renounced my Isles fan-ship the day they signed DiPietro to that deal. I had been teetering on the brink anyway, but when you figure out that there's a madman at the helm, you jump ship.
1. His nickname has always been Rico! Only stupid Islander fans/PR people could come up with a nickname like DP!!!
2. Signing a goaltender until he's 40??? Most SKATERS don't make it that long and they do not put the strain on their bodies that goaltenders do, and they can bluff it out until they are 40. Goalies cannot.
3. DiPietro is not that good in the first place. He is above average, but I do NOT see him as an elite goaltender in the league and, again, not worthy of that type of contract.
It's all rearing it's ugly head, reassuring me that I made the right decision...
NYRfan

Wallkill, NY

#23 Nov 3, 2008
FLAJEFF wrote:
I sure hope this Tavares kid is as good as they say. As pathetic as it sounds, any real Islander fan should be rooting for Columbus tonight. As much as I hate seeing the product on the ice, you're almost better off being truly awful than mediocre.
The perfect example is The Atlanta Hawks in the Dominique Wilkins era. Every year it seemed they were right around .500 and always picked 15th, 16th and never got any better. Look at the Tampa Rays. They drafted high for several years, drafted well and are now bearing the fruits. Of course it helps if you don't have a knucklehead making the draft day decisions, but if the Islanders get the first pick, I can't imagine Snow being that dumb.(could he be?)
Tavares is going to be the real deal (hes supposed to do better than Crosby is at that level), so is this kid Hedman from Sweden who is going to be a real good defensman. two solid picks, there both gonna be top two. does not matter where isles finsih though, they could be in last place at seasons end and not even choose in the top 5
NYRfan

Wallkill, NY

#24 Nov 3, 2008
Mike F wrote:
Trade Weight now while he's worth something (not 5th round picks), but some team's "prospect" b/c we obviously can't judge amateur talent.
Only question to ask is - "who do we pick with the #1 pick this year".
Put a fork in 'em, shine up the Titleists early this year boys...
the bottom 5 teams have the same chance of getting the first pick pretty much. it is possible the isles dont even get a top 5 pick
hopeless islanderfan

Farmington, MI

#25 Nov 3, 2008
Entertainment Tonight is reporting that Rick DiPietro will be starring as himself in the new Lighthouse Productions re-make of the classic: "The Boy In The Plastic Bubble".
Frank Beans

Wyandanch, NY

#26 Nov 3, 2008
NYRfan wrote:
<quoted text>
the bottom 5 teams have the same chance of getting the first pick pretty much. it is possible the isles dont even get a top 5 pick
Not quite. It is weighted, but I could see the Isles having the worst record and not getting Tavares. They are cursed after taking DP with their no. 1 pick.
Albuquerque Mike

AOL

#27 Nov 3, 2008
Buy DP out and promote him to cotton candy vendor. He's become the 200 lb gorilla on the backs of the Islander's organization. Snow is the 10 lb parrot on the shoulder of Wang. Gordon is a pimple on Snow's butt.
Dr Phil

AOL

#28 Nov 3, 2008
Frank Beans wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite. It is weighted, but I could see the Isles having the worst record and not getting Tavares. They are cursed after taking DP with their no. 1 pick.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the worst team gets 5 balls in the lottery, the second worst team get's 4 balls and so on until the fifth worst team get only one ball.
mike Watt

Philadelphia, PA

#29 Nov 3, 2008
FLAJEFF wrote:
I sure hope this Tavares kid is as good as they say. As pathetic as it sounds, any real Islander fan should be rooting for Columbus tonight. As much as I hate seeing the product on the ice, you're almost better off being truly awful than mediocre.
The perfect example is The Atlanta Hawks in the Dominique Wilkins era.
Every year it seemed they were right around .500 and always picked 15th, 16th and never got any better. Look at the Tampa Rays. They drafted high for several years, drafted well and are now bearing the fruits. Of course it helps if you don't have a knucklehead making the draft day decisions, but if the Islanders get the first pick, I can't imagine Snow being that dumb.(could he be?)
The Ises will probably draft a Goalie again
wolf

Clifton, NJ

#30 Nov 3, 2008
great game.
wolf

Clifton, NJ

#31 Nov 3, 2008
can someone tell Jaffee that Columbus has a better record than the Isles.
They were lucky to win this game.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brendan Witt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aaron Portzline looks ahead: New York Islanders (Jun '09) Jun '09 DAC-Islanders 2
News Islanders sign Doug Weight to one-year extension (Apr '09) Apr '09 roger43 31
News WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumble loss (Mar '09) Mar '09 Patience 35
News Islanders power past Wild, 6-2 (Mar '09) Mar '09 Renegade 12
News Streit's play merits Norris Trophy consideration (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tavares09 64
News Isles question calls that stunted their rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 BrkmB 27
News Isles question calls that stunted rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 NYRfan 5
More from around the web