Looking for offense, Isles move Okpos...

Looking for offense, Isles move Okposo to top line

There are 30 comments on the Newsday story from Nov 3, 2008, titled Looking for offense, Isles move Okposo to top line. In it, Newsday reports that:

Faced with playing without injured goaltender Rick DiPietro for up to six weeks, Islanders coach Scott Gordon challenged his team on a number of fronts yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bobbygarz

AOL

#1 Nov 3, 2008
DUBIE ! DUBIE ! DUBIE ! Dubie, come back !!!
Stu Pidasso

Hauppauge, NY

#2 Nov 3, 2008
"We're no different from the New Jersey Devils losing Marty Brodeur."

Ohhhh haa haa ha ha ohhh ho ho ha ha ha ha DiPietro = Brodeur Yeah O.K. Where's that Kool Aid!
wolf

Bronx, NY

#3 Nov 3, 2008
like I said before, the guy is delusional.
George S

Oakville, Canada

#4 Nov 3, 2008
The pitchfork is in. This team is done like dinner. Snowjob is already making plans to trade down the number one draft pick next year into the second round. Wong will save even more dough that he can use to hire another commentator for the Mandarin broadcast. Pass me the Bourbon Teddy.
martin

Denville, NJ

#5 Nov 3, 2008
Like moving up a no talent to the first line on a team devoid of any skill players is some sort of accomplishment.

This is news? C'mon Newsday do some real reporting and find out how the owners can put such a poor product on the ice.
But I see the ISles actually advertise with Newsday so you losers are just along for the ride.
martin

Denville, NJ

#6 Nov 3, 2008
Seriously, are the Isles hiring scabs? Do they think a lockout is on?

I feel like I'm watching the hockey version of that movie
The Replacements.

I keep waiting for Shane Falco to get on the ice.

The team is bad, 85% of the roster is these guys, scrubs who nobody wants.:

"Yann Danis made his first NHL start in goal in three years against his former team from Montreal."
Busey

Melville, NY

#7 Nov 3, 2008
martin wrote:
Seriously, are the Isles hiring scabs? Do they think a lockout is on?
I feel like I'm watching the hockey version of that movie
The Replacements.
I keep waiting for Shane Falco to get on the ice.
The team is bad, 85% of the roster is these guys, scrubs who nobody wants.:
"Yann Danis made his first NHL start in goal in three years against his former team from Montreal."
This was funny the first time you posted it.
Albuquerque Mike

AOL

#8 Nov 3, 2008
Memo to "Bozo the Clown" Snow: Satan now has six (6) goals. All Okposo is going to do is screw up Guerin and Weight. Anybody hear a rumor about Dustin Brown coming to the Islanders from the Kings in a three team trade? Saw it on Hockeybuzz.com
FLAJEFF

Dayton, OH

#9 Nov 3, 2008
I sure hope this Tavares kid is as good as they say. As pathetic as it sounds, any real Islander fan should be rooting for Columbus tonight. As much as I hate seeing the product on the ice, you're almost better off being truly awful than mediocre.
The perfect example is The Atlanta Hawks in the Dominique Wilkins era. Every year it seemed they were right around .500 and always picked 15th, 16th and never got any better. Look at the Tampa Rays. They drafted high for several years, drafted well and are now bearing the fruits. Of course it helps if you don't have a knucklehead making the draft day decisions, but if the Islanders get the first pick, I can't imagine Snow being that dumb.(could he be?)
Isles fan in Georgia

Newnan, GA

#10 Nov 3, 2008
No offense to Okposo, but eh... unless he's the second coming of Mike Bossy, Bryan Trottier and Clark Gillies combined, it ain't going to matter. This team stinks. Again, this is management's ****bomb, led by Wang himself. Remember when John Pickett was our problem. Dear God, I WISH for those days back. Don't blame the Coliseum. it AIN'T the building. Example: Pittsburgh. When you draft right and stick to your guns, there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Mike F

New York, NY

#11 Nov 3, 2008
Trade Weight now while he's worth something (not 5th round picks), but some team's "prospect" b/c we obviously can't judge amateur talent.

Only question to ask is - "who do we pick with the #1 pick this year".

Put a fork in 'em, shine up the Titleists early this year boys...

“It might have been !!!”

Since: Aug 07

F&P City

#12 Nov 3, 2008
I'd be more concerned about the Islanders fourth line.
lifan

South Ozone Park, NY

#13 Nov 3, 2008
FLAJEFF wrote:
I sure hope this Tavares kid is as good as they say. As pathetic as it sounds, any real Islander fan should be rooting for Columbus tonight. As much as I hate seeing the product on the ice, you're almost better off being truly awful than mediocre.
The perfect example is The Atlanta Hawks in the Dominique Wilkins era. Every year it seemed they were right around .500 and always picked 15th, 16th and never got any better. Look at the Tampa Rays. They drafted high for several years, drafted well and are now bearing the fruits. Of course it helps if you don't have a knucklehead making the draft day decisions, but if the Islanders get the first pick, I can't imagine Snow being that dumb.(could he be?)
YES
Coz

Manassas, VA

#14 Nov 3, 2008
Hey give the kid a chance we cant do any worse. Then when he gets better snow will trade him away to another team. And like all ex-isles he will have an outstanding career because he got the experience here. Someone better tell Gordon its not offense we need its defense. A blown three goal lead says your defense sucks!
Wolf

United States

#15 Nov 3, 2008
wolf wrote:
like I said before, the guy is delusional.
Like I said before, your delusional for calling yourself Wolf.
I am the real Wolf.
LETS GO ISLANDERS!!!
Nick Eman

Hawkesbury, Canada

#16 Nov 3, 2008
Why not give Okposos a chance...I mean Ted Nolan supposedly got fired because he was anti-young player yet Weight and Guerin are currently on the number 1 line? How is that any different than what Nolan would have done?

Is the Islanders are going to suck anyways, why give valuable development ice time to players way past their prime?
wolf

Bronx, NY

#18 Nov 3, 2008
Getting back to talking hockey, oh wait,hey the real Wolf, you didn't make fun of a whole town. Your slipping. hahaha

Gordon needs D right now.
Reason being
1. starting goalie is injured, again.
2. top D men
Witt
Martinek
defence Scotty Boy. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
This team is screwed as long as Wang and Snow are here.
He did Neil Smith a huge favor. And the smarteset of all was LaFontaine bailing when he saw what was going on.
Sims is an embarrasment wearing #16.
DP give 39 to Weight now being you won't be playing. You should have give it up any way out of respect but your too effin selfish.
FLAJEFF

Dayton, OH

#19 Nov 3, 2008
I never understood the Weight signing. He's been a great player, but at 38 where are we going with him? I understand you can't dress 18 kids. You have to have some veteran leadership. maybe a couple of kid lines,(Okposo, Franz,Tamby)(Baily, Bergy, Hunter) and a couple of vet lines. Or mix and match. I don't know, it's such an odd mix. As I said earlier, if we're gonna suck, let's completely suck. All these injuries may be a blessing in the long run. It forces the Isles to give large minutes to the kids and see what they have. Plus, it's helping solidify our position in the Tavares sweepstakes.
nightfly

Edison, NJ

#20 Nov 3, 2008
"We're no different from the New Jersey Devils losing Marty Brodeur."

Except that the Devils have Parise, Elias, Gionta, Zajac, Madden ... To say nothing of Lou Lamoriello.

The Isles have two second lines and two fourth lines. Somewhere along the way they decided that they hate goal scoring. Streit may lead the team at the end of the year...
wolf

Bronx, NY

#21 Nov 3, 2008
George S wrote:
The pitchfork is in. This team is done like dinner. Snowjob is already making plans to trade down the number one draft pick next year into the second round. Wong will save even more dough that he can use to hire another commentator for the Mandarin broadcast. Pass me the Bourbon Teddy.
I was thinking if DP was done, they would probably make him an announcer.
Just think him and Jaffee.OMG

Or they will give him some big shot job title, remember he is Wangs boy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brendan Witt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aaron Portzline looks ahead: New York Islanders (Jun '09) Jun '09 DAC-Islanders 2
News Islanders sign Doug Weight to one-year extension (Apr '09) Apr '09 roger43 31
News WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumble loss (Mar '09) Mar '09 Patience 35
News Islanders power past Wild, 6-2 (Mar '09) Mar '09 Renegade 12
News Streit's play merits Norris Trophy consideration (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tavares09 64
News Isles question calls that stunted their rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 BrkmB 27
News Isles question calls that stunted rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 NYRfan 5
More from around the web