Franchise-building should begin with ...

Franchise-building should begin with defense

There are 1 comment on the Newsday story from Feb 7, 2009, titled Franchise-building should begin with defense. In it, Newsday reports that:

If it were up to us to build a hockey franchise, most of us would consider it a no-brainer by starting it with a big scorer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

#1 Feb 7, 2009
I have to agree that a solid D man is the cornerstone to a successful team...and nobody has been better than Lidstrum...but don't count Stamkos out just yet...he was far and away the best player available...although some of the D drafted are looking good, they are in a much better situations with less expectations and getting the time to play...when Tampa drafted Stamkos they still had Boyle...I would not place the blame on the kid but on the organization as they have made a circus out of the team this year... Ovechkin did not play in his draft year (maybe another year of junior helps).... Stamkos will be a star in the league soon, he is too good not to be, in spite of how he is being developed...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brendan Witt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aaron Portzline looks ahead: New York Islanders (Jun '09) Jun '09 DAC-Islanders 2
News Islanders sign Doug Weight to one-year extension (Apr '09) Apr '09 roger43 31
News WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumble loss (Mar '09) Mar '09 Patience 35
News Islanders power past Wild, 6-2 (Mar '09) Mar '09 Renegade 12
News Streit's play merits Norris Trophy consideration (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tavares09 64
News Isles question calls that stunted their rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 BrkmB 27
News Isles question calls that stunted rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 NYRfan 5