Islanders sign Doug Weight to one-yea...

Islanders sign Doug Weight to one-year extension

There are 31 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 7, 2009, titled Islanders sign Doug Weight to one-year extension. In it, Newsday reports that:

You're as old as you feel, and 38-year-old Doug Weight said today that he still feels "like a young man" after signing a one-year contract extension with the Islanders.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Busey

Melville, NY

#21 Apr 9, 2009
-BDIS- wrote:
<quoted text>
technically yes..
but lets not live in fantasy land. they have zero chance. if youre a legit realistic rags fan you know they arent winnign squat this year with that team
You are prob right... even if the odds are 1000-1... I'd rather go with that

“Hoping LI moves past the 70's”

Since: Feb 08

Long Island

#22 Apr 9, 2009
Battbird wrote:
Kudos to all for signing da geezer Dougie Weight. This dude is like 200 years old. Sounds like The Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz when he skates. Team him up with Bailey and The Wrecker. He, He. Islanders will be last again next year. I cannot wait.
Why was it perfectly fine for you guys to have Shanahan last year but when the Isles have Doug next year (who is younger than Shanny FYI) its not? Give us a break with this double standard BS. When it comes to proven players like Weight (AND Shanahan) who still have something left to offer it is not a 'joke' to give them a reasonable 1y contract- it is a logical thing for any team to do. Do you actually believe that another team would not have given Doug what the Isles gave him??? I think he might have even been able to get more- not yearwise, but salarywise.

Long Island

#23 Apr 9, 2009
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
You are prob right... even if the odds are 1000-1... I'd rather go with that
Understandable.
The Isles have been in the same spot the Rangers are in now 4 out of the last 6 seasons, so I know what youre saying. But honestly, the Rangers have been nothing but a 500 team for the last what- 60 something games?(The Isles have been a 500 team for the last 40 something games so I know how that feels too.)

In all fairness, the Rangers would have to behave like a totally different team if they want to accomplish anything in the playoffs. Time will tell- and the time is drawing near.
Effigy of the Forgotten

United States

#24 Apr 9, 2009
TheMetalChick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why was it perfectly fine for you guys to have Shanahan last year but when the Isles have Doug next year (who is younger than Shanny FYI) its not? Give us a break with this double standard BS. When it comes to proven players like Weight (AND Shanahan) who still have something left to offer it is not a 'joke' to give them a reasonable 1y contract- it is a logical thing for any team to do. Do you actually believe that another team would not have given Doug what the Isles gave him??? I think he might have even been able to get more- not yearwise, but salarywise.
I think it's a smart move by the Isles. I've got nothing against it.
Busey

Melville, NY

#25 Apr 9, 2009
TheMetalChick wrote:
<quoted text>
Understandable.
The Isles have been in the same spot the Rangers are in now 4 out of the last 6 seasons, so I know what youre saying. But honestly, the Rangers have been nothing but a 500 team for the last what- 60 something games?(The Isles have been a 500 team for the last 40 something games so I know how that feels too.)
In all fairness, the Rangers would have to behave like a totally different team if they want to accomplish anything in the playoffs. Time will tell- and the time is drawing near.
I agree...but you know that a hot goalie can take you to a Cup... that is what gives every team a chance. And is what has held back teams like Wash and Philly in the playoffs

Long Island

#26 Apr 9, 2009
Effigy of the Forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's a smart move by the Isles. I've got nothing against it.
Yeah well you werent making inane comments like that Battbird person.

Im really happy with this move. But as much as I love the guy I would have been mad if he had a 2-3y contract... unfortunately when a guy does lose 'it', it can go without warning and pretty much all at once (cough Satan cough) So, a 1y suits me just fine. If Doug has another great year next season, who knows? Either way, they have a good guy for next season- and time will tell what the future holds for him- and the Isles.

Long Island

#27 Apr 9, 2009
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree...but you know that a hot goalie can take you to a Cup... that is what gives every team a chance. And is what has held back teams like Wash and Philly in the playoffs
Yup. The Rangers are sqarely on Henriks back right now, there is no question about that. But as good of a goalie as he is (and he is) carrying a team throughout the entire playoffs is different than just being solid and carrying them through particular games or being the big hero on certain nights. Some of the other players are going to have to step up bigtime and not expect Lundqvist to pull it all off. Its not like the Rangers cant do that, they just havent done it consistently.
Battfist

United States

#28 Apr 10, 2009
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
NYRs have the goalie. The question is-how much gas is left in the tank? They been played hard the last couple of weeks.
Busey

Melville, NY

#29 Apr 10, 2009
Battfist wrote:
<quoted text>
NYRs have the goalie. The question is-how much gas is left in the tank? They been played hard the last couple of weeks.
Totally agree...that could be said for the entire roster with Tortorellas style..

I guess we'll see...

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

#30 Apr 13, 2009
TheMetalChick wrote:
<quoted text>
Understandable.
.500 in the last 40 games? how does that math work?

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

#31 Apr 13, 2009
The Isles went 14-26 in their last 40 games. that's a smidge above .250

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brendan Witt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aaron Portzline looks ahead: New York Islanders (Jun '09) Jun '09 DAC-Islanders 2
News WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumble loss (Mar '09) Mar '09 Patience 35
News Islanders power past Wild, 6-2 (Mar '09) Mar '09 Renegade 12
News Streit's play merits Norris Trophy consideration (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tavares09 64
News Isles question calls that stunted their rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 BrkmB 27
News Isles question calls that stunted rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 NYRfan 5
News Isles fall short after a bad start (Mar '09) Mar '09 The Village Idiot 6
More from around the web