Islanders sign Doug Weight to one-yea...

Islanders sign Doug Weight to one-year extension

There are 31 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 7, 2009, titled Islanders sign Doug Weight to one-year extension. In it, Newsday reports that:

You're as old as you feel, and 38-year-old Doug Weight said today that he still feels "like a young man" after signing a one-year contract extension with the Islanders.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Islander Rich

Flushing, NY

#1 Apr 7, 2009
Good to see one of the good guys sticking around for another year.Doug has had a renissance with Isles and gives us some much needed elder leadership,good to see Snow finally got one right.

“Lovely year for a Guinness”

Since: Dec 07

Daytona Beach

#2 Apr 7, 2009
Pation !!!
Battfist

Columbus, OH

#3 Apr 7, 2009
Great news.
Islander Rich-Snow has made a few other right moves...sigining of Streit...loaded with draft picks this year.
trotts

United States

#4 Apr 7, 2009
The islanders need to draft Tavares and aquire a few free agents. Then can we be a plyoff team again. No way this team makes the playoffs even if healthy next year.
MSG

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Apr 7, 2009
First class gentleman. Tavares or Hedman's new mentor, just like Crash Davis.
Averys Awesome

East Setauket, NY

#6 Apr 7, 2009
What a stupid move by the Islanders. How could you sign a player who is going to be collecting social security next season.

I guess the circus continues over at that disgrace of a hockey team.

Showing once again that a back up goalie can not run a team.....lol.
Busey

Melville, NY

#7 Apr 7, 2009
Doug Weight is a class act.
I'd like to see him go out with one more Cup..

Hopefully the Isles will do the right thing and trade him to a contender at the deadline next year. Also helping themselves by getting a few more picks.
Jason

Plainview, NY

#8 Apr 7, 2009
Who is Weight kidding when Weight said the Islanders have a shot at the playoffs next year? I really like that Weight was resigned but until the organization stops resigning third and fourth line players like Andy Hilbert and Nate Thompson, this team will be in the basement of one of the better divisions in hockey.
Battbird

West Milford, NJ

#9 Apr 7, 2009
Kudos to all for signing da geezer Dougie Weight. This dude is like 200 years old. Sounds like The Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz when he skates. Team him up with Bailey and The Wrecker. He, He. Islanders will be last again next year. I cannot wait.
Kevin

Baldwin, NY

#10 Apr 7, 2009
"Circus" and "Disgrace"...Good choice of words from someone who goes by the name "Avery's Awesome". Another real hockey fan.

Why don't you take pride in some classy Rangers. Richter, Leetch, Graves. Even Lundquist or Drury. No, you choose Avery.

“Hoping LI moves past the 70's”

Since: Feb 08

Long Island

#11 Apr 8, 2009
Busey wrote:
Doug Weight is a class act.
I'd like to see him go out with one more Cup..
Hopefully the Isles will do the right thing and trade him to a contender at the deadline next year. Also helping themselves by getting a few more picks.
Indeed he is.

As far as trading him, I think that they should show respect to him and do what he wants... if he wants to go to a contender, then trade him- and get something great forhim. But if he wants to stay, then keep him and enjoy haveing a class act like Doug Weight for as long as possible. Thats how I see it, anyway.

I am thrilled that Doug will be here again next season.
Averys Awesome

East Setauket, NY

#12 Apr 8, 2009
Kevin wrote:
"Circus" and "Disgrace"...Good choice of words from someone who goes by the name "Avery's Awesome". Another real hockey fan.
Why don't you take pride in some classy Rangers. Richter, Leetch, Graves. Even Lundquist or Drury. No, you choose Avery.
I can do whatever i want and guess what i will be watching the rangers in the playoffs and the islanders will be moving far away.
Horatio Worthington Smith

AOL

#13 Apr 8, 2009
Averys Awesome wrote:
<quoted text>
I can do whatever i want and guess what i will be watching the rangers in the playoffs and the islanders will be moving far away.
Yeah,
one round and out.You are a sorry little man.
Busey

Melville, NY

#14 Apr 8, 2009
Horatio Worthington Smith wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah,
one round and out.You are a sorry little man.
Probably... maybe not, but probably..

Fact is, even their small shot at going to the final is better than the Isles odds..which are 0.

Honestly, would you rather have low odds or no odds?
Battfist

Columbus, OH

#15 Apr 9, 2009
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably... maybe not, but probably..
Fact is, even their small shot at going to the final is better than the Isles odds..which are 0.
Honestly, would you rather have low odds or no odds?
we have good odds at landing the 1st or second pick....
Busey

Melville, NY

#16 Apr 9, 2009
Battfist wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah..and.....

So one top prospect and a team of garbage makes you an instant contender?

Get a goaltender first

“"Sure thing, giant beer!"”

Since: Jan 08

Sunnyside

#17 Apr 9, 2009
Battfist wrote:
<quoted text>
Busey is an angry lil rags fan.. his life sux so all he has to get by is pick on isles..

Btw you got 0 chance of making finals.
Effigy of the Forgotten

United States

#18 Apr 9, 2009
Actually, if the Rangers get in, they have a 1 in 16 chance of making the finals.

“"Sure thing, giant beer!"”

Since: Jan 08

Sunnyside

#19 Apr 9, 2009
Effigy of the Forgotten wrote:
Actually, if the Rangers get in, they have a 1 in 16 chance of making the finals.
technically yes..

but lets not live in fantasy land. they have zero chance. if youre a legit realistic rags fan you know they arent winnign squat this year with that team
Battfist

Columbus, OH

#20 Apr 9, 2009
Effigy of the Forgotten wrote:
lol...true...but funny.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brendan Witt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aaron Portzline looks ahead: New York Islanders (Jun '09) Jun '09 DAC-Islanders 2
News WILD 6, ISLANDERS 2: A rough and tumble loss (Mar '09) Mar '09 Patience 35
News Islanders power past Wild, 6-2 (Mar '09) Mar '09 Renegade 12
News Streit's play merits Norris Trophy consideration (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tavares09 64
News Isles question calls that stunted their rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 BrkmB 27
News Isles question calls that stunted rally (Mar '09) Mar '09 NYRfan 5
News Isles fall short after a bad start (Mar '09) Mar '09 The Village Idiot 6
More from around the web