Slumping squad needs a confidence boo...

Slumping squad needs a confidence booster

There are 27 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jan 9, 2008, titled Slumping squad needs a confidence booster. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Two weeks ago, at the pinnacle of the Panthers' season, Radek Dvorak stood in the middle of the visitor's dressing room in Atlanta and insisted they needed to keep piling up points.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
YORMARKS COUSIN

Charlotte, NC

#1 Jan 10, 2008
You recruit journeyman quality players and you get average play...
This team and its management hear a different drummer...
They will never make the playoffs much less survive a first round series..
You go to the Panther games to see the opponents play, you go to see Hockey and the stars of today visit us..You do not care or cheer this weak squad of below average players...
RED BARON

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#2 Jan 10, 2008
Dvorak is incorrect. This slump (like all others) has nothing to do with confidence or lack of talent. It has to do with every player not always giving 60 minutes of their best hockey. Finishing checks, blocking shots, making clean passes, winning board battles, screening opposition goalies, winning face-offs, delivering bone-crushing hits and letting other teams know who owns the ice. This team usually plays with only 3 or 4 players carrying the rest of the team. If they all showed some heart and gave a full effort they would see dramatic results. The problem is they don't care and the coach does nothing except juggle lines and hand out sob stories about how 4 of our starting defensemen are out of the line-up (3 of which are non-factors). These sound bites from the players are worthless at this point. They might as well repeat the sound bites from the last 5 seasons because they all sound the same. Nothing ever changes with this club.
Andy

Hialeah, FL

#3 Jan 10, 2008
Have not heard this line all year (MUST WIN GAMES)

WOW, we are in Jan and we are already in must wins!!

Boys, jusy relax, because the playoffs are not in your future. The club will not spend money to pick up a player or 2 for a PUSH.

Here is my suggestion

Call your agent and tell him that you demand to be traded.

Get out of here while you can!
Dr K

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#4 Jan 10, 2008
RED BARON wrote:
Dvorak is incorrect. This slump (like all others) has nothing to do with confidence or lack of talent. It has to do with every player not always giving 60 minutes of their best hockey. Finishing checks, blocking shots, making clean passes, winning board battles, screening opposition goalies, winning face-offs, delivering bone-crushing hits and letting other teams know who owns the ice. This team usually plays with only 3 or 4 players carrying the rest of the team. If they all showed some heart and gave a full effort they would see dramatic results. The problem is they don't care and the coach does nothing except juggle lines and hand out sob stories about how 4 of our starting defensemen are out of the line-up (3 of which are non-factors). These sound bites from the players are worthless at this point. They might as well repeat the sound bites from the last 5 seasons because they all sound the same. Nothing ever changes with this club.
AND NOTHING EVER CHANGES WITH YOUR PUKING CANUCK ATTITUDE. HOCKEY, HOCKEY PLAYERS AND ESPECIALLY YOU JAGOFF CANUCK HOCKEY FANS ALL SUCK!!!GO BACK TO THE FROZEN TUNDRA AND PLAY WITH YOURSELVES, EH!!!
THE TRUTH

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#5 Jan 10, 2008
Did you ever try to listen to those home boy announcers on TV. I did....for 3 minutes. They are the sorriest bunch of whining cry babies I ever heard. Tell Potluck to change his diapers....they stink from the dung.
Alpha Panther

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#6 Jan 10, 2008
Players not playing a full 60 minutes of hockey is only a symptom. The cause is lack of strong leadership and a system of accountability.

Teams like Detroit are competitive year in and year out because of this. Yes, part of it is that they have an owner that is will to spend near the cap to get quality talent. However, more importantly, their organization from top to bottom has good leadership and is based on accountability. As soon as a player is shown not to output as much effort as the others, that player gets reduced ice time. If that player still shows more bad play, they might be moved down a line, become a healthy scratch, get sent down to the minors, or get traded altogether. Their is a negative consequence for poor performance just as their should be a positive consequence for good performance. Because of this system of accountability, their organization develops and attracts players and employees to the organization that are dedicated to excellence. To enforce such accountability takes strong leadership and that is not easy to find or develop. Sometimes a team gets lucky and the players spontaneously sense the expectation of excellence between themselves and create something special like our 1996 team. Such an unusual mix of player chemistry is very rare and is usually fleeting.

Players that are dedicated to excellence collectively fix the problem in the following games, not apologetically come up with the same tired excuses for poor performance. Their lack of accountability and resulting failure to succeed is proven in their play on the ice and their statements to the media.
Cheese 77

United States

#7 Jan 10, 2008
With every other coach in this town under scrutiny, when are we going to start calling for Martin to leave?
Stu

Boca Raton, FL

#8 Jan 10, 2008
THE TRUTH wrote:
Did you ever try to listen to those home boy announcers on TV. I did....for 3 minutes. They are the sorriest bunch of whining cry babies I ever heard. Tell Potluck to change his diapers....they stink from the dung.
I have to agree. Potvin does "suuck". Sometimes there is no positive spin on a terrible team.
theBEEZER

Hollywood, FL

#9 Jan 10, 2008
I can't wait to pay $80.00 a game to see lousy hockey, buy a ten dollar beer, a 4 dollar pretzel and go home disappointed once again. Sounds like fun to you?
Wounded Panther

United States

#10 Jan 10, 2008
Cheer up! At least you can visit the Moishe Poopick Kosher Kart in front of Section 112.
Wounded Panther

United States

#11 Jan 10, 2008
Oops forgot to mention the Moishe Poopick Kosher Kart is sponsored by Complete Power Solutions and Richard Ruble the Rainman.
seraph120

Vero Beach, FL

#12 Jan 10, 2008
I deemed it impossible, but gosh darn it Wounded Panther, you have made me laugh. Your wisdom is belied by your suicidal tendencies.
KellyTilghman

Hollywood, FL

#13 Jan 10, 2008
They should lynch Martin in a back alley.
Wait a Minute

Boca Raton, FL

#14 Jan 10, 2008
Alpha Panther wrote:
......Teams like Detroit are competitive year in and year out because of this. Yes, part of it is that they have an owner that is will to spend near the cap to get quality talent......
Not sure I can totally agree with that assessment. A key reason that Detroit has remained competitive despite the CBA Cap restrictions is because they are probably the best team in the league when it comes to finding talent, particularly later in the draft, picking up players like Datsyuk in the 6th round, Zetterberg in the 7th round, Holmstrom in the 10th round, and then 2nd and 3rd round guys like Draper, Lidstrom and Hudler. Even their 1st round picks, which are never usually near the top of the draft, have worked well.

As for spending, Detroit is only $2 million above the Panthers, at about $47.3 million versus about $45.3 million for the Panthers. That is not a huge difference.
Cronic

United States

#15 Jan 10, 2008
It appears Wounded Panther is a Neil Rogers fan...Isn't that right Moishe?
RED BARON

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#16 Jan 10, 2008
Wait a Minute wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure I can totally agree with that assessment. A key reason that Detroit has remained competitive despite the CBA Cap restrictions is because they are probably the best team in the league when it comes to finding talent, particularly later in the draft, picking up players like Datsyuk in the 6th round, Zetterberg in the 7th round, Holmstrom in the 10th round, and then 2nd and 3rd round guys like Draper, Lidstrom and Hudler. Even their 1st round picks, which are never usually near the top of the draft, have worked well.
As for spending, Detroit is only $2 million above the Panthers, at about $47.3 million versus about $45.3 million for the Panthers. That is not a huge difference.
Detroit definitely has superior scouting, but don't be fooled. I'm sure the Wings will be at or near the cap before the trade deadline. They're not stupid enough like the Panthers to give up too many draft picks and mortgage their future. Afterall, their scouting is what powers that organization when everyone expects them to lose. As in past seasons, Detriot is just keeping their powder dry until just before the trade deadline when they will most likely make at least one or two big splash player rentals before the trade deadline. Even though Bertuzzi was sort of a bust for them last playoffs, I'm sure they'll find a player solid enough to give them that ultra depth they need to do serious damage come playoff time. Afterall, we're talking about a superior organization run by top-notch hockey minds. Not like the bozos we have running the yellow submarine down here. Meanwhile the Panthers just limp along hoping for some kind of miracle because the ownership is too cheap to make a playoff push. Nothing new to report there. Martin might as well declare next season another "rebuilding year" because I'm sure Bouwmeester will be outta here (possibly even by the trade deadline).
Wait a Minute

Boca Raton, FL

#17 Jan 10, 2008
RED BARON wrote:
<quoted text>
Detroit definitely has superior scouting, but don't be fooled. I'm sure the Wings will be at or near the cap before the trade deadline......
They do have a history of making those deadline deals, but this year they also have a few guys to re-sign, so while they have some room, it will be interesting to see how they make it all under the cap this year and next.

But still, when you can get a scoring and playmaking stud like Datsyuk in a late round, along with all the others, that speaks volumes about their organization.

The Panthers do have a few quality kids in the pipeline, most notably Frolik (who was one of the leading scorers in the Word Jrs) and Matthias, who played very well for Team Canada. As for Matthias, don't forget that he was a Detroit draft pick, which makes his prospects for success even greater.
Ryan

Newport Beach, CA

#18 Jan 10, 2008
RIGHT ON KELLY TILGHMAN
Wait a Minute

Boca Raton, FL

#19 Jan 10, 2008
Ryan wrote:
RIGHT ON KELLY TILGHMAN
Right on for what? She simply made a bad choice of words. She's actually friendly with Tiger and has hosted events for him and his equipment sponsors. Take your racist crap elsewhere.
Matt

Austin, TX

#20 Jan 10, 2008
theBEEZER wrote:
I can't wait to pay $80.00 a game to see lousy hockey, buy a ten dollar beer, a 4 dollar pretzel and go home disappointed once again. Sounds like fun to you?
You retarded floridian did it for the dolphins...why not the Panthers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Branislav Mezei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Devils Hold Off Panthers for 3-2 Win (Jan '08) Feb '09 The Other Side 3
News Panthers do hours of team-building exercises (Oct '07) Feb '09 jeffreyfrog 8
News Vokoun would trade All-Star nod for playoffs (Jan '08) Jan '09 Fitzpatrick 16
News Panthers don't plan on picking up free agents t... (Jul '08) Oct '08 NHL Knowledge 132
News Emery leads Senators past Panthers, 4-1 (Oct '07) Oct '08 Nicole Sullivan 7
News Panthers Martin in no rush to hire coach (Apr '08) May '08 Saran Wrap120 103
News THREE THINGS... -- Company Information, BankAtl... (Apr '08) Apr '08 West Coast 58
More from around the web