Islanders trade Bill Guerin to Pittsburgh Penguins

Full story: Newsday 55
The Islanders have traded right wing Bill Guerin to the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Islanders have traded team captain Bill Guerin to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a conditional draft pick, Newsday has learned. Read more
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

Jersey City, NJ

#42 Mar 4, 2009
Eric S wrote:
And Guerin is not our leading scorer Streit is. Guerin leads the team in goals not points. Streit has 9 more points in 3 less games than Guerin. Doug Weight trails Guerin by 1 point but Weight has played 17 less games than Guerin. Guerin has 16 goals in 61 games. Hunter has 14 goals in 53 games. More than 100 NHL players have scored more goals this season than Guerin, look it up. He had a no trade clause that he stated he'd waive only for an eastern conference contender. Demand drives up price. If you eliminate the entire western conference and non contenders in the east and then factor in the needs of those teams that do qualify then Snow did a hell of a job getting something for Guerin because he didn't have many options of where he could shop him.
Thank God! Someone who gets it!
4therecord

Neptune, NJ

#43 Mar 4, 2009
THis wasnt a bad move. My prediction was that the islanders would have got a 3rd rounder. Who in there right mind would give up a 2nd rounder for a dead weight player like weight who is a free agent? Before the trade was done, I said I would even take a 4th or 5th rounder instead of keeping him. He was pulled on saturday because a team that he would waive his no trade clause to(washington) was interested. The deal fell through for whatever reason. I dont know what it was, but it was the perfect time to pull him even with this outcome. What if he got hurt. Then you get nothing! That would of been a real shame. Look the pens are making the playoffs so at worst its a 4th rounder and they will be a tough out in round I so maybe even a 3rd rounder. Islanders are stockpiling on draft picks. Ok so this wasnt a 2nd round pick (I never expected that) but for most of the year I never expected anything in return for weight because of his no trade clause. I was really hoping weight would be around so we could get a #1 for him which the isladners would have been able to do if he had stayed healthy because he would of had 50 points right now and 60+ for the season. ALso Sutton could have been valuable. Could have got a #2 for him, but hes also hurt. What are you ganna do? Draft very well with hopefully tavaras going first overall to us, resign either mccamond or hilbert, try to do whatever you can for someone to take sim, and sign a few free agents, especially a stay at home dmen like Komasarik who the islanders desperately need. Things will get better. LEts go Islanders!
Don Cherry

Atlanta, GA

#45 Mar 5, 2009
Steve Sterling wrote:
Columbus gets Kevin Lalande from Calgary for a second round pick! He is a goalie who has never played in the NHL!!! Bill Guerin is worth a 5th maybe 4th or 3rd round pick as the Isles leading scorer? Are you done drinking the Garth Snow Kool-Aid yet? He has got to go....along with arrogant Flash Gordon (his puppet)
Lalande is a younger player with more upside than a 38 year old right wing on the downside of his career.
Jordans Mom

AOL

#46 Mar 5, 2009
How do you explain to a 4yr old the nasty Business of sports? Bill Guerin was his favorite player. My son is a huge sports fan and he is going to be very upset about this. bill Buerin is a great guy who deserved better. We met him last year at the March For babies walk for march of dimes and he had so much fun walking with us and talking hockey with my then 3yr old. He will be missed here on LI. Good Luck Bill! the Islanders don't deserve a person like you!
Tom Renney

Atlanta, GA

#47 Mar 5, 2009
Wingo wrote:
Islanders are the worst team in the NHL, with or without this Guerin dude. So who cares. They are all stinkeroo, even "superstar" Okposo. And the coach, he he. Perhaps his system will kick in some time in 2047. And wait till they draft this Tavares guy. wasn't that a group in the seventies. anyway, he will stink too. and don't get me started on Comrie, Yanni the Danni and he he he... Rangers rule!
One Cup in 69 years and according to Pud Pulling Wingo from Bellmore the Rangers rule. The shemale is a freakin idiot!
Imus

Atlanta, GA

#48 Mar 5, 2009
Piles Really Suck wrote:
<quoted text>
s-t-f-u loser
Another Ranger fan living in Ronkonkoma where indoor plumbing is a luxuary because all the residents eat *hit
Rangers Suck

Pequannock, NJ

#49 Mar 5, 2009
Lets Go Isles wrote:
Ok Larry and and Rangers suck....what did you expect to get in return for Guerin? I'd love to hear this.
Shouldn't have been dealt in the first place. He's not an impact player that can put a bubble team over the hump. He was more valuable on this team, where he said he wants to stay earlier this year, showing the youth how to act and play in the show. But since Gordon has apparently ostracised him, then the team sits him out for a week.....you've got no choice but to get rid of him, they couldn't let him walk back into the room after that.

With that said, once the "Plan A" fell through (whatever that was), "Plan B" came into effect......Plan B is just get rid of him b/c the team has egg on their face and they can't bring him back after making him an outcast.
WangedAgain

United States

#50 Mar 5, 2009
This team has been rebuilding since 1990.I agree with the youth movement but this is torture already. Move the team to Brooklyn and end our misery.
IslesFan

Middle Island, NY

#51 Mar 5, 2009
This really was a dumb move to trade a guy he was not coming back for a conditional draft picks. Hell the Islanders might only get a guy like Pavel Datsyuk or Henrik Lundquist who were sixth round picks, or Henrik Zetterberg who was a seventh round pick.
BK Mike

Bronx, NY

#52 Mar 5, 2009
Good move by the Isles. They would not have resigned him anyway.
Give kids playing time and hope to finish last and Draft Tavares
skating on sand

Las Vegas, NV

#53 Mar 5, 2009
Imus wrote:
<quoted text>
Another Ranger fan living in Ronkonkoma where indoor plumbing is a luxuary because all the residents eat *hit
I've been out of NY for 16 years and haven't kept up with the local news, when did Ronkonkoma get indoor plumbing? Can you still walk on the water on the lake? The locals still pouring the residue from the meth labs in the lake?
skating on sand

Las Vegas, NV

#54 Mar 5, 2009
I see by most of the previous writings that meth use is way up on the Island. What did anyone expect to get for Guerin? He did a great job under trying circumstances and I hope he does even better with the Pens. He may be the key player they need to jump up in the standings and knock the ranger$ out.(GOD I can only hope!) Did that ever cross any of your brain cell depleted minds?
Rangers Suck

Pequannock, NJ

#55 Mar 5, 2009
skating on sand wrote:
I see by most of the previous writings that meth use is way up on the Island. What did anyone expect to get for Guerin? He did a great job under trying circumstances and I hope he does even better with the Pens. He may be the key player they need to jump up in the standings and knock the ranger$ out.(GOD I can only hope!) Did that ever cross any of your brain cell depleted minds?
You seem angry today Sand
skating on sand

Las Vegas, NV

#56 Mar 5, 2009
Rangers Suck wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem angry today Sand
nope, not angry at all. It just gets tiring reading some of the inane letters in this post. What did people expect to get for Guerin, a first round pick and 2 players? C'mon, they're living in a dream world. As I said previously ,I wish him the best of luck and hopefully he can get the Pens into the playoffs and keep some other team from NY out. Maybe the Isles will help tonite...just keep MCDonald out of the game. Oh hell who am I kidding, Avery is back, the cup is won already.
Isles fan in Georgia

Newnan, GA

#57 Mar 5, 2009
Snow: All day long that was the best deal
Next question: Well who did you call besides the Penguins?
Snow: Nobody, why?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bill Guerin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Isles' Comrie also recovering from hip surgery (Sep '08) Jan '13 Lisa 11
News Capitals, Pens skate to 5-all alumni tie (Dec '10) Dec '10 Disappointed 1
News Penguins sign veteran winger Asham (Aug '10) Aug '10 SportsTwo 3
News Yet Another Look at the Pens Offseason (Jun '10) Jun '10 Lanapinkle 1
News NHL notebook: Perfect power play carries Pengui... (May '10) May '10 Chief Powhatan 1
News Crosby scores 2 to finish with 51; Pens win in OT (Apr '10) Apr '10 Ace 1
News NHL Trade Rumors: Pittsburgh Penguins Math 101 (Feb '10) Feb '10 The Trout 1
More from around the web