Islanders trade Bill Guerin to Pittsb...

Islanders trade Bill Guerin to Pittsburgh Penguins

There are 55 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 4, 2009, titled Islanders trade Bill Guerin to Pittsburgh Penguins. In it, Newsday reports that:

The Islanders have traded right wing Bill Guerin to the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Islanders have traded team captain Bill Guerin to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a conditional draft pick, Newsday has learned.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Rangers Suck

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Mar 4, 2009
simply awesome.........we call this a give-away
Larry Letch

Woodstock, Canada

#2 Mar 4, 2009
Garth Snow you have now received your diploma from the milbury school of management. Way to go! Where do you think wang will take you to celebrate?...Most likely the nearest public washroom.
Choo Choo Charlie

Woolrich, PA

#3 Mar 4, 2009
LOL and the circus continues!
Larry Letch

Woodstock, Canada

#4 Mar 4, 2009
My best wishes to you Bill Guerin. Good luck with the Penguins. You were a class act all the way. Sorry you had to be treated in such an unprofessional manner. The Islander organization did not deserve you. As an Islander fan for 32 years, I am beyond shame.

Since: Jun 08

North Babylon

#5 Mar 4, 2009
Ok Larry and and Rangers suck....what did you expect to get in return for Guerin? I'd love to hear this.
Jay

Kapaa, HI

#6 Mar 4, 2009
The Islander's should have kept Guerin for the remainder of the season. This trade barely helps the Islander's future. Good luck in Pittsburgh Guerin!
Larry Letch

Woodstock, Canada

#7 Mar 4, 2009
Sure he is past his prime, but he was still the point leader on the team and a person who had experience, who the younger kids could go to. He did not deserve to be left in limbo for so long. Re-affirms the Islanders as a mickey-mouse operation in the eyes of the sporting world.

Since: Jun 07

Oceanside, NY

#8 Mar 4, 2009
what a waste of time for him and to be made Captain no less? Another chapter in the book of mishaps.
Jiggs McDonald

United States

#9 Mar 4, 2009
At 38 years old,Guerin is not the same player he was with New Jersey and Edmonton. He is serviceable and assuming he plays with Crosby he might reach 25 goals this year. Since he had a no trade provision in his contract, he had "veto power" over any trade. The Islanders are rebuilding Guerin's contract is up at the end of the year. It's doubtful they would have resigned him. Guerin is a class person I wish him well.
Sickboy

Bronx, NY

#10 Mar 4, 2009
Best wishes Bill. He was a class act on a horribly run organization. Once again the Islanders come out of this as losers. I know it is better to trade him now when he is worth something but a possible 5th round pick? C'MON!!!!! Snow should have thrown in DP so we could at least get Brooks Orpik.

Since: Mar 09

Grand Blanc, MI

#11 Mar 4, 2009
Larry Letch wrote:
Garth Snow you have now received your diploma from the milbury school of management. Way to go! Where do you think wang will take you to celebrate?...Most likely the nearest public washroom.
What did you think the Islanders were going to get for a 38 year old right wing with 36 points?

Grand Blanc, MI

#12 Mar 4, 2009
Jay wrote:
The Islander's should have kept Guerin for the remainder of the season. This trade barely helps the Islander's future. Good luck in Pittsburgh Guerin!
Whereas keeping Guerin in NO WAY helps the Islander's future

Grand Blanc, MI

#13 Mar 4, 2009
Sickboy wrote:
Best wishes Bill. He was a class act on a horribly run organization. Once again the Islanders come out of this as losers. I know it is better to trade him now when he is worth something but a possible 5th round pick? C'MON!!!!! Snow should have thrown in DP so we could at least get Brooks Orpik.
It's a possible 3rd round pick. In all likelihood the Islanders will have an additional 4th round pick. Guerin has no value for any team beyond this season, why would you expect anyone to give up more?

Since: Oct 08

Belleville NJ

#14 Mar 4, 2009
Guerin's contract was up at the end of the year. Did you expect him to sign up again for another tour of duty with the Isles? Of course not, he wants to to a contender. Get what you can for him now! I am dissapointed we just got a possible 5th rounder. Maybe a 5th rounder and a prospect?
Shheeeesshhhh

Bronx, NY

#15 Mar 4, 2009
A bag of used pucks might have been more useful.
raul17

Passaic, NJ

#16 Mar 4, 2009
Guerin is not Brian Rolston and it would have been a disservice to him to keep him on the Island when there was no reason to re-sign him. He also might have been one of the players who just came here because of Ted Nolan (Mike Comrie extended his contract because of Nolan was the coach.) A good player but he wasn't a good fit in Gordon's system.
healy 35

South Burlington, VT

#18 Mar 4, 2009
he can still score and lead the isles in scoring. even a third round pick isn't good. i was hoping a late first rounder maybe a high secind rounder. uuggghhh somebody end the season already
Steve Sterling

Katonah, NY

#19 Mar 4, 2009
Columbus gets Kevin Lalande from Calgary for a second round pick! He is a goalie who has never played in the NHL!!! Bill Guerin is worth a 5th maybe 4th or 3rd round pick as the Isles leading scorer? Are you done drinking the Garth Snow Kool-Aid yet? He has got to go....along with arrogant Flash Gordon (his puppet)
Eric S

Los Angeles, CA

#20 Mar 4, 2009
Steve Sterling. Actually it's Lalande for a 4th round pick. Lalande recently turned 22 and in the 2008 echl playoffs he went 13-6-1 with 3 shutouts. The point is that the former 5th round choice is young and has far more upside than Guerin. We tend to inflate the value of our own players especially ones we like. It takes two to tango. Would you prefer we keep Guerin and watch him walk for nothing?
Ron

Peekskill, NY

#21 Mar 4, 2009
Garth Milbury, Mike Snow

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bill Guerin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Isles' Comrie also recovering from hip surgery (Sep '08) Jan '12 derreck 9
News Capitals, Pens skate to 5-all alumni tie (Dec '10) Dec '10 Disappointed 1
News Penguins sign veteran winger Asham (Aug '10) Aug '10 SportsTwo 3
News Yet Another Look at the Pens Offseason (Jun '10) Jun '10 Lanapinkle 1
News NHL notebook: Perfect power play carries Pengui... (May '10) May '10 Chief Powhatan 1
News Crosby scores 2 to finish with 51; Pens win in OT (Apr '10) Apr '10 Ace 1
News NHL Trade Rumors: Pittsburgh Penguins Math 101 (Feb '10) Feb '10 The Trout 1
More from around the web