Islanders beat Penguins in shootout at Coliseum

Full story: Newsday 21
For all practical purposes, the Islanders' season ended long ago, maybe even as far back as the 9-2 loss they suffered the last time they played Pittsburgh in December. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Brian

Carle Place, NY

#1 Feb 17, 2009
It's funny that the Islanders have a better record than the Rangers over the last 7 games.
Battfist

Columbus, OH

#2 Feb 17, 2009
Brian wrote:
It's funny that the Islanders have a better record than the Rangers over the last 7 games.
And a better coach! Scott Gordon coach of the year next season!
michael

New York, NY

#3 Feb 17, 2009
if the pens didn't suck so much the rangers would be out of the playoffs within a week!
kallur

Andes, NY

#4 Feb 17, 2009
Recipe for Isles turnaround:

1) They have to snag Tavares.

2) Open up the vaults and sign Bouwmeester, contingent upon drafting Tavares. Defense rests.

3) Spend 3-4 million each on two proven 30-year-old pure goal scorers.

4) Says adios to Guerin -- a nice career, not hall of fame, but a very nice career -- Comrie and Sillinger. Re-sign Weight only if knee fully heals.

5) Assign DiPietro to Bridgeport.

4)
champ4

AOL

#5 Feb 17, 2009
yes.the future thats what its all about now.i hope the org does the right moves and brings back the long lost ny islanders.with or without the light house project that would be nice for li but however its still their home.. the team makes it not the barn.lol the rest is still there.please bring back a winning competitive team...it can be done...it will be instresting to see were we go from here.i hope for the ( promise)enough is enough.ya know i have a really strong feelin the islanders are going to spank the rangers tommrow night.i can feel it i know were good enough to beat them.then we can really send them with there pants fallin lol lets go islanders!!!!!!!
skating on sand

Las Vegas, NV

#6 Feb 17, 2009
kallur wrote:
Recipe for Isles turnaround:
1) They have to snag Tavares.
2) Open up the vaults and sign Bouwmeester, contingent upon drafting Tavares. Defense rests.
3) Spend 3-4 million each on two proven 30-year-old pure goal scorers.
4) Says adios to Guerin -- a nice career, not hall of fame, but a very nice career -- Comrie and Sillinger. Re-sign Weight only if knee fully heals.
5) Assign DiPietro to Bridgeport.
4)
I can see the tequila is still flowing in Margaritaville. I went to the Wranglers/Utah grizzlies game on Sunday. Peter Mannino was in goal. He made a nice save on a breakaway and made a dazzling stop by flying across the crease with the net wide open and an opposing player right in front with a sure gimme. Is he ready for prime time? The Wranglers sure aren't much competition. The fans weren't too happy that I was cheering for Mannino.
Brian

Carle Place, NY

#7 Feb 17, 2009
King Henrik gives up 4 relatively easy goals in the first period the other night and the Ranger fans want Renney fired. That makes sense.
kallur

Andes, NY

#8 Feb 17, 2009
skating on sand wrote:
<quoted text> I can see the tequila is still flowing in Margaritaville. I went to the Wranglers/Utah grizzlies game on Sunday. Peter Mannino was in goal. He made a nice save on a breakaway and made a dazzling stop by flying across the crease with the net wide open and an opposing player right in front with a sure gimme. Is he ready for prime time? The Wranglers sure aren't much competition. The fans weren't too happy that I was cheering for Mannino.
He had a really bad outing agsinst... I forget. Bad goals. Of course, that probably doesn't mean much, but does mean he's way down in the Isles goaltending pecking order.
Matty

United States

#9 Feb 17, 2009
Hey Islander fans...I hate to break your spirits given the little roll the Isles are on with the Rangers skidding at the exact same time-
This is still not going to be enough to save the Islanders- this team will be moving off Long Island- Wang and Company bluffed the County and the County didn't bite- In fact, the county doesn't care if the Islanders stay or go- So sorry to rain on your little parade but I'm telling you the truth- GAME OVER.
Battfist

Columbus, OH

#10 Feb 17, 2009
Matty wrote:
Hey Islander fans...I hate to break your spirits given the little roll the Isles are on with the Rangers skidding at the exact same time-
This is still not going to be enough to save the Islanders- this team will be moving off Long Island- Wang and Company bluffed the County and the County didn't bite- In fact, the county doesn't care if the Islanders stay or go- So sorry to rain on your little parade but I'm telling you the truth- GAME OVER.
hahaha- get you head out of your a.z.z. The Rangers have been skidding for most the season.

The Isles arent going anywhere. Especially after they make the playoffs next year and win back the fanbase!!!
Tonelli

AOL

#11 Feb 17, 2009
That was a great game.
Next year, first round draft pick,playoffs and we are back.
We will beat the rangers record of one cup in 69 seasons.
And we won't have to buy the Detroit Red Wings like when the rangers bought the Edmonton Oilers.
Rob

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#12 Feb 17, 2009
Matty wrote:
The Isles are staying. even Bettman is smart enough not to leave NY with a sorry A S S franchise that wo 1 cup every 69 years. the Lions will win a Superbowl before the Rangers win another cup.
Rob

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#13 Feb 17, 2009
Tonelli wrote:
That was a great game.
Next year, first round draft pick,playoffs and we are back.
We will beat the rangers record of one cup in 69 seasons.
And we won't have to buy the Detroit Red Wings like when the rangers bought the Edmonton Oilers.
we beat the Rangers record of one cup in a row a long time ago. since '72 Isles have 4 cups, and Rags have 1. the Rags need 3 more cups to tie the Isles for cups won since '72. so, if the Rags win 1 cup every 69 years, that means its going to take........69 x 3= 207 years. thats right, 207 years to tie us!
Len

Jersey City, NJ

#14 Feb 17, 2009
What the hell happened to the Pens? I didn't think that losing Hossa and Malone would've had such an effect. Fleury ain't lookin so good either. Crosby looked like he powered down just as he was going in during the shootout. A tad demoralized perhaps ?
NYRfan

Stamford, CT

#15 Feb 17, 2009
Len wrote:
What the hell happened to the Pens? I didn't think that losing Hossa and Malone would've had such an effect. Fleury ain't lookin so good either. Crosby looked like he powered down just as he was going in during the shootout. A tad demoralized perhaps ?
Their defense has been injured the entire year. I know Gonchar has not played once this year and Whitney has played but has not looked the same. Also Marc Andre Fleury is probably the most overrated player in the NHL.
ThenewislesGM

Hackensack, NJ

#16 Feb 17, 2009
What the Islanders should be focusing on right now is finding chemistry with their young core. So far, we've seen hints of that on the Okposo, Bailey, Comeu line. If we land Tavares, which we're on pace for right now, establishing to wingers to play with him will be vital. Kovalov could be on his way out of Montreal and if we can land our Smithtown native, Chris Higgins, that might be a decent line to have Tavares center. You have size, hands and hockey sense all on one line. I wouldn't be surpised if that became one of the best lines of the NHL next year. But either way, say we don't get those wingers from Montreal, who do we get. Do we just settle for Tavares and go through another year of losing and maybe getting a #1 or 2 pick in 2010. Garth Snow better keep his ear to the pavement as we have one of the biggest budgets right now to offer players a decent salary. I don't mind if we're going to make a youth movement. But this summer is not just about signing free agents. It's about signing the right free agents. I'm done with this "character" stuff. That went out the window. How about lets get some players that can put the puck in the net and maybe sign for acouple of years, so we can actually build alil faster. We have the money.....
Dave W

West Milford, NJ

#17 Feb 17, 2009
Brian wrote:
But, the Islanders sadly are still the worst team in the NHL. And I, as an Islander fan, realize that the Rangers are a far superior team.

“say what you mean...”

Since: Nov 07

and mean what you say.

#18 Feb 17, 2009
NYRfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Their defense has been injured the entire year. I know Gonchar has not played once this year and Whitney has played but has not looked the same. Also Marc Andre Fleury is probably the most overrated player in the NHL.
gonchar is back...he played in this game.
NYRfan

Stamford, CT

#19 Feb 18, 2009
mommaroo wrote:
<quoted text> gonchar is back...he played in this game.
He had to have just returned. I know he was not playing earlier this month.

“say what you mean...”

Since: Nov 07

and mean what you say.

#20 Feb 18, 2009
NYRfan wrote:
<quoted text>
He had to have just returned. I know he was not playing earlier this month.
you're right..he and fedetenko only just came back valentine's day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bill Guerin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Isles' Comrie also recovering from hip surgery (Sep '08) Jan '13 Lisa 11
Capitals, Pens skate to 5-all alumni tie (Dec '10) Dec '10 Disappointed 1
Penguins sign veteran winger Asham (Aug '10) Aug '10 SportsTwo 3
Yet Another Look at the Pens Offseason (Jun '10) Jun '10 Lanapinkle 1
NHL notebook: Perfect power play carries Pengui... (May '10) May '10 Chief Powhatan 1
Crosby scores 2 to finish with 51; Pens win in OT (Apr '10) Apr '10 Ace 1
NHL Trade Rumors: Pittsburgh Penguins Math 101 (Feb '10) Feb '10 The Trout 1
More from around the web