Isles fall to Pens, clinch first or s...

Isles fall to Pens, clinch first or second pick

There are 75 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 9, 2009, titled Isles fall to Pens, clinch first or second pick. In it, Newsday reports that:

Former Islanders captain Bill Guerin 's score triggered a three-goal third period in a 6-1 Pittsburgh victory that sent his old team to its eighth loss in the past 10 games last night at Mellon Arena.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
LIAM

Deland, FL

#1 Apr 9, 2009
Wanna trade? hahaha
Mee

United States

#2 Apr 9, 2009
With the Islanders clinching last place on the same night the Rangers clinched the playoffs, the question is, which team is better off? The Rangers aren't going anywhere- they don't have any offensive firepower. As the Isles proved a few years in a row, squeaking into the 8th playoff spot and getting thumped in 5 or 6 games by the 1-seed, isn't all it's cracked up to be. At this point for the Isles, I'd much rather have a franchise player from the draft. I think the Isles' fans have more of a reason to celebrate tonight than the Rangers....
There for all four

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Apr 9, 2009
Mee wrote:
With the Islanders clinching last place on the same night the Rangers clinched the playoffs, the question is, which team is better off? The Rangers aren't going anywhere- they don't have any offensive firepower. As the Isles proved a few years in a row, squeaking into the 8th playoff spot and getting thumped in 5 or 6 games by the 1-seed, isn't all it's cracked up to be. At this point for the Isles, I'd much rather have a franchise player from the draft. I think the Isles' fans have more of a reason to celebrate tonight than the Rangers....
I agree with you; until the Isles trade the pick and move down in the draft to get two 2nd round and two 3rd round picks to build the farm system some more.
Dino

Jackson Heights, NY

#4 Apr 9, 2009
Mee wrote:
keep telling yourself that buddy. Yeah its always better to be the worst team in the league.

Have u guys really gotten this used to losing? Want a parade for clinching the title of worst team in the league too? Hand a banner on Al Arbour night
Dino

Jackson Heights, NY

#5 Apr 9, 2009
hang*
Isles Really Suck

Clifton, NJ

#6 Apr 9, 2009
lol worst team in NHL

Hang a banner

You deserve it.
Any team that is happy coming in last are pathetic
Disgrace to the NHL and the "dynasty"

Hahaha.
Isles Really Suck

Clifton, NJ

#7 Apr 9, 2009
NY Rangers
NY #1 team
Playoffs again
Who cares if we get knocked out

Definately better that begging the worst in NHL
Your picks will be busts also.
No #1 draft wants to play for you losers.
Eric Lindros ring a bell ???

hahahahahaha

Let's go Rangers !!!

How do you losers fell wearing the Piles jerseys ?????
Mike

Hicksville, NY

#8 Apr 9, 2009
You Ranger fans really need to focus more on how your team is going to win a playoff game this year and less about how the Islanders draft. This is not some draft where the top 2 players are hit or miss. These guys are expected to come in right off the bat and perform. So yeah, after this terrible embarrassing season, it is something to be happy about. Could you comprehend all of that? Good luck in the playoffs :)
Chris

Syracuse, NY

#9 Apr 9, 2009
Isles Really Suck wrote:
NY Rangers
NY #1 team
Playoffs again
hahahahahaha
Let's go Rangers !!!
Actually the Buffalo Sabres are the best team in New York.
4therecord

Belmar, NJ

#10 Apr 9, 2009
Ranger$ Suck!
But lets not go crazy. Its not fun finishing last and Dino is actually right. I think some of you Islanders fans should atleast wait till tuesday to rejoice or until you see Tavares in an Islander sweater. I heard Hedman is not even suppose to play in the nhl next season.
Jay

Honolulu, HI

#11 Apr 9, 2009
Let's throw down some solid facts here..

1st - It was Brett Lindros and not Eric Lindros. Eric was drafted by the Quebec Nordiques in the 1991 NHL Entry Draft and didn't want to play for them, ultimately he was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers. Brett was drafted by the NY Islander's in 1994.

2nd - NY Islander's salary payroll at $36 million versus the NY Ranger's salary payroll at $44 million.

3rd - Islander's lost over 600 man games to injuries this season

4th - Islander's played 4 goalies this season of which the 2th & 3rd string goalies seen the most playing time.

5th - John Tavares already said he would be thrilled to play for the NY Islander's organization.

6th - With the Ranger's getting off to a 10-2-1 start in September to creep into the final playoff stop in the Eastern Conference is PATHETIC!!!!

7th - I bet you attend Islander vs Ranger at the Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum because ticket prices aren't as ridiculous as those at sold at Madison Square Garden!

8th - For a team full of rookies and older free-agents, the Islander's were able to score 10 fewer goals on 16 fewer wins than the Rags! Refer back to facts #2, 3, & 4.

9th - At least the Islander's didn't allow 10 goals in one game!

10th - Rags will be sweep in the first round by the Boston Bruins.

11th - Will see which NY team is the better team next season, go Islander's!
Isles Really Suck wrote:
NY Rangers
NY #1 team
Playoffs again
hahahahahaha
Let's go Rangers !!!

Since: Oct 08

Freehold, NJ

#12 Apr 9, 2009
4therecord wrote:
Ranger$ Suck!
But lets not go crazy. Its not fun finishing last and Dino is actually right. I think some of you Islanders fans should atleast wait till tuesday to rejoice or until you see Tavares in an Islander sweater. I heard Hedman is not even suppose to play in the nhl next season.
Yes, and let's not forget...this is the Islanders. If there's a way to F this golden opportunity up, they will find it.
Jay

Honolulu, HI

#13 Apr 10, 2009
April 14th is the lottery day then comes draft June 27th which Garth Snow could pull the okie dok again, by trading down in the draft. Stay tuned!
4therecord wrote:
Ranger$ Suck!
Lets Go Islanders

AOL

#14 Apr 10, 2009
The Isles are finally building a strong foundation for the future. It will take some time but will be worth the wait. Garth is restocking the farm system and some of the youngsters are already showing promise. I will get better for the Isles.
As for the the Rags fans, I wish they would focus on their team, but given the classness nature, they always have to post on the Isles site, just to be annoying. It's best to ignore these idiots. I'm sure they won't be posting here after the Rags lose in the 1st round.
LET'S GO ISLANDERS
Billy Jaffe

Smithtown, NY

#15 Apr 10, 2009
Jay wrote:
1st - It was Brett Lindros and not Eric Lindros. Eric was drafted by the Quebec Nordiques in the 1991 NHL Entry Draft and didn't want to play for them, ultimately he was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers. Brett was drafted by the NY Islander's in 1994.
2nd - NY Islander's salary payroll at $36 million versus the NY Ranger's salary payroll at $44 million.
4th - Islander's played 4 goalies this season of which the 2th & 3rd string goalies seen the most playing time.
5th - John Tavares already said he would be thrilled to play for the NY Islander's organization.
6th - With the Ranger's getting off to a 10-2-1 start in September to creep into the final playoff stop in the Eastern Conference is PATHETIC!!!!
7th - I bet you attend Islander vs Ranger at the Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum because ticket prices aren't as ridiculous as those at sold at Madison Square Garden!
8th - For a team full of rookies and older free-agents, the Islander's were able to score 10 fewer goals on 16 fewer wins than the Rags! Refer back to facts #2, 3, & 4.
<quoted text>
I'm a huge Islander fan and you sound like a whiny b*tch. I would much rather be making the playoffs than not. The Isles have absolutely sucked since the 1993 season. Don Maloney completely crippled this franchise by trading Turgeon for Kurt Muller, perhaps the worst trade in the history of the NHL to trade a superstar for a scrub. The only legitimate player they had since then was Ziggy. How can you possibly have a good franchise with drafting/signing only one superstar in 15 years. The Isles need 3 Taveras' and 2 Hedmans just to make the playoffs. So don't count on it anytime soon w/ Snow and Gordon running the team.

P.S. It's great to hear Jiggsy again... Howie Rose is the worst, go back to announcing the Rangers.

“Go Ahead Liberal, Make My Day”

Since: Dec 07

Florida...home of Trump

#16 Apr 10, 2009
kukdos to Islanders; they played with pation to get to their 1st round pick and they got it.
Andy Bathgate

United States

#17 Apr 10, 2009
Dino wrote:
<quoted text>
keep telling yourself that buddy. Yeah its always better to be the worst team in the league.
Have u guys really gotten this used to losing? Want a parade for clinching the title of worst team in the league too? Hand a banner on Al Arbour night
The Rangers are one of the worst franchises in the history of the NHL and you're yapping. The Rangers when they made the playoffs(not very often) in the fifties played there plyoff home games in Boston and Toronto. There was no outcry from the so called "Ranger fans." They didn't care then and they don't care now. They have exactly one championship in 69 years and still Ranger fans don't hold MSG and the idiots that run the Rangers accountable. Captain "Dog Puke" Drury, Marcus Nasland, Scott Gomez and of coures the $7 million dollar a year man Wade Redden make Ranger fans happy? Do you think Ken Holland in Detriot would spend $$$ on this garbage. How about Lou Lamierello in New Jersey would he pay big money to Drury, Redden and Nasland? Clearly, he would not pay Gomez and the Devils are better for it. In Chicago, they have drafted astutely and now they have resurrected the franchise leading the NHL in attendance. The Rangers they drafted Hugh Jessiman. Where are you Hugh Jessiman? The bottom line the Ranger organization is abysmal and it's been that way for a long time. How else do you explain on Cup in 69 years?
Busey

North Bergen, NJ

#18 Apr 10, 2009
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
They are lined up to face Washington as of now...

fyi..I love the injury bug excuse.. you replace garbage with garbage and then say it's because of injuries....

Classic
Walter Tkzachuk

United States

#19 Apr 10, 2009
4therecord wrote:
Ranger$ Suck!
You heard wrong about Hedman.He will be in the NHL next season.
Vic Hadfield

United States

#20 Apr 10, 2009
Isles Really Suck wrote:
NY Rangers
NY #1 team
Playoffs again
hahahahahaha
Let's go Rangers !!!
"Who cares if we get knocked out." Ranger fan your team has already been knocked out. One Cup in 69 years will soon be one Cup in 70 years. Enjoy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bill Guerin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Isles' Comrie also recovering from hip surgery (Sep '08) Jan '12 derreck 9
News Capitals, Pens skate to 5-all alumni tie (Dec '10) Dec '10 Disappointed 1
News Penguins sign veteran winger Asham (Aug '10) Aug '10 SportsTwo 3
News Yet Another Look at the Pens Offseason (Jun '10) Jun '10 Lanapinkle 1
News NHL notebook: Perfect power play carries Pengui... (May '10) May '10 Chief Powhatan 1
News Crosby scores 2 to finish with 51; Pens win in OT (Apr '10) Apr '10 Ace 1
News NHL Trade Rumors: Pittsburgh Penguins Math 101 (Feb '10) Feb '10 The Trout 1