Still on the Books: A Look at State L...

Still on the Books: A Look at State Laws - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

There are 28 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from May 10, 2012, titled Still on the Books: A Look at State Laws - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

While a number of out-of-date laws have been purged from the books in Virginia, there are still some that raise eyebrows or make you wonder 'how in the world this law was enacted in the first place?' We are diving into Virginia's crime codes and taking a look at some of the things you can still be arrested for in the state.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#2 May 10, 2012
They all make sense 'cept the fornication.
They should add dogs to the flamethrower one.

Since: May 10

Charlottesville, VA

#3 May 10, 2012
I don't think the Grizzly realizes A LOT of states still have laws on the books from a different time, and rather than waste the legislature's time with finding and voiding those laws, they allow them to fall in between the cracks and are not enforced.
sville

Farmville, VA

#4 May 10, 2012
single people are not allowed to have sexual relations in the commonwealth. On the books since 1950, fornication - voluntarily having unmarried sexual intercourse - is still illegal and punishable by fine. what is the fine Iam sure they could get billions on this hahahaha
sville

Farmville, VA

#5 May 10, 2012
In Waynesboro it is illegal for a woman to drive a car up Main Street unless her husband is walking in front of the car waving a red flag.

thats to funny
Also illegal

Purcellville, VA

#6 May 10, 2012
to sound a car horn before 11am within 500 yards of a Government funded Section 8 housing project.
May awaken those who do not get up to go to work.
The mail delivery vehicle is exempted if it is the first of the month and the checks are being delivered.
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#7 May 10, 2012
eaglescout1984 wrote:
allow them to fall in between the cracks and are not enforced.
like pot
Scott Davis

Harrisonburg, VA

#8 May 10, 2012
The sale of speleothems should be enforced to the fullest extent. This a very good law. Our caves are being threatened by vandals stealing formations out of caves.
Bubble Burster

Monroe, VA

#9 May 10, 2012
"It is still illegal to spit in public and you can be fined for it."

I remember the time in the early 60's when the Saturday Evening Post ran an article blasting the city of Staunton for this very thing.

They sent a reporter to Staunton for an interview and he was caught spitting on the sidewalk and fined.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#10 May 10, 2012
sville wrote:
In Waynesboro it is illegal for a woman to drive a car up Main Street unless her husband is walking in front of the car waving a red flag.
thats to funny
The way some women drive, this law should still be enforced rofl!
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#11 May 10, 2012
We are in the Bible Belt, the center of the universe for hypocracy.
Drew Wilder

Charlottesville, VA

#13 May 10, 2012
It is still a felony in Virginia for a heterosexual married couple to engage in oral sex in the privacy of their own bedroom. It is unenforceable due to a somewhat recent U.S. Supreme Court opinion, but it remains on the books because what legislator wants to go on record as being in favor of blowjobs? But for the controversial right of privacy in the U.S. Constitution, this law would remain enforceable.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#14 May 10, 2012
Bubble Burster wrote:
"It is still illegal to spit in public and you can be fined for it."
I remember the time in the early 60's when the Saturday Evening Post ran an article blasting the city of Staunton for this very thing.
They sent a reporter to Staunton for an interview and he was caught spitting on the sidewalk and fined.
What if a bug goes into your mouth? Are you still not able to spit it out. I fully understand why the newspaper wrote an article against it. Sounds really dumb to me. But I'm sure it was put in place to keep people who chewed tobacco from spitting everywhere.
elmo

Charlottesville, VA

#15 May 11, 2012
Drew Wilder wrote:
It is still a felony in Virginia for a heterosexual married couple to engage in oral sex in the privacy of their own bedroom. It is unenforceable due to a somewhat recent U.S. Supreme Court opinion, but it remains on the books because what legislator wants to go on record as being in favor of blowjobs? But for the controversial right of privacy in the U.S. Constitution, this law would remain enforceable.
Bill Clinton would, larry sinclair and obama would as long as there is a mirror and a line
Here is a thought

Orange, VA

#16 May 11, 2012
Maybe if the commonwealth enforced the fornication law, the commonwealth would never have to worry about the state's budget! LOL
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#17 May 11, 2012
Here is a thought wrote:
Maybe if the commonwealth enforced the fornication law, the commonwealth would never have to worry about the state's budget! LOL
Easing their hard line war against planned parenthood would also reduce the population, OTOH, less people = less tax revenue.
Dude

Winchester, VA

#18 May 11, 2012
FreelanceEMT wrote:
<quoted text>
What if a bug goes into your mouth? Are you still not able to spit it out. I fully understand why the newspaper wrote an article against it. Sounds really dumb to me. But I'm sure it was put in place to keep people who chewed tobacco from spitting everywhere.
I'm pretty sure that anti-spitting laws were originally put in place to prevent the spread of communicable diseases, most notably, tuberculosis in the late 19th century or early 20th century.
Dude

Winchester, VA

#19 May 11, 2012
heh wrote:
<quoted text>
Easing their hard line war against planned parenthood would also reduce the population, OTOH, less people = less tax revenue.
OTOH those that are getting pregnant and having abortions are socioeconomically more likely to be on welfare = less kids on entitlement programs = less taxes being spent on handouts.
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#20 May 11, 2012
touche
no growth

Charlottesville, VA

#21 May 11, 2012
heh wrote:
<quoted text>
Less people - probably a good idea....be sure to keep the ones who actually work and pay TAXES!
OUTDOORS

United States

#22 May 11, 2012
THESE ARE ALL INSANE!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spelunking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Sex Sent Me to the ER' explains what you shoul... Jan '16 couplelovesex 2
News Expert: Brine well collapse sooner than thought (Oct '15) Nov '15 WOW 7
News Some in Turkey sleep in caves (Oct '15) Oct '15 Lost in Rome 1
News Will Church - Cave' on Marriage? Southern Bapti... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Redeemed 3
News Greece appears to cave to demands, but Europe s... (Jul '15) Jul '15 hmm 1
News Catacombs make a comeback as Jerusalem seeks ro... (May '15) May '15 New Perspective 1
News On Iran, reports of concessions galore (Mar '15) Mar '15 Eli 1
More from around the web