Lechuguilla Cave 3-D photo exhibit opens at museum & art center

Full story: Carlsbad Current-Argus

Lechuguilla Cave is part of the larger cave system that includes Carlsbad Caverns.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 30 of30
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Feb 09

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2011

bing wrote:
How about cottonwood, lost, hidden, slaughter... to even question the names what a turd!!!!Don't remember all the names or care to, just remember that they were an awesome sight so just enjoy their beauty and try not questioning someone you have never met,,,, As far as cutting fossils not here never, I have far to much respect to do somthing so thoughtless....
didnt get snakebit in any of those..
green egg

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2011

Judged:

bing wrote:
How about cottonwood, lost, hidden, slaughter... to even question the names what a turd!!!!Don't remember all the names or care to, just remember that they were an awesome sight so just enjoy their beauty and try not questioning someone you have never met,,,, As far as cutting fossils not here never, I have far to much respect to do somthing so thoughtless....
All the caves you have named are horizontal. Lechuguilla is a vertical cave, requires technical climbing not just a pair of sneakers.
green egg

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2011

Miep wrote:
Hi again green egg. You seem intelligent.
Just a quick caveat...they mostly don't like that here. Though you might have already picked up on that.
<quoted text>
Yep!

“Think before you write!”

Since: Nov 08

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2011

Judged:

bing wrote:
Not all that enter caves are beer-swelling, drug addicted wack-o-loons, technical hahaha what a loser.
Not all, but unfortunately, too many are. Given the treasure that is Lechuguilla, it's a prudent move to restrict access. Sure, especially after seeing the pictures at the museum, I'd absolutely love to visit it in person; however, I'm aware of the reasons for the closure and will just have to accept it.

Will you next get mad at the gov't for not allowing you to visit outer space (although this is an apples vs oranges issue)? Or how about a military bio-tech research facility (this is more in line with your "publicly owned facility" suggestion)?

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2011

It was a perfectly reasonable question, considering that the argument here seems to be about whether everybody in town should be allowed into caves that are severely challenging and requiring a great deal of vertical work. I don't believe that any of the four caves you mention are considered particularly challenging.
bing wrote:

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2011

I'll add that New Cave (Slaughter) is a tourist cave. People go into New Cave in their sandals. For you to use this as an example of why you are qualified to cave Lech is absurd. You might as well be claiming such competence because of having walked through Carlsbad Cavern.
bing wrote:

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2011

I'm personally very angry that the Carlsbad Medical Center won't allow me to perform surgery on the patients. I'm very talented at removing splinters and I know I have a natural talent for these things.

It's a conspiracy, I tell you. I blame the libruls!
squidlyman wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all, but unfortunately, too many are. Given the treasure that is Lechuguilla, it's a prudent move to restrict access. Sure, especially after seeing the pictures at the museum, I'd absolutely love to visit it in person; however, I'm aware of the reasons for the closure and will just have to accept it.
Will you next get mad at the gov't for not allowing you to visit outer space (although this is an apples vs oranges issue)? Or how about a military bio-tech research facility (this is more in line with your "publicly owned facility" suggestion)?
green egg

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2011

Miep wrote:
I'm personally very angry that the Carlsbad Medical Center won't allow me to perform surgery on the patients. I'm very talented at removing splinters and I know I have a natural talent for these things.
It's a conspiracy, I tell you. I blame the libruls!
<quoted text>
Anyone can enter Lechuguilla, provided you are a proficient caver and have some scientific expertise; then you must offer to further the study of the cave or some other relevant scientific endeavour. How about you, bing, ready to go? Look, it really isn't about elitism it is about conservation. There are plenty of caves for "spelunkers" like you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2011

Judged:

I believe it's also limited to something like ten trips per year and you have to apply in advance for a slot, right?

There are plenty of vertical caves, including difficult ones, that don't have such strictures, right? And people generally get experience in these first?

I have in the past made the acquaintance of several people who have worked in Lechuguilla, and this is my understand of how it goes. bing is not being discriminated against, he just doesn't want to follow the normal channels of learning and experience. Or else he is just an attention hound, which is always possible here.
green egg wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone can enter Lechuguilla, provided you are a proficient caver and have some scientific expertise; then you must offer to further the study of the cave or some other relevant scientific endeavour. How about you, bing, ready to go? Look, it really isn't about elitism it is about conservation. There are plenty of caves for "spelunkers" like you.
green egg

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2011

Miep wrote:
I believe it's also limited to something like ten trips per year and you have to apply in advance for a slot, right?
There are plenty of vertical caves, including difficult ones, that don't have such strictures, right? And people generally get experience in these first?
I have in the past made the acquaintance of several people who have worked in Lechuguilla, and this is my understand of how it goes. bing is not being discriminated against, he just doesn't want to follow the normal channels of learning and experience. Or else he is just an attention hound, which is always possible here.
<quoted text>
Yep!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 30 of30
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
Ashburn Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••