Model railroading course gains steam ...

Model railroading course gains steam at the Career Development ...

There are 7 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Aug 11, 2009, titled Model railroading course gains steam at the Career Development .... In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

A model railroading course is in the works for local high school students at the Southwest Vermont Career Development Center, gaining steam after the Mount Anthony Union School Board approved the program Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

AOK

Charlestown, MA

#1 Aug 12, 2009
$20,000 for, at most, 14 students?
And how does this prepare students for living as adults in our community?
Shame, shame, shame on our school system.
Benningtonian

Holyoke, MA

#2 Aug 12, 2009
Read the article again- it said that they would be willing to run it with 4 or 5 students- for $20,000!!!!! Talk about throwing money down the drain!
Starfish

Manchester Center, VT

#3 Aug 12, 2009
Haven't you ever heard the story about the man throwing starfish that had washed ashore back into the sea? When challenged with, "You can't get to all of them in time. Why does it matter?", he threw another one in, saying, "It mattered to that one."
Each student who is engaged enough to remain in school matters. It's a sad thing to devalue it into dollars and cents.
LSU

United States

#4 Aug 12, 2009
Starfish wrote:
Haven't you ever heard the story about the man throwing starfish that had washed ashore back into the sea? When challenged with, "You can't get to all of them in time. Why does it matter?", he threw another one in, saying, "It mattered to that one."
Each student who is engaged enough to remain in school matters. It's a sad thing to devalue it into dollars and cents.
And this is the ignorant Liberal philosophy that has us 3 trillion dollars in dept!
GDog

Miami, FL

#5 Aug 12, 2009
If it so important why doesn't Mr Barone kick in the $20k? I'm sure on his salary he's got more extra scratch than the rest of the taxpayers.
Frank Barone

Charlestown, MA

#6 Aug 12, 2009
I could have eaten a box of Alpha-Bits and crapped a better interview!

http://www.wvah.com/programs/raymond/peterboy...

“279ing my way around Benmont”

Since: Nov 08

not here

#7 Aug 12, 2009
Can't cost anywhere near that much to get the program started. A couple of HO train sets and some construction materials. Get Greenburg to donate that stuff and Wallymart to donate the trains, done deal. What are we ultimately paying for, the teachers overtime to come in an hour early? Maybe there will be one less druggie hanging out by the Waloomsac before school, but a nanny is cheaper than $20,000 and lets not forget those kids who can't mommy to give them a bowl of creal before the bus comes. We certainly don't want to short change them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Models Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trainspotting with the Model Railroad Club of T... (May '16) May '16 Leslie 1
News Listening to women: A roundtable discussion abo... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Barry 1
News Model train show aims to impress (Oct '14) Oct '14 Medewiwin 1
News Seniors build miniature 1950s railroad to recre... (Mar '14) Mar '14 George Perot 1
News Kids at Ohio History Center have fun with toys ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Allen Butcher 1
News Trains chugging in for the holidays (Nov '13) Nov '13 Mick 2
News Riding the rails in Spring Hill (Oct '12) Oct '13 memories 7
More from around the web