Family Outings: At Wonderment in St. ...

Family Outings: At Wonderment in St. Paul, boy makes hat. Imagine that!

There are 7 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 15, 2011, titled Family Outings: At Wonderment in St. Paul, boy makes hat. Imagine that!. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

My 8-year-old son sewed a winter hat for himself the other day. I'm calling it his funky fez.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

More bars in more places

Whitehall, WI

#1 Jan 16, 2011
"Avoid correcting your kids design or stitches"? So, in other words, they aren't supposed to actually be taught anything in this class, they just need to feel good that they made something, even if it is wrong?

That's what's wrong with the world today, no expectations, no discipline or teaching, just make sure the kids have good self esteem. No wonder the Chinese are eating our lunch in education.
SpaceCowboy

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Jan 16, 2011
More bars in more places wrote:
"Avoid correcting your kids design or stitches"? So, in other words, they aren't supposed to actually be taught anything in this class, they just need to feel good that they made something, even if it is wrong?
That's what's wrong with the world today, no expectations, no discipline or teaching, just make sure the kids have good self esteem. No wonder the Chinese are eating our lunch in education.
I think rather than that they mean there is no wrong way. As in artistic creativity. If the stitches come out then they learned that they did it not quite right. It's arts and crafts, not algebra.
Mark

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jan 16, 2011
Who cares?
so very

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jan 16, 2011
gay
RTM

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jan 16, 2011
"That's what's wrong with the world ... "? "Gay"? Wow, I think what's REALLY wrong with the world is that people like these commenters are so narrow and mean-spirited. The point of the article is to showcase an activity that gets people out of the house, gets families to do something together, and gets people thinking about ways to reuse all the crap we have lying around. If it's "gay" - I'll take it. If it means a couple of hours of creativity that will help kids think beyond the test-score obsessed school system - I'l take that, too. My guess is that the children who attend classes like these in fact end up "eating the lunch" of people like More Bars in More Places.(And doesn't that person's screen name say it all?!)
Jamie

Rochester, MN

#6 Jan 18, 2011
Before people bash this, they should read up on Waldorf schools and education.

http://www.whywaldorfworks.org

According to a recent study of Waldorf graduates:

•94% attended college or university
•47% chose humanities or arts as a major
•42% chose sciences or math as a major
•89% are highly satisfied in choice of occupation
•91% are active in lifelong education
•92% placed a high value on critical thinking
•90% highly values tolerance of other viewpoints
StILL BoB to EM

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Jan 18, 2011
Why wasn't this kind of cool Sheeeet around when I was a kid??????????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knitting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ravelry.com connects arts-and-crafts lovers the... (Mar '09) Jul '16 EZknit 234
News At Shore, gay group knits itself into the commu... Mar '16 Billmore and ripoff 2
News Saving Abel returns to Reno to rock downtown at... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Truth 1
News City shop threads together old, new customers (Sep '15) Sep '15 Rainy Day Lady 1
News Winnipegger turned love for vintage kitchenware... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Hus on First 1
News Scarves scattered around Goodale Park are there... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Duke for Mayor 5
News Hats off to Amanda (Feb '15) Feb '15 mayors wife done ... 1
More from around the web