New library can change Sevierville

Jun 29, 2010 Full story: Knoxville News Sentinel 19

Sitting in the Antoinette Ogle Grand Reading Room of the new King Family Library in Sevierville during dedication ceremonies earlier this month, I pondered: Could a building change not just a place, but a people? With Appalachian utilitarianism cultivated by both nature and nurture through eight generations of mountain folk on my mother's side and ...

Full Story
Miss B

United States

#1 Jul 1, 2010
I am absolutely thrilled with it. I worked with a group in High School to help raise money for this library. I loved the project and seeing our name on the wall is even better!
Good News

Kodak, TN

#3 Jul 1, 2010
Don't Feed the Troll
Transplant

Hendersonville, TN

#5 Jul 2, 2010
What is amazing is that some folks here can even recognize their name! They certainly can't find the dentists office. Don't know any shopping other than the dollar store, the tractor supply and the walmart.

They don't seem to be able to bathe or eat anything but deep fried twinkies, flap jacks and fudge.

And don't even get me started on what they've done to Gods beautiful mountains!
Good News

Kodak, TN

#9 Jul 2, 2010
Transplant wrote:
What is amazing is that some folks here can even recognize their name! They certainly can't find the dentists office. Don't know any shopping other than the dollar store, the tractor supply and the walmart.
They don't seem to be able to bathe or eat anything but deep fried twinkies, flap jacks and fudge.
And don't even get me started on what they've done to Gods beautiful mountains!
Just ignore the TROLL with the Cleveland TN ISP Address. He is one of those toothless, brainless morons you describe. He was raised on Deep Fried Twinkies as you can see.
Transplant

Hendersonville, TN

#10 Jul 2, 2010
I beg to differ: we can read, think and express ourselves in a thoughtful and rational manner.

We don't let our school children out of school to see a parade chaired by a plastic surgeons dream who's gimmick is white trash.
Good News

Kodak, TN

#12 Jul 2, 2010
Transplant wrote:
I beg to differ: we can read, think and express ourselves in a thoughtful and rational manner.
We don't let our school children out of school to see a parade chaired by a plastic surgeons dream who's gimmick is white trash.
Ain't that the truth. One more face lift and she will have a beard made out of pubic hair. Dolly Pig is the epitome of Appalachian White Trash.
Good News

Kodak, TN

#14 Jul 2, 2010
Do you think there is any chance that we could teach these toothless and brainless Appalachian heathens to read. That would be a major accomplishment as most of their brain cells are severely damaged from years of alcohol and drug abuse.
Good News

Kodak, TN

#16 Jul 2, 2010
Flabby ass Mgrdichian wrote:
<quoted text>you can't teach a hungry dog to eat, you shit eater.
I am sure that knowledge was gained from experience. A man that caries a cat by the tail learns a lesson that he could learn no other way.
Good News

Kodak, TN

#20 Jul 3, 2010
Part One of Recorded History

Don Williams comments
Mysteries of human depravity and heroism are at the heart of White Caps saga
(Copyright by Don Williams, All rights reserved 05/16/2003)

Thundering hooves and midnight shootouts. Hangings on the courthouse lawn. Riverboat chases. Bush-whackings and assassinations. Bribes and conspiracies. Spies and intrigue. Riots and brawls. Illicit love affairs and outright prostitution. Cold-blooded murder. Theft of property and goods under cover of law and vigilante justice. Outrageous oratory. Dark oaths at midnight. White hoods and whips. Martial law. Moral crusades. Unbelievable courtroom drama and selfless acts of heroism.

Just over a century ago, such acts and events plagued and enlivened East Tennessee life. Throughout Sevier County and parts of Knox, Cocke, Jefferson and Blount, some of the most sordid and heroic dramas in Tennessee history played themselves out to a morbid conclusion, but not before the drama had extended to Nashville, several neighboring states and as far away as West Texas.

In short, outlaw gangs took over much of the state and became more powerful than local government. I'm talking about the White Caps and Blue Bills, mostly of Sevier County. Taken together, these outlaw bands numbered in the hundreds, though some estimates range as high as 2,000 or more.

As a kid growing up in Seymour I heard rumors of White Caps and Blue Bills and their fierce conflicts. However, such things were not much talked about. There are lots of folks living in the area whose ancestors played prominent roles on both sides of the struggle and for many years to even discuss it amounted to a breach of etiquette.

I became better acquainted with the conflict in 1998, when I was approached by a small production company intent on making a movie based on those long ago events. I don't know the status of that production or how much of my research and language ended up in the final screenplay and I'll be more than a little curious to see if anything comes of it.
Good News

Kodak, TN

#22 Jul 4, 2010
Bring the Mutha on! Cripped little freak! Don't sing it bring it freak!
Jimmy Ross

Kodak, TN

#24 Jul 4, 2010
Go blow your siren white trash!
Good News

Kodak, TN

#26 Jul 4, 2010
There is nothing in this world that can stop Sheriff Seals from being elected. He is the best man for the job and very qualified to hold the position. He will be reelected by a landslide and you can take that to the bank.
Good News

Kodak, TN

#29 Jul 4, 2010
Robert Lee Parton was illiterate Scottish/Irish white trash that fathered that pig Dolly Rebeca Parton. Like most of the other filthy Irish drunks in this county they only know how to copulate and not read or write.
Good News

Kodak, TN

#34 Jul 5, 2010
FBP wrote:
<quoted text>
How did Mr. Mdrdichian get to come in and take over our county?
No wonder we're going to hell in a hand basket.
Trust me Mikey does not want any part of the Sevier County Shit hole or the Stupid Baptist Bastards in it.
redlightspecial

Milpitas, CA

#36 Oct 15, 2013
the library staff is silly, they get too nosey in the lives on constituients. I hear one of the employees at one of the branch libraries has a criminal record. At times it seems the staff has more time to focus on their constiuients than on the right to be left alone moral laws.
It goes to show you just nobody gives a darn about oversight of employees for the city. I think citizen haters is the proper term for most the employees especially the kodak branch.
Leigh Ann Davis

Kodak, TN

#37 Oct 15, 2013
Do you really think you can teach them Scot-Irish monkey people how to read? Good lock with that, you have a better chance of nailing jello to a tree! LOL!
I would strongly advise you not to turn your back on them they will steal anything that isn't nailed down and try to fck everything that is.
defector

Mclean, VA

#43 Dec 4, 2013
The library has issues that at times need to be dealt with. There is privacy related issues. That's just how they roll. Times they are pretty nice. Some things need to change. Nepotism and cronyism hurt our towns. There is a lack of common sense when a paycheck is flashed before your very eyes. Cash over your brains is the policy in most county jobs.
carlw

Mclean, VA

#44 Dec 4, 2013
what stinks is the hypocrites that talk about all this fancy tax money coming in to the community. Than they beg for it in front of walmart. I recall the library selling home made goods just to keep open the library. What a hell of a time they give you for being online. The librarians have lightened up a bit.
carlw

Mclean, VA

#45 Dec 4, 2013
Good News wrote:
Don't Feed the Troll
BITE ME Nerd!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Genealogy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
EASTER HOUSE ADOPTEES please post here Nov 18 joanNYadoptees 3
RSS body seeks to prove Indian Muslims are Hindus Nov 8 Yupp111 3
Solving Family Mysteries (Oct '13) Oct '14 Alti2de 3
Oakville Votes: Ann Harvey Hope, Oakville Halto... Oct '14 can we trust trus... 1
Genealogy Query - HAUGHTON (May '08) Sep '14 Winson Saw 3
Cook County adoptees please post here Sep '14 joanNYadoptees 2
Genealogy Query - ATKINSON : JAMES : LOONEY : R... (Apr '08) Sep '14 kathy 2

Genealogy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE