Man Finds 188-Year-Old Bible In Dump Bin

Man Finds 188-Year-Old Bible In Dump Bin

There are 32 comments on the Kdka.com story from Jul 28, 2006, titled Man Finds 188-Year-Old Bible In Dump Bin. In it, Kdka.com reports that:

Electrician Michael Hoskins is not averse to browsing when he drops off trash at the Route 41 dump bin, and a recent visit rewarded his curiosity.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kdka.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
to Michael Hoskins

Lynnwood, WA

#1 Jul 29, 2006
I read an artilce about you finding an old bible in a landfill. It is very good that you saved it and had some misc. facts about bibles and fires. I saw that you found one of the descendants of Isaac and talked to him. Then, you sent him "copies of the family history" from the bible. Great, but to see that you would keep that bible from him and his family because it has some monetary value is disgusting to me. Sure, it's worth $$$, but it is much more to the family of Isaac Enoch. This man has been researching his family for 40 years and you only send him copies of the pages. You should be ashamed of yourself I hope you send it to these people, who should have it. Maybe you can find something else of value to sell while at the landfill.
Marie

AOL

#2 Aug 5, 2006
I have been researching the history of the Lockhart family from Osceola County in Michigan. In the 1870 census records of Leroy Michigan, a John Lockhart, age 32, settled there from virginia, and five others, including a Jacob Lockhart came from Ohio. Would like copies of the genealogy and family names from the book. That would be great. This is a great find for him and I wish him luck with it.
Northerner

El Paso, TX

#3 Aug 5, 2006
to Michael Hoskins wrote:
I read an artilce about you finding an old bible in a landfill. It is very good that you saved it and had some misc. facts about bibles and fires. I saw that you found one of the descendants of Isaac and talked to him. Then, you sent him "copies of the family history" from the bible. Great, but to see that you would keep that bible from him and his family because it has some monetary value is disgusting to me. Sure, it's worth $$$, but it is much more to the family of Isaac Enoch. This man has been researching his family for 40 years and you only send him copies of the pages. You should be ashamed of yourself I hope you send it to these people, who should have it. Maybe you can find something else of value to sell while at the landfill.
Bravo. No need to comment - you took the words right out of my mouth.
Pauline

Ripley, Canada

#4 Aug 6, 2006
Northerner wrote:
<quoted text>
Bravo. No need to comment - you took the words right out of my mouth.
I agree that the book which belongs to Isaac, should be returned! Michael Hoskins reward would be in knowing he was an honest man who did the honorable thing!
Vickie Sue Kammiller

AOL

#5 Aug 6, 2006
To Michael Hoskin,
I write in reguards to this Bible you have found. You say you spoke to a descendant of the owner of this here Bible for so many hours, well if that doesn't tell you that you found and spoke to this man for a reason, one other than your own, obviously, then I really do not know what more you need to tell you that it belongs to the family of the owner of such Bible as this. There may be someone out there of whom you seek for exchange for this Bible yet it is again for the wrong reasons in exchange. You do realize you are being tested by God in rather you are going to do the right thing with this here Bible, don't you. Your descion will only prove to yourself that your "SELF" comes before anyone else, if you wait for the amount of "MONEY" to be offered to you and then sell something worth far more then money is worth. This is "GOD'S WORD" you have in your possion, you know. Not some piece of material as to how you obviously see it as. All I have to say to you is "IF" you do not do the "RIGHT" thing with this Bible, then "MAY THE HAND OF GOD BE ON YOU!" And in JESUS name.
Vickie Sue Kammiller

AOL

#6 Aug 6, 2006
P.S. Did you not hear this man tell you that he knew there had to be a family Bible out there somewhere? In other words it is of great importance to this man to find it. Only it found him instead! Your contacting this man is really God leading you to this man of whom God is checking out your obediance to Him in rather you give it FREELY to this man He has lead you to. OBEY HIM, the consenquences will not be worth the amount of money you may get for this Bible.
Suzanne B

Kansas City, MO

#7 Aug 11, 2006
I am a genealogist too. Receiving copies would be perfectly fine for me. I would rather see this bible sold or given to a museum or library. Where they could take proper care of it. And where everyone can see it. The man he contacted, I am sure is just one of the many descendants of the people listed in the bible. There are more out there, and to give it to just one member would be wrong! It is a bible like any other book. Not everyone holds it in such high regard, and neither do they have to. This is not a religious forum but a genealogical forum. Condemning this man for his great find and not "giving" it to the what you believe is the "rightful" owner is completely unnecessary. Do we want this great treasure to go missing again? That is what would happen if he gave it to one of the descendants instead of a public institution. And no matter what you say, he has the right to wait for $$$.
Barb Gunsch

Gainesville, TX

#8 Aug 21, 2006
Im also related to Abraham Enoch. I live a couple of miles from Mr Lockhart and we met at a family reunion last month. I would like to at least have copies of some pages with the Enoch history.

Thank you
[email protected]
Betty Renick

United States

#9 Dec 31, 2006
I am a direct descendant. I sent my information and $25 to Michael asking if he could make copies of the pages. He cashed my check; no reponse and no copies.
ubusdad98

London, TX

#10 Jan 5, 2007
In most states entries in old family bibles are legal documents. the book should be given back to the desendents of the original owners of it. to u it is a book that might be worth a few dollars. but to the family it is their history. Do the right thing give it back. Ur profit will be in knowing that U did the right thing.
stargazer

Wilkes Barre, PA

#11 Jan 23, 2007
I go to auctions a lot, and sometimes in box lots, you get some sort of family history. If there is a name attached, such as to a picture, I try to track down the rightful owner and will send it to them, no cost. If not, it goes up on E-Bay.

Here is a great genealogy group site I belong to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/p_a_penn/

There are members from all over the US...NY, PA, VA, WV, KY, IL, TX, UT, CA, just to name a few, plus from Canada, Japan, New Zealand.
Check it out.
Gordon Lindsay

UK

#12 Jul 4, 2007
My late aunt took the LINDSAY family bible to Toronto in the 1950's. She & her late husband died in 1969 (Wilhemina & Owen Doherty). Names in Bible include many Alexander Lindsays, & may inc Alex & Jane Cochrane b 1838, d 1892; Alex & Sarah Merrit b 1897, d 1917. Bible lost. Would love to find. Can you help?
[email protected]
anquestor_1

Overland Park, KS

#13 Jul 6, 2007
I have had the great fortunate of having been contacted several years ago by a woman in (I think) Idaho who had come across a family bible in an antique shop. It listed the name of Thomas Harrod...she went online, did some searching, found that I am a researcher of the Harrod line, and she sent me the bible. No charge. It is about 4 inches thick, 12 inches tall and 9 inches wide. It is very ornate, very old; also in pretty bad disrepair. But there was pictures in it, and a little information someone had written - they were connected to the Donohoe family. Right after I got it I realized that it probably wasn't my direct Harrod line so I went searching for someone who actually might be a direct descendant and never did find anyone. If anyone reading this thinks it might be their family, please contact me and I will send you the bible - if you can prove to me that it's your family. That is only to make sure it makes it into the right home and not onto an E-Bay sale page!
Betty Renick

Myakka City, FL

#14 Aug 1, 2007
I am a direct descendant. I send $25 to Michael asking if he could just make copies of the pages. I sent the $25 to cover any cost of copying and mailing. He never acknowledged my request in any manner, but he cashed my check. I receive no reponse and no copies. If he had destroyed my check that would have been fine. I wonder why he thought I sent the $25?
to Michael Hoskins wrote:
jennifer

Ireland

#15 Sep 2, 2008
i came across a family bible about year ago i bought it at a boot sale and have been meaning to findthe rightfull owner.The name on the cover is carpenter.The first birth entry was 1869 in england and the last entry in the deaths was in Dublin Ireland in the 1940's .I dont want to give away too much info.Dont want this book getting into the wrong hands.I hope someone knows something.I think this family may have moved to Ireland around 1870's. tanx
Fletcher John Ivison

Coogee, Australia

#17 Oct 26, 2008
Hi, I have been trying to locate a family connected to fletcher for over 12 years. the bible is date 1802 and there is a 130 yr old letter from his mother in it.
Thats as much information I am willing to give.
thanks
Marilyn-yes the real one

Hollister, FL

#18 Oct 27, 2008
The family discarded the Bible, this man saved it and contacted them, if they want it back they need to purchase it or be content with the information. I have connected with relatives that have old family photos and drawings of my ancestors and they were generous enough to share them by allowing me to make copies. I was grateful.
You all are Insain

Shelbyville, IN

#19 Jan 6, 2009
The Bible was found and all of you people trying to sound all high and mighty about the word of God, being returned to the ancestors of a man are Insain. That man ,the descendent, doesn't deserve the Bible more than any of us. I hope the man sold it or got rid of it. There is no need to long for a Bible even if it is old, but instead to long for Christ and His redemption. So how dare you cast judgement on a man you stumbled apon a Bible that was cast away, and would have disappeared if it wasn't for him. In addition to that why do you care where your family came from, its not going to change you, unless you are trying to find that you are some rich or famous man's decsendant. To take their glory and make yourself out to be better than anyone else. Make your own history, and move on.
Jon Lowder

Charlotte, NC

#20 Jan 22, 2009
AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!
Reverend Thumper

UK

#21 Jan 23, 2009
perhaps a thumper and basher like me had worn it out? Too much pounding knocks the stuffing out of them . I recommend the special heavy-duty "Thumper's Bible" , as used by mail-order Reverends everywhere.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Genealogy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Patriotic legacies: Mississippians trace their ... Aug 24 Rod Knox 10
News Peotone Town Chatter (Jul '12) Aug 22 poedunkville 19
News Searching the past (Apr '10) Jul '15 Down farts 5
News Genealogy Query - DAVIES : HENRY Jul '15 joanNYadoptees 1
Attn: Birth parents and Adoptees - Reunite at Jun '15 joanNYadoptees 1
NJ Adoptee female DOB 8/27/63 "Nancy Ann" Jun '15 joanNYadoptees 2
News Genealogy Query - KELP : RADAKER Jun '15 joanNYadoptees 1
More from around the web